PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, where WILL our extra cap dollars go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
So we're some $20 million under the cap and it doesn't look like it'll be used on free agents -- at least, not in the current cycle. Assuming the Patriots intend to spend to the cap this year, what are the remaining options for how this money might be allocated? And what are the remaining scenarios under which we might still bring in impact free agents to fill obvious needs?

Moulds get released.
Sey gets extended
Branch gets extended
Keith Bullock gets released
Pats sign an OL (maybe Neal)
Pats sign a TE or CB (Dyson)

This is my response from another thread :

I don't think the Patriots have any particular player they expect to use the cap money on. And it's entirely possible they'll get caught with their pants down with nowhere to spend the money. In which case they'll have to make some unattainable LTBE bonuses and save the money for next year. However, they have put themselves in a position of having lots of money and hoping that something breaks with a cut or a trade possibility. Expecting some awesome cuts is a risky game. I think we simply don't want to overspend on anyone, are hoping for an attractive veteran to break free, and can always shift the money to next year through LTBE bonuses if necessary.

and we need a kicker, perferably Adam or maybe Edinger.

Why do make this conclusion?

Please indicate how much cap money the pats spent in the 1st week of free agency since bb has been here.

We WILL spend $15M or so on free agents and extensions. The rest will pay rookies, player 52, player 53, the practice squad, those on IR, and in-season replacments.

Tunescribe said:
So we're some $20 million under the cap and it doesn't look like it'll be used on free agents -- at least, not in the current cycle. Assuming the Patriots intend to spend to the cap this year, what are the remaining options for how this money might be allocated? And what are the remaining scenarios under which we might still bring in impact free agents to fill obvious needs?

Are we at the point yet where they can be considered "extra" cap dollars?

How bout a new Quizno's outside the stadium....

CrazyDave said:
Are we at the point yet where they can be considered "extra" cap dollars?

"Unspent" might be a better word in this specific case.

I suspect BB assumes many good players will be let go after June 1st, that when we'll see them spend most of their cap money.

mgteich said:
Why do make this conclusion?

Please indicate how much cap money the pats spent in the 1st week of free agency since bb has been here.

We WILL spend $15M or so on free agents and extensions. The rest will pay rookies, player 52, player 53, the practice squad, those on IR, and in-season replacments.

I don't recall whether the signings of Rodney, Colvin and Ted Washington were in the first week back in 2003, but that was the year Belipioli were very aggressive and it paid off. I hope you are right.

Tunescribe said:
I don't recall whether the signings of Rodney, Colvin and Ted Washington were in the first week back in 2003, but that was the year Belipioli were very aggressive and it paid off. I hope you are right.

Harrison and Colvin were not in the first week. In fact both were supposedly signed sealed and delivered elsewhere before we signed them.
Washington was a trade halfway though pre-season games.

miamipat said:
I suspect BB assumes many good players will be let go after June 1st, that when we'll see them spend most of their cap money.

Will June 1st really be an issue this year? I mean right now most teams are considerably under the salary cap. Even with large roster bonuses, etc, teams can afford to keep players that they would have to previously release due to the salary cap. Of course, they may decide that Joe Schmo is not worth 10mil, but it won't be because of the salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back