PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So When do Our Draftees Become UFA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know with the new CBA that we can sign Maroney to 5 years and the others to 4 years. But do they all become UFA after that first contract ? I can't keep up with all this stuff.

That is a very good and important question that would be good to have info on.

I think that it is still four years before they can become UFA's. Maybe someone like Miguel could answer that one for us. I did look at his pages but couldn't find anything.

Good question.

Bump to the top.

Its all but gauranteed that Jackson will be signed to a 5 year deal. The others, 2-5th will be signed to 4 year deal. I think the 6th and 7th rounders have only been signed to 3 year deal in the past. That way, if they DO produce, they are restricted for one year . If they don't then no harm done.

I thought that the new CBA said that non-first rounders can only be signed for four years? Can someone help me out on this? Thanks!!

Jonnyyy said:
I thought that the new CBA said that non-first rounders can only be signed for four years? Can someone help me out on this? Thanks!!

The maximum length of time a non-first rounder can be signed is 4 years.

Picks 1-16 of the 1st round can be signed for 6 years. Picks 17 - 32 can be signed for 5 years. All other picks are a maximum of 4 years.

DaBruinz said:

Picks 1-16 of the 1st round can be signed for 6 years. Picks 17 - 32 can be signed for 5 years. All other picks are a maximum of 4 years.
Thats BS so now after 4 years they are all UFA. BullS*** :mad:

SeanBruschi54 said:
Thats BS so now after 4 years they are all UFA. BullS*** :mad:
That's why I asked, if they're UFAs after 4 years that really blows.

BelichickFan said:
That's why I asked, if they're UFAs after 4 years that really blows.
I'm Glad Gene Upshaw had to have that in the new agreement. Mother F'er.:mad:

Last edited:
Guys, why are you upset? The easy way to circumvent this is to give every player outside the 1st round a 3 year deal that is incentive laden and cut the signing bonus money down. It actually costs the rookies outside the 1st round more money in short term.

After 3 years, you re-negotiate with them if they are worth it. If they aren't, you part ways.

Last edited:
But if we sign some of those later round picks to only 2 years contracts, they are still RFA's until after their 4th year, right?

PATSNUTme said:
But if we sign some of those later round picks to only 2 years contracts, they are still RFA's until after their 4th year, right?
As far as I know that hasn't changed but Miguel or another CBA expert may correct me.

DaBruinz said:
Guys, why are you upset? The easy way to circumvent this is to give every player outside the 1st round a 3 year deal that is incentive laden and cut the signing bonus money down.
Rookie signing bonuses and salaries are slotted. You will not get pick 86 to take less bonus than pick 87 got.

DaBruinz said:

This brings back BB's talk a couple of months ago about the pro game changing to be more like the college game where you have guys for 3-4 yrs and then have a turn-over. The fact that we have an excellent, independent scouting program will serve us well.

The question is still out there.

Does anyone know,that under the new CBA, if players are still UFA's until after their 4th season?

PATSNUTme said:
The question is still out there.

Does anyone know,that under the new CBA, if players are still UFA's until after their 4th season?

Players become ERFAs if at the end of their contract they have less than 3 accrued seasons.

Players become RFAs if at the end of their contract they have 3 accrued seasons.

Players become UFAs if at the end of their contract they have at least 4 accrued seasons.

Miguel said:
Players become UFAs if at the end of their contract they have at least 4 accrued seasons.
Boooooo. But thanks for letting us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes