Welcome to PatsFans.com

So when did I miss the fact that the Pats lost yesterday?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsRI, Oct 9, 2006.

1. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Turned on the radio this morning and then looked at this message board and even though I was at the game and looked at the scoreboard when the clock hit zero I must have missed how the Pats lost yesterday. The bitc*ing and moaning "fire the OC, no WRs, the secondary stinks" etc, etc. People seem to forget that in the 14-2 seasons they needed games like Troy Brown running 50+ yards in OT to win in Miami, a loss to a 4-12 Miami team, a last minute FG to win against crappy Houston, a 9 to friggin 3 win against Cleveland, a 17-6 win against the Giants, a 12-0 win against Dallas, a 12-0 win against Miami in New England, a 23-12 win against the crappy Cardinals, a 13-7 win against the Jets......I think we get the point. Did Brady stink, the WR suck, the OC be the worst coach, the field be perfect in those 14-2 seasons? Now analysis is one thing but people have to realize that Indy has been winning regular season games 40-3 alot in the past 4 years. What has it got them besides nothing. I can promise you the Pats will have a few more below 20 point offensive outputs this year. But then they had about 5 in 2003 when they went 14-2. As for the D I'll take 13 then 10 points every 2 weeks. Heck the 17 against Denver isn't horrible either. They have starting getting the turnovers that everyone was looking for. 4-1 into the bye and probably the toughest stretch of the schedule behind them should be a cuase for happiness not misery but then again this is New England.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  2. ironwasp

ironwasp Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm completely with you. I'll take 4-1 at the bye after a pretty slow start to the season. And as for yesterday, we beat a pumped up team that we knew - irrespective of how their season has been so far - would be ready to take it to us. Our t/o count is imroving and we are stopping the run pretty well; our ST teams worked out a lot better (our rookie K made two good FGs). The offence, struggling though it was, made enough plays for us to win.

We have time to work the kinks out before it really matters and at the moment, we're pretty well placed to make a good run at the SB in an inconsistent, mixed-up AFC. I'd rather be where we are than where the Colts, the Steelers, the Bengals are right now. Never mind the Dolphins, Jets and Bills.
  3. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The funny thing too is that we had a good sized thread with people stsing how they were "worried" about this game. They covered the spread and could have scored another TD but sat on the ball at the end.

Here's a quote from Troy Brown (Borges column) that I think sums it up nicely:

``We play classic, old-school football," Brown said. ``A lot of people don't like to watch us. They don't think we're very good. But this is the way the game evolved from Don Hutson. Grind it out. Remain calm. We got a generation today that believes if you're not exciting you're no good. They love the 70-yard strike, but what you've really got to do to win is score on short drives. You have to score points on them."

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...hing_about_brown_hell_go_the_distance/?page=2
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 9 / -26

Thank god a voice of reason thread, people want to fire McDaniels, bench Maroney on and on.. this is a very good team and it is evolving into a better one. We played an ok game yesterday, we won and covered the spread. I do not understand the continual thread of negativity that permeates this board, the Pats have some needs, but play to their strengths. Remember all of the ship is sinking Vinateri, Givens, Branch and McGinnest have moved on and we are doomed. After six weeks of NFL we will be 4-1, our team is 2 games ahead in our division, our D is playing great and our O is doing ok, but will only do better. Lets start talking about body language again.. this is a very good team and I will stick with my preseason prediction that they will win 11 or 12 games.
  5. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Did someone honestly say that Maroney should be benched after yesterday?

If so, I don't know what to say. :confused:
  6. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think it's a lot of the new fans, not just new Patriots fans, but also new football fans, that don't understand the game. They fail to realize that since Brady has been in the league he has struggled against Miami's defense. And for the most part he struggles against Denver also.

The fail to realize that every game is not going to be 28-3. For the most part during the Pats run, as you have pointed out, the Pats really have never blown anybody out. The johnny-come-lately's see the 3 Super Bowl Championships and expect big wins every week.

And if they happen to look at the Super Bowls, they won all 3 by a combined total of 9 points.
  7. Bella*chick

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well, that's true but even some longtime fans seem to forget how tough Miami is for us EVERY year. My father watched the game with me yesterday and was ranting and raving about the Pats were going to lose, how awful Brady looked, etc. etc. It was like he had never seen it before. I was surprised and told him that this was pretty much how I expected it to be, given the way the teams had always played each other in the past.In fact, the no INTs had me really happy. Guess I'm just easy to please.;)
  8. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Did he (and all the naysayers) watch the game two years ago when a 14-2 Patriots teams lost to a 4-12 Miami Dolphins team 29-28. A game where Brady threw either 2 or 3 picks ( I cant remember off the top of my head how many he threw).
  9. ilduce06410

ilduce06410 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BellaChick, it was ugly......

BellaChick, what i loved yesterday is that patriots were stymied on both sides of the line ('truck' traylor loooked allright), but we won the dang game anyway. somebody wrote we coulda had another touchdown at ze end. patriots capitalized on miami mistakes. for years, we LOST those games 'cause WE were the ones screwing up.
    how 'bout that asante samuel? in his rookie training camp, ty law said he was a "ball magnet". every game he gets his hands on the ball a couple times, wheter he catches it or not. seeing a DB do that gets in QBs' head.

that's one of the marks of excellent teams--might not have a good day, but win anyhow, special teams, good bounces on fumbles, favorable calls. was chambers in or not? for decades pats use ta get all the adverse calls, bad bounces, etc. good teams DO create luck. for patriots this never happened until parcells/BB got here.

Pats-Miami is a tough game every year i can remember. no matter the records of the teams. i remember seasons when pats were headed for 2-14 seasons but the miami game was close. the one exception was when the scheduling gods put pats in miami (80 degree games) in december. the heat did our boys in every time. notice, we haven't been scheduled to go there in hot weather for years.
    dan marino always had a bad time against patriots, no matter who thhe coaches or the players were. so i loved it. Bella, it's nice to see the homeboys win by a pretty good margin even when they su___ed from the line of scrimmage.
  10. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

I'm not sure if I understand this thread or the title - or the point of this thread

Is it the "fact that the Pats lost yesterday" when of course they didn't?

Of is it a "fact" that was "lost" on the Patriots?

Regardless, I know there were a lot of comments about kneeling to end the game and the boos that erupted... That's inexcusable... nor is 4-1 anything to be anything but up about.... we need to peak in the playoffs, not the regular season, and we're six, if not 5 wins away from clinching the AFC East the way the other teams have been playing.

But speaking for long-term die hard fans, many of us - like Coach Belichick and Parcells before him - go out of our way to look for improvement after a win, and find the silver lining after a loss.

Thus far this season, even with 4 wins, the team has not shown an ability to get into a strong offensive groove, and a strong and consistent deep threat.

Grind-it-out smashmouth old-school football is fine with most people. They just want to know for sure that if your offense needs to put up 38 points to win a game, they can when they need to.

There's been some good signs of that here and there, but nothing thus far that gives us the confidence that Brady and his offense can do that like we've seen in previous seasons. (and of course, the 38 points against Denver was heavilly defensively supported... not that I'm complaining)

So having fans that don't get too high after a win or too low after a loss is a good thing in my opinion and I think there's plenty of phases of the game that this team MUST improve upon.

This is not a Super Bowl Champion caliber team. YET.
  11. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Now that's my kind of football babe! ;)

PatsRI: If we "didn't" lose, does that mean I don't have to read NEM & friends attacks on all things Patriot?
  12. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +280 / 18 / -2

Re: BellaChick, it was ugly......

You have a selective memory. Miami never worried about us in the old days. They beat us in Miami 15 years in a row before Eason broke the streak on the way to becoming "doe eyes" against the bears.

13. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I totally agree with you. It's the redsox syndrome. It's the fellowship of the miserable.
  14. brady2brown

brady2brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: BellaChick, it was ugly......

What?

We held the other team to 10 points.

We scored 30 points and it could have been 37 if we hadn't kneeled for the entire last two minutes on the 6 yard line.

What do you people want? You cry we never blow teams out, and when the score is lop-sided in our favor, you pretend it was the other way around.

We were so stymied on D we held a team, a division rival that ALWAYS play us tough, to 10 measy points.

We were so stymied on O, we scored 30 points.

What are you talking about?

Enjoy the win.
  15. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ther are pretty wins, homely wins, but no ugly wins.

Last week when we beat Cincy it was a pretty win. This week it's a homely. Last week all the nay-sayers and chicken littles were silent. This week they are out in force again.

All I can do is report from Homerville is the there"s a bright sun out to day. It's nice and warm and the foliage is just starting to turn very pretty colors.

So, the nay-sayers can look at the thing as half empty. We in Homerville are enjoying the hell out of this season and know that it's going to be enen better for the next 11 games.
  16. Bella*chick

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Saying the offense needs to pick up in the wake of the game is just stating the obvious. Last week, there was a lot of talk about how things were coming together, but PLENTY of people here who are very smart and levelheaded had a "concerned about Miami?" thread that pretty much anticipated what happened yesterday. And it DID happen. So we have things to work on. We always do, we have known that since day one. So this isn't yet a Superbowl team. Luckily, the Superbowl isn't being played for a few more months. Threads screaming about who needs to be benched and fired do not make any sense in light of the fact that NOTHING out of the ordinary really happened yesterday when it comes to Miami. The team is working to get better, whether or not anyone here believes it.
  17. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Gotta love historian Troy Brown with his Don Hutson reference. I hope after he's finally caught that last pass the Patriots find a coaching job for him.
  18. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

I think we can def get better, and the bye came at a good time (although i won't think so next sunday when i can't find the pats on:D ) The one positive i am taking right now from the season is the fact that the pats have that "spirit" about them that they didn't have last year. That spirit of bend but don't break, and make the plays when you need them. They could have played a whole lot better yesterday, but the fact remains that the fins outplayed us in every offensive category and we still won the game by 10.....call me crazy but i think we've seen this trend before:cool:
  19. TomBrady'sGoat

TomBrady'sGoat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I am thrilled with a 4-1 record, 3-0 in the division, and no team in the division which looks like it can challenge the Pats. Many fans are just spoiled or get off on being negative.

At no point yesterday did I think the Pats would not win. That isn't being a homer, that's from watching this team from the last few years and knowing that they win close games. I'm sorry that you whiners need the game to be over in the 3rd in order to be happy, but as long as it is close going into the 4th I am confident in the Patriots winning the game.

And if they don't win it isn't the end of the world. Did someone say something about not losing back-to-back games in something like 4 years?

*edit* Oh yeah, and I was at a bar yesterday where a Pats fan was yelling at the tv, pounding his barstool into the floor. He was pissed off even though his team was up by 3. I think my girlfriend is afraid to go back there.
  20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +404 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm not even reading this board today, I'm embarassed to be part of it. Talk about spoiled fans.