PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what's up with Shane Vereen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guts

Akatsuki
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know the team has had a horrible season so far by our standards, but I always figured Shane Vereen was going to have a good year regardless how the team fared and so far he has underwhelmed. Is it coaching issues? Fundamentals? Football gurus input would be appreciated.

man .. everyone is getting bullets on this team ... can't wait for .. "What is going on with Andre Tippett? His performance is not up to standards in the community." ..lol.. just teasing op

Vereen had a decent day catching the ball on Monday.

His bread and butter has been the screen game. Opposing defenses seem to have gotten the Pats' number on the screens lately. I don't know if it's good defense, bad timing by the offense, or if the offense is tipping them off somehow.

He's had 4 good games his entire career: against the NYJ and Houston in 2012, Buffalo and Cleveland last year. That's it as far as I remember. Not exactly against top notch competition either. There's a chance that he's just wildly overrated.

Poor offensive line play has affected everyone on offense.

Maybe he mouthed off to McDaniels? (too soon?) :D

Nothing really.
4.4 YPC
#2 on the team in Receptions- 14 rec on 20 targets.

They're only throwing screens to him and he has been getting crappy blocking and McDaniels can't be bothered to call some plays that have him running out against LBs. Instead he's getting the ball thrown to him 3 yards behind the line and has to wait for a lineman to get over and throw a block while 2-3 guys are closing in on him because Dobson and KT are in street clothes and allowing the S and CB to not have to worry about any threat of a deep ball.

Last edited:
Do some members sit around thinking up so "what is up with X" threads?

Gee who hasn't posted about this problem yet?

Hmmm ... what other problems do we have?

McDbag miss labeled his personnel groupings the last few weeks so he and Ridley got switched up. Honest mistake really.

It's simple our O-Line is not very good, we have no downfield threats so the screen/dump off pass are stuffed because they know what we will do.

Back in the day we had Gronk/Aaron/Welker as threats down the field and if the defense played off we could just dump it off to Vereen and let him run wild. Now we have no deep threat and corners can play press and safeties can play in the box.

In my opinion we need to go to a 2 rb set with Ridley and Vereen in the backfield. Edelman/Tyms or Lafell with Gronk obviously up front. Lets simplify things first

It's hard to run the ball and catch screens when you have a high school team blocking for you.

Thoughts on Vereen?

Before the season, most of us expected Brady could atleast count on Edelman and Vereen as reliable, healthy targets. Through the first quarter of the season, Vereen has only 14 receptions for 93 yards (He's somehow still #2 on the team for receptions).

Considering how poor the WR core and OL has been, is anyone else surprised at Vereen's limited production/usage? He's been a breakout candidate around here for some time, yet his career high in total yardage & TDs is only 627/4.

Is it a matter of the coaches misusing him, or is he just an overrated player in general? One would figure he could be more useful than he is currently. Why not some WR snaps over he shall not be named?

EDIT: Oops. Mods please close/merge with other thread.

i also thought vereen would be a major player in our offense but he's not being used.
mcdaniels has lost his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back