PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what's the writing on the wall for BJGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
but the guy is not a game breaker or someone that can periodically carry the offense if need be. I am convinced BB wants this as TB gets longer in to the tooth.

For years The Patriots have used the run to set up the pass, it was a diversion from what the patriots really wanted to do which was pass down the slot to Welker or bomb it deep to moss, perhaps every once in a while they would pass it to Faulk but for the most part, the patriots were a very one dimensional offense.

Even since Randy Moss became less of a factor in recent years, everyone who knew the patriots knew what they wanted to do, when things got tough, the patriots would always go back to the pass, they would abandon the run entirely and it would be so obvious they would pass every play that defenses knew they could drop back.

After the success of the Tight ends and the running game last year, i am convinced that Belichick and Bill O'Brian now want a balanced offense, that is, they want to hurt you as much on the ground as they can in the air so teams cant guess which play you will run next.

BJGE is not a superstar, but he gives you what you need. there is no runningback available that the patriots were prepared to bring in here who could be the star many people think the patriots need to be successful.

what the Runningbacks the patriots now have give you is balance. Vereen and Woodhead have shown they are pass threat options, in a pinch, BJGE can also be utilized in this way, it keeps defenses from settling in.

when everyone in your backfield is a pass catching threat and you have one of the most accurate and safe passers in the game throwing them the ball, your offense becomes almost unstoppable. you find the matchups on the field where you know your guy can beat them and you exploit it.

There are very few teams in the NFL who are capable of being as versatile as the patriots are offensively right now.

At the start of last year the Patriots' backfield looked like this:

Fred Taylor, 35
Sammy Morris, 34
Kevin Faulk, 34
BenJarvis Green-Ellis, 25
Danny Woodhead, 26

After drafting two quality RBs, the Patriots' backfield now looks like this:

BenJarvis Green-Ellis, 25
Danny Woodhead, 26
Stevan Ridley, 22
Shane Vereen, 22
XYZ (not sure who a 5th RB would be, if any)

Drafting these two RBs may not have been so much about replacing Lawfirm and Woodhead. Maybe it was simply that the Pats like using a lot of RBs, and they wanted to not have to rely on guys in their mid-30's.

None of us would have wanted the Pats to be in a position last year of having to bank on Fred Taylor or Sammy Morris. Not at their respective ages. Now, if Lawfirm goes down, I don't think any of us would worry too much if they handed the ball to Vereen or Ridley 10 times a game.

The position just got a *LOT* younger, quicker, and stronger, and with the added benefit of adding pass-catching ability as well. In other words, the Pats' RB corps got an awful lot better, without spending a 1st round pick on a "name" RB.

I agree 100%

BJGE is a one-dimensional power runner but he and Woodhead aren't going anywhere. The rest of the backfield needs to be evaluated. Obviously Faulk is coming off reconstructive knee surgery..... and will be 35 next month. Taylor is 35 and Sammy Morris is 34. All three are free agents.

Again...I for one am glad BB is drafting players and not any of us 'couch coaches'

Wow, we sure can get wrapped up in analysis. The team has three old RB's who are rotating off the roster this year. They drafted two young ones, with different styles, because they were a good value at that point in the draft and they need players on the roster at that position. The coach just wants to be able to field a football team of the best players he can get, and have enough bodies around to create competition. There's no reason to think about it any more than that.

I thought the Draft sent a clear message and it had nothing to do with the Law Firm.

Look at four of their first five picks: Big Tackle, two RB's, big TE who knows how to block.

Everybody's focused on figuring out the Mallett pick or bemoaning the lack of a new Pass Rush threat, but this draft to me was all about prolonging Tom Brady's career so he can play at a high level for his entire contract. A smash-mouth running game behind a big line will take some of the heat off of him.

Exactly - not sure why it took 4 posts to bring out this point but Belichick didn't draft young RBs to replace his young RBs - he drafted young RBs to replace old RBs.

Bingo. Lawfirm will be here. Woodhead will be here. So will the two new kids. All BB needs to decide is if he wants a 5th RB and if so, who that guy will be.

I thought the Draft sent a clear message and it had nothing to do with the Law Firm.

Look at four of their first five picks: Big Tackle, two RB's, big TE who knows how to block.

Everybody's focused on figuring out the Mallett pick or bemoaning the lack of a new Pass Rush threat, but this draft to me was all about prolonging Tom Brady's career so he can play at a high level for his entire contract. A smash-mouth running game behind a big line will take some of the heat off of him.

One thing to consider, related to the point you just made above. The NFL works in cycles. Sometimes a 4-3 defense is in vogue and everyone plays it. Then someone will go to a 3-4 and, because they can get the elite 3-4 players in the draft (a NT is different from a DT; a 3-4 OLB is different from a 4-3 OLB, etc) because few teams play a 3-4, they see success. Other teams then try the 3-4, and it becomes "normal" in the league. Then it cycles back.

BB might just be getting ahead of the next curve. Right now, the NFL is geared towards passing. The rules favor passing teams, teams throw a ton, etc. So defenses are reacting by putting more DBs on the field, becoming smaller and quicker to handle spread offenses.

Ok, that's great. So what's the counter to that? How about loading up with TE's and a stable of really good RB's. Especially ones that can not just run the ball or block, but also can catch as well? We're so used to an offense that spreads it out, giving Brady 5 receivers to throw to (4 WR and a RB, etc.).

You can see a lineup of 1 WR (say, Welker), 2 TE (Hernandez/Gronk), and 2 RB (Ridley/Vereen). Line up in a power formation. Ok, what's coming? If the D plays "small" with DBs, they can just power run right through them. If the D plays "big" with extra linemen or LBs, that allows Gronk, Hernandez, Ridley, and Vereen to have matchup advantages with respect to pass routes.

It still opens up the field for Brady to have a lot of targets; but it gives the Pats more variety because they can just power run *or* go to an aerial attack, as the defense allows.

It may not be what we're used to, but man, with that talent this team has assembled, I think it could be a highly effective offense.

Just my 2 cents.
BJGE is safe and sound on the Pats roster. He doesn't fumble and gets positive yards.
The issue is with Danny Woodhead.:eek: I like him don't get me wrong...
But, he gets his bell rung easily. I would not be surprised to see him on some other teams roster in 2011.
Maybe for a 4-5th. rounder in 2012

One thing to consider, related to the point you just made above. The NFL works in cycles. Sometimes a 4-3 defense is in vogue and everyone plays it. Then someone will go to a 3-4 and, because they can get the elite 3-4 players in the draft (a NT is different from a DT; a 3-4 OLB is different from a 4-3 OLB, etc) because few teams play a 3-4, they see success. Other teams then try the 3-4, and it becomes "normal" in the league. Then it cycles back.

BB might just be getting ahead of the next curve. Right now, the NFL is geared towards passing. The rules favor passing teams, teams throw a ton, etc. So defenses are reacting by putting more DBs on the field, becoming smaller and quicker to handle spread offenses.

Ok, that's great. So what's the counter to that? How about loading up with TE's and a stable of really good RB's. Especially ones that can not just run the ball or block, but also can catch as well? We're so used to an offense that spreads it out, giving Brady 5 receivers to throw to (4 WR and a RB, etc.).

You can see a lineup of 1 WR (say, Welker), 2 TE (Hernandez/Gronk), and 2 RB (Ridley/Vereen). Line up in a power formation. Ok, what's coming? If the D plays "small" with DBs, they can just power run right through them. If the D plays "big" with extra linemen or LBs, that allows Gronk, Hernandez, Ridley, and Vereen to have matchup advantages with respect to pass routes.

It still opens up the field for Brady to have a lot of targets; but it gives the Pats more variety because they can just power run *or* go to an aerial attack, as the defense allows.

It may not be what we're used to, but man, with that talent this team has assembled, I think it could be a highly effective offense.

Good points all and interesting.

I'm in the minority out here who likes this draft for the Pats. It would be good if they pick up a WR and someone to help with the pass rush during whatever FA period there is, but I'm very content with what they did.

I think BJGE is an above average back at the things he does well, but as for his weak points, he isn't great (passing game and breaking big runs)!

But I think he pounds the ball well enough to keep him, if someone does offer the 2nd for him, bigger fool them, but I would love to see him sign a multi-year deal :D

The issue is with Danny Woodhead.:eek: I like him don't get me wrong...
But, he gets his bell rung easily. I would not be surprised to see him on some other teams roster in 2011.
Maybe for a 4-5th. rounder in 2012

I would be shocked if this happened. You do realize that Woodhead is a CoP runner and will never be used as a feature back right? Plus BB signed him to a 2-year extension which keeps him under contract thru 2012. He produced enough in 2010 to keep the team very interesed to see how he improves in 2011 and even 2012 for short money.

If he improves his pass-blocking and becomes more well-versed in the passing game we have another Kevin Faulk for 4-5 more years.

Last edited:
I don't think you cut a second or third round running back in year one. They could take SM & FT spots I guess? Faulk was slowing down and then the knee. But may still have value in the kicking game. (doesn't drop them in crutial times)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back