PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what's the writing on the wall for BJGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the problem. TB needs top-level help at various positions throughout the roster. RB, WR and defense. This team needs to win in a multitude of different ways in the playoffs.

Since 2004, TB had had 5 excellent seasons and 0 titles to show for it.

I can't see where 1000 yards rushing and 13 TD's is a bad thing. He is a PART of the team. ONE PART, and nothing more. I'd take BJGE & Danny Woodhead as a tag-team RB set any day over the majority of running backs out there. With the two new hires, the team is younger, likely faster, and with 4 horses in the stable they can do a lot of plowing without tiring out.

Look at it this way: The Patriots rushing totals were 1973 yards compared to opponents 1728. The TEAM averaged 123.3 yards per game versus 108 for opponents. That's pretty good in my book. Heck, BJGE & Woodhead had 1555 yards between them, with BJGE averaging 4.4 and Woodhead 5.6 per carry! They had 18 TD's, and Woodhead had the ONLY fumble between them out of 326 carries combined.

New England Patriots 2010 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - ESPN

He was tied for 10th with MJD in YPC among backs with more than 150 carries. We'll agree to disagree.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis 2010 Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Take a look at how he was doing before Brady became Superman after the Browns game. 4 of 8 games resulted in a YPC of 2.18 or lower. You may consider that a coincidence. I do not. I think that the combination of Mankins returning and Brady going crazy made the running game a very easy thing for the running backs. There was clear improvement for Woodhead during that period, too.

Last edited:
This is not good for BJGE but this is extremely necessary. I truly feel that BJGE is the worst starting back in the league.

Come on Man! Wost Starter in the league? Hes better than any RB on the: Dolphins, Jets, Colts, Bengals, Chargers, Broncos, Cowboys, Redskins, Seahawks, Cardinals, Saints.

Booooooooo

Its important to note that the number of rushes dropped considerably as well. But we all know who has axes to grind.

....And his 4 worst ypc games were vs 2 top run defenses and 2 defenses that know the Pats offensive scheme very, very well.

Last edited:
Maybe you were watching a different player on a different team, but BJGE is extremely servicable.. he very seldom gets negative yards, has never fumbled, is durable and scored 13 touchdowns..

BJGE does not win us games, he is a player on a team that contributes to a win.. this team is built around Tom Brady and BJGE is a complimentary player..

I strongly agree with all of this but here is my counterpoint. Sometimes the passing game will get shut down(its inevitable) and you need to run the ball with authority. The last few playoff games prove that. A good example would be the 07 season when we faced the Chargers in the playoffs and Brady was basically shut down. Maroney ran like he was possessed that day. I can't confidently say that if BJGE(i know he wasn't on the team at this time) had those carries we would win.

I just feel that we rely too heavily on Brady and that is currently Peyton's problem as well(I guess we have become the colts lol). If Brady has a bad day its like we have no chance at winning, while Sanchez can have a passer rating of 50 and still call it a good day. I almost feel like the 08 pats with Cassel would have ran all over the current Jets. And hopefully these rookie running backs make us more balanced like 08. JMHO. Lastly, i dont think we run a rbbc on purpose. If we had a clear number 1 and 2 I dont think we would carry 5 running backs on the roster and hopefully this draft solved that.

P.S. Deus you should put up a disclaimer to warn me about potential eye damage before you post BB past drafted running backs:eek:

Its important to note that the number of rushes dropped considerably as well. But we all know who has axes to grind.

You might wish to note my edit, and I have no axe to grind. Also, you tend to run less when you're a passing team that's struggling with the run. Look at the lowest total runs matching which games for BJGE:

Game #1: Taylor was still healthy, and was the team's #1 RB
Game #2: 1.90 ypc
Game #5: 2.00 ypc
Game #6: 2.18 ypc
Game #8: 1.56 ypc

....And his 4 worst ypc games were vs 2 top run defenses and 2 defenses that know the Pats offensive scheme very, very well.

4.83 against the Steelers, after the Cleveland game.

Last edited:
I strongly agree with all of this but here is my counterpoint. Sometimes the passing game will get shut down(its inevitable) and you need to run the ball with authority. The last few playoff games prove that.

The last playoff game, e.g., the Jets. BJGE ran the ball only 9 times, never mind the fact that he was averaging 4.8 YPC.

How is that his fault?

In every game that he has had around 10 carries or less, the Patriots lost or their margin of victory was very narrow.

You might wish to note my edit, and I have no axe to grind. Also, you tend to run less when you're a passing team that's struggling with the run. Look at the lowest total runs matching which games for BJGE:

Game #1: Taylor was still healthy, and was the team's #1 RB
Game #2: 1.90 ypc
Game #5: 2.00 ypc
Game #6: 2.18 ypc
Game #8: 1.56 ypc

We could go through each game if you would like. The Clevland game, they were down 24-7 early in the 3rd and abandoned the run. The SD game, he actually did quite well, rushing for 30 yds in the 1st quarter (penalties brought some rushes back). His YPC in that game is decievingly low because of two goal line drives where he was stopped for no yards, but managed to punch them through on 3rd down. The other two games, versus the Ravens and Jets, we all know those are tough teams to rush against.

So, yeah, we could go down to all sorts of minutae. On the whole it was a very strong rushing performance by a player that most were not seeing on the team (including you) beyond training camp. He was stellar from the Pittsburgh game on, once BB and the Pats knew what they had.

Last edited:
:confused:

Other than Maroney, the best pick was a backup RB who mostly played fullback.

Yeah, but in 11 drafts, until this season, Maroney was the ONLY RB picked in the first 2 rounds. Kind of telling about where BB thinks RBs belong in the great pantheon of priority positions.

This draft BB saw the need and filled, and in true BB style filled it twice. Maybe based on his past performance with RBs (I doubt he's ever gotten over picking Tommy Vardell) he felt he better double up his bets. ;)

Seriously. We will probably start the season with 5 RBs on the roster. We usually do. BJGE is effective, but limited. We were all looking for players with big play ability in this draft. Maybe were were just looking in the wrong place.., and Vereen gives us one.

No, they didn't. We used plenty of play-action.
Don't bother. The argument is when Woodhead was in the other team knew it was a pass or a draw. You would need to teach a football class to correct the flaws in that argument

I truly feel that BJGE is the worst starting back in the league.

And yet he was the only 1k yard back in the AFC East. How do you explain that?

I wonder if Lee Smith could play fullback, hence sort of the 5th back? He's versatile, TE/LS/FB/Special teams

BenJarvus Green-Ellis 2010 Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Take a look at how he was doing before Brady became Superman after the Browns game. 4 of 8 games resulted in a YPC of 2.18 or lower. You may consider that a coincidence. I do not. I think that the combination of Mankins returning and Brady going crazy made the running game a very easy thing for the running backs. There was clear improvement for Woodhead during that period, too.
The "Brady played great after Cleveland, so nothing the rest of the team did counts" argument is inane. You could make the reverse argument that Green-Ellis' improved play led to Brady having more opportunites and playing better. Things happening together is not evidence of cause and effect.
Regardless of what the cause and effect was in this case, your new found love of trashing the other 52 players because the dominant 8-0 2nd half is only due to Brady is beyond ignorant.

Not what defensive teams coaches have said. If other teams have said they knew when we were running then thats a pretty large flaw.

I don't know where you come up with this stuff. The Patriots had the best offense in the NFL. Woodhead and BJGE combined for 1550 rushing yards, over 2000 total yards from scrimmage, 19 TDs and a 4.8 YPC average.

I don't know where you come up with this stuff. The Patriots had the best offense in the NFL. Woodhead and BJGE combined for 1550 rushing yards, over 2000 total yards from scrimmage, 19 TDs and a 4.8 YPC average.

In essence you are content with the Patriot's backfield as currently constituted- even though the Jets dared the Pats to run all day. Bill does not agree with you by saying the running game is fine.

If you are not seeing how Bill is trying to change the attitude of this offense by drafting a 320 lb LG, a 355 lb G and two potential bellweather RBs, I don't what to tell you.

Times are changing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots