PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So.... whats the Jets matchups gonna look like ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took this from ESPN Boston. Interesting

Should the Jets move Revis into the slot to defend Welker in this Week 5 meeting? A look at the Welker vs. Revis matchups based on PFF numbers from meetings over the last three seasons:

Jan. 16, 2011 -- Jets 28, Patriots 21 -- 1 target, 1 reception, 10 yards, 6 YAC
Dec. 6, 2010 -- Patriots 45, Jets 3 -- 1 target, 1 reception, 11 yards, 13 YAC
Sept. 19, 2010 -- Jets 28, Patriots 14 -- 1 target, 0 receptions
Nov. 22, 2009 -- Patriots 31, Jets 14 -- 2 targets, 1 reception, 43 yards, 17 YAC
Sept. 20, 2009 -- Jets 16, Patriots 9 -- 0 targets (Welker DNP)
Nov. 13, 2008 -- Jets 34, Patriots 31 (OT) -- 1 target, 1 reception, 14 yards, 0 YAC
Sept. 14, 2008 -- Patriots 19, Jets 10 -- 2 targets, 2 receptions, 35 yard,s 38 YAC
Totals: 3 seasons, 7 games -- 8 targets, 6 receptions, 113 yards, 74 YAC

Took this from ESPN Boston. Interesting

Should the Jets move Revis into the slot to defend Welker in this Week 5 meeting? A look at the Welker vs. Revis matchups based on PFF numbers from meetings over the last three seasons:

Jan. 16, 2011 -- Jets 28, Patriots 21 -- 1 target, 1 reception, 10 yards, 6 YAC
Dec. 6, 2010 -- Patriots 45, Jets 3 -- 1 target, 1 reception, 11 yards, 13 YAC
Sept. 19, 2010 -- Jets 28, Patriots 14 -- 1 target, 0 receptions
Nov. 22, 2009 -- Patriots 31, Jets 14 -- 2 targets, 1 reception, 43 yards, 17 YAC
Sept. 20, 2009 -- Jets 16, Patriots 9 -- 0 targets (Welker DNP)
Nov. 13, 2008 -- Jets 34, Patriots 31 (OT) -- 1 target, 1 reception, 14 yards, 0 YAC
Sept. 14, 2008 -- Patriots 19, Jets 10 -- 2 targets, 2 receptions, 35 yard,s 38 YAC
Totals: 3 seasons, 7 games -- 8 targets, 6 receptions, 113 yards, 74 YAC

Seems like Revis has had very good success against Welker, to the point that Brady doesn't even bother to throw to him. Welker is having a monster year, though. It will be interesting to see if they try to shut him down, and if so, 1) whether he'll still get his catches; and 2) whether the Pats have something else cooked up for the Jets other than Brady to Welker all day.

Seems like Revis has had very good success against Welker, to the point that Brady doesn't even bother to throw to him. Welker is having a monster year, though. It will be interesting to see if they try to shut him down, and if so, 1) whether he'll still get his catches; and 2) whether the Pats have something else cooked up for the Jets other than Brady to Welker all day.

Right.

He's had success against him, with no TDs allowd or interceptions, its been more of a wash according to the article.

Cromartie takes Ocho is my guess.

Last edited:

Eight targets in seven games is not a good sample size.

Also, Revis prior to the second Jets/Pats game last year would primarily be matched up with Moss, not Welker. Even after Moss left, I don't know if Revis covered Welker primarily. I know the Jets played primarily zone coverage in the playoffs. So Revis wouldn't have primarily been on Welker there. I would say that prior to December 6th of last year (potentially even after), Revis would only cover Welker a handful of times a game and if true, these stats suggest that Revis doesn't do a good job covering Welker.

So saying that these stats shows that Revis has consistently shutdown Welker is misleading. Without knowing how many times Revis actually covered Welker in each game to go with the targets and receptions, these stats are useless. On the face of it, Welker is very successful catching the ball when targeted vs. Revis.

Last edited:
Eight targets in seven games is not a good sample size.

Also, Revis prior to the second Jets/Pats game last year would primarily be matched up with Moss, not Welker. Even after Moss left, I don't know if Revis covered Welker primarily. I know the Jets played primarily zone coverage in the playoffs. So Revis wouldn't have primarily been on Welker there. I would say that prior to December 6th of last year (potentially even after), Revis would only cover Welker a handful of times a game and if true, these stats suggest that Revis doesn't do a good job covering Welker.

So saying that these stats shows that Revis has consistently shutdown Welker is misleading. Without knowing how many times Revis actually covered Welker in each game to go with the targets and receptions, these stats are useless. On the face of it, Welker is very successful catching the ball when targeted vs. Revis.

I guess I was thinking that the article suggested that Revis was on Welker a lot, which means Brady didn't target Welker very much (hence meaning Welker was shut down by Revis). But you are correct, if Revis was only on Welker for these particular plays, then he didn't do so great against Wes. I forgot about Revis vs. Randy going on for most of this time. Talk about out of sight out of mind!

even if hes not shut down, i think welker isnt going to have a monster game like he's been having..imo

that just means other guys on the team will have to step up and pick up the slack....theres enough guys on this team Branch, ocho, gronk, hernandez(mb?) that i am confident even if welker doesnt have a monster game

I think our game plan against the Raiders was a prelude of our game plan against the Jets. Forget Rexie going Ground & Pound, d%#*!@t! That's what we're going to do!

Seriously, one of these teams (and I would put $$ on the Jets, because Rex is a pain, but he's no dope) is going to shut down Welker and we'd better have an answer. I assume the Jets aim is going to be: 1) pressure Brady (nach, since they've done pretty well with that recently); 2) take away Welker; and 3) take away Gronk. What's left after that, other than Branch & Ocho, who haven't been lights out, and the running game. Get ready for large doses of the Law Firm and Rid, as they were calling him on Sunday. Bennie caught a nice screen pass in Oakland; hope that is part of the game plan too.

On O, I assume that despite their claim that they are going Ground & Pound, they are really going to go Spray & Pray (that is, spray the ball out to Holmes & Plax with our puny corners & confused safties playing them & pray that Sanchize is accurate). Let's face it, our run D hasn't been too bad; but our pass D has been pretty atrocious. Both their run & passing games have been pretty pedestrian; why wouldn't they go after our weakness?

Exactly. Ground and pound my arse....air and scare is more like it.

Hernandez is a huge match-up problem for the Jets. I pray that he plays.

BTW, Ocho coming up big on Sunday is as likely as Eric Foster suiting up and playing for Indy this weekend.

Last edited:
Right.

He's had success against him, with no TDs allowd or interceptions, its been more of a wash according to the article.

Cromartie takes Ocho is my guess.

I say Cromartie on Branch. Ocho will have to shine.

Or get cut...

Does Revis get away with some holding? Yes, but coming from Patriots fans watching Ty Law mugging his receiver downfield all those years, it's really nothing compared to that.

Also, no other corner in the NFL has his defended routes replayed close to as often as Revis, so it's noticed much more.

Cromartie on the other hand.....

Apparently you're clueless about NFL football.

Ty Law as a Patriot played under different rules. The point of emphasis on contact past 5 yards "Polian" rules were not instituted until around 2005 from memory.

BTW, Ocho coming up big on Sunday is as likely as Eric Foster suiting up and playing for Indy this weekend.

if he plays more snaps and gets more targets than yes, its a possibility..he's been brought along into the offense slowly

he only played 19snaps in the last game splitting the 3rd receiver spot with slater/edelman and anyone who watched it can see he played pretty good.... ran his routes correctly(one leading to the welker touchdown on a nice route) and was 3-3 when targeted(granted the 3rd didnt count)..

so much negativity towards ocho and yet branch has had 2 quiet games...cromartie is going to be on either ocho or branch..leaving either of them on their 3rd receiver..i think the jets will try and put him on branch since they know the connection he has with brady.

and ocho should be able to get open on whomever that 3rd corner is...slater/edelman didnt do much in that last game..and ocho was able to grab a couple first downs..so I would rather ocho take their snaps(or add some snaps to taylor price)

Last edited:

He played pretty well against Oakland. That must just be eating you up inside, eh? I see you're getting increasingly frantic with your anti-Ocho rhetoric.

aaron-hernandez-oprm-40235.jpg

Aaron waves to the JESTS fans and say's HI I will be in this game

Our BEST and previous "#85" will be back Sunday and he will have a MONSTER Game :):):)

#81 shall return:cool:

Apparently you're clueless about NFL football.

Ty Law as a Patriot played under different rules. The point of emphasis on contact past 5 yards "Polian" rules were not instituted until around 2005 from memory.

Apparently you're clueless about NFL football, because the rules were the same, they just made a statement it would be more heavily enforced. What Ty Law was doing was still illegal, but he got away with it and you guys loved it.

Last edited:
aaron-hernandez-oprm-40235.jpg

Aaron waves to the JESTS fans and say's HI I will be in this game

Our BEST and previous "#85" will be back Sunday and he will have a MONSTER Game :):):)

#81 shall return:cool:

I hope he returns but I am not holding my breath. The Pats better have something else up their sleeve.

I say Cromartie on Branch. Ocho will have to shine.

Or get cut...

Doubt it.

Cromartie struggles against smaller, shiftier receivers such as branch and welker. He's a strider and excels when covering tall receivers that run longer routes.

Cromartie = hernandez, Ocho or Gronk
Revis takes Welker regardless.

I hope he returns but I am not holding my breath. The Pats better have something else up their sleeve.

he would have had 4 weeks to rehab and rest. They have access to the best of treatments. I think he will be back since the NY JESTS cannot cover TE's. Even if it is in a limited role the Hernandez shall return. He could be a decoy at worst.

charlie Sheen once said "Can't is the cancer of HAPPEN" He WILL be out there be optimistic:)

I understand it is a HUGE injury and you don't want to rush him back into it. The time table is 4-6 weeks and I fully await his activation this weekend. All reports seem to be positive from him

i know this Gator lady team mom who is close w/ all them and a die hard Gator. I'll try to fish for facts. She is in contact w/ Spikes Hernandez and crew very often

Last edited:
Oh good, so we're using Charlie Sheen to make football decisions now.

Aha! I finally understand who made the decision to let BOTH Sanders & Merriweather go without capable replacements. Conundrum answered.

Last edited:
Oh good, so we're using Charlie Sheen to make football decisions now.

Aha! I finally understand who made the decision to let BOTH Sanders & Merriweather go without capable replacements. Conundrum answered.

wow... Charlie Sheen "can't be processed by a human brain" un called for

it was a quote lol not a decision. He is right though.

Hernandez will be back as a decoy I suspect.:cool:
I really want him back.:cool:

Vs. the Raiders GRONK was primarily a BLOCKER in 32.4% of TFB's passing attempts. He is USUALLY in the 10- low 20's% range FYI

NOT a direct quote but got info from the Globe

factual common knowledge is not a quote I thought

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back