PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So.... whats the Jets matchups gonna look like ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jets used a lot subpackages in zone coverage vs. the Pats in the playoffs last year. I don't think that strategy will work this year with the emergence of Stevan Ridley and the Jets' defense (especially the run defense) not looking as good as previous years under Ryan. You only rush 4 and have 5-6 DBs and BJGE and Ridley will have huge games.

I would think they would put Revis on Welker. The problem is that the Pats most certainly will have Welker in motion a lot and Revis has not been totally otherworldly this year and his biggest weakness (if you can call it that) is defending smaller, shiftier WRs.

I would think Cromartie will be on Gronk or Hernandez if he plays. Matching him up against Branch last year was a disaster for the Jets. I doubt they would repeat that after Branch smoked him in November. Cromartie sucks against small, quick WRs and is better against taller straight line guys.

I'm guessing Wilson would be on Branch. I don't know if this is a good match up for the Jets since Wilson seems to struggle outside and more consistent in the slot. Although Branch has been nearly invisible the last two weeks.

I think the biggest difference between this time and last time is Stevan Ridley. If he continues to run like he has, it means the Jets don't have to just concern themselves about the pass. Another big difference is that Gronk has become a deep threat which means they will likely have to play a safety deep which they didn't in the playoffs.

Other than that TD pass he caught from Brady the last game. ;)

McFadden absolutely gashed that jets D, and as much as I would like to see Tom Brady throw all over them, it would please me even more to see our running game do to the jets what the raiders running game did to them

it will be glorious, beating the jets at their own game, pushing back their DL and owning their lb's all over the field, especially because our boys can heat more when we run, and i really want our players to put a beating on the jets, and not just on the scoreboard, but w/ bruises as well

I'd like to see how they matchup in the post-season, but I doubt the Jets will keep their end of the bargain :D.

I'd like to see our D come back and have an immediate impact. I think if we can get up a score or two we can really put the pressure on this team that can lead them to collapse.

I'd prefer to break their spirit than give them motivation (which would be a victory by the Jets or a potential blow-out with a Pats win).

As for this game, I think Chad has been progressing (maybe slowly) and I'd look to this game to see him take it up a notch 4-5 catches. If Hernandez is back, that will be a big positive for the team and could help receivers not naame Welker. I'd like to see up get a couple 3 and outs of defense and keep a team to about 400 total yards.

McFadden absolutely gashed that jets D, and as much as I would like to see Tom Brady throw all over them, it would please me even more to see our running game do to the jets what the raiders running game did to them

it will be glorious, beating the jets at their own game, pushing back their DL and owning their lb's all over the field, especially because our boys can heat more when we run, and i really want our players to put a beating on the jets, and not just on the scoreboard, but w/ bruises as well

I think our game plan against the Raiders was a prelude of our game plan against the Jets. Forget Rexie going Ground & Pound, d%#*!@t! That's what we're going to do!

Seriously, one of these teams (and I would put $$ on the Jets, because Rex is a pain, but he's no dope) is going to shut down Welker and we'd better have an answer. I assume the Jets aim is going to be: 1) pressure Brady (nach, since they've done pretty well with that recently); 2) take away Welker; and 3) take away Gronk. What's left after that, other than Branch & Ocho, who haven't been lights out, and the running game. Get ready for large doses of the Law Firm and Rid, as they were calling him on Sunday. Bennie caught a nice screen pass in Oakland; hope that is part of the game plan too.

On O, I assume that despite their claim that they are going Ground & Pound, they are really going to go Spray & Pray (that is, spray the ball out to Holmes & Plax with our puny corners & confused safties playing them & pray that Sanchize is accurate). Let's face it, our run D hasn't been too bad; but our pass D has been pretty atrocious. Both their run & passing games have been pretty pedestrian; why wouldn't they go after our weakness?

To add to the above, I say they put Revis on Welker. Who will they put on Gronk, though?

Revis has not been totally otherworldly this year

He's allowed 2 completions all season, one crazy 22 yard catch by Dez Bryant, and a 3 yard slant on 3rd and long against Kevin Ogletree.

Revis hasn't allowed a completion since Week 1.

He's allowed 2 completions all season, one crazy 22 yard catch by Dez Bryant, and a 3 yard slant on 3rd and long against Kevin Ogletree.

Dont worry TB will take care of that...

Here's the match up

Every pats player > Every Jets player

With the way Welker has been playing this year, I'm not so sure if the Jets can just put Revis on him and not have to worry about him for the rest of the game, if there was one man who could beat him it'd be Welker.

Wow

That is a ridiculous amount of time for defensive holding to go unnoticed.

That is nuts.

Wow

That is a ridiculous amount of time for defensive holding to go unnoticed.

lmao, classic

im willing to bet we will see REPLAYS of revis holding throughout the game, and ill put the count to about 8, now mind you this is not how many times he actually holds, its only the number of times that itll be evident in the replays done throughout the game.....

also, if there is a pass deflection or INT, i gaurantee one of three things happend: defensive holding, illegal use of hands, or DPI

Does Revis get away with some holding? Yes, but coming from Patriots fans watching Ty Law mugging his receiver downfield all those years, it's really nothing compared to that.

Also, no other corner in the NFL has his defended routes replayed close to as often as Revis, so it's noticed much more.

Cromartie on the other hand.....

Last edited:
Welker will still go over 100 yards no matter who they put on him. I would almost be willing to bet that they will keep revis AWAY from welker revis is not as good inside and close as he is outside and deep so I think he'll handle Gronk but if Hernendez is back then the jets are really screwed cause cromartie is just not strong enough to handle either one of them.

I don't think Revis will be matched up on Welker either, the Pats offense is too creative in motioning him around to make that idea effective.

Maybe I am wrong. Then again, picking on Cromartie has been a good strategy since (well other than for the horrible Luke McCown). Easier to throw on Cromartie and let him pick up penalties than throw at Revis.

Does Revis get away with some holding? Yes, but coming from Patriots fans watching Ty Law mugging his receiver downfield all those years, it's really nothing compared to that.

Also, no other corner in the NFL has his defended routes replayed close to as often as Revis, so it's noticed much more.

Well, they do workout together at their home town in PA. But Ty used to do it back in the day before Bill Polian argued for the strict enforcement of the no contact rule. As for Octo Dad, yeah...he holds on every other play...sometimes gets away w. it.

The NFL was different when Ty Law played for the Pats. The refs didn't call PI when a DB looked at a WR the wrong way like they do now. What Revis is doing was allowed pre-2004. Now it is called on most CBs all the time. If Ty Law did today what he did pre-2004, he would get flagged all the time like he did in KC and as a Jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back