PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what needs do the Pats seem likely to miss out on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
OLB/pass rusher -- Got one. A second quality one would be nice, and I still want that, but even without AD we have TBC/Cunningham/Crable/JAG (Woods)/JAG (Ninkovich). The second one is a lesser need we're likely (not certain) to miss out on.

ILB -- I wasn't convinced this was a big need, but anyhow we're stocked now.

WR -- Ditto.

DB -- Ditto.

True 3-4 DE (probably conversion)
-- Big need. Hard to meet in this draft (or, admittedly, any other). But so far they've clearly passed on some guys who might have been interesting gambles.

TE -- They got a top one. A second one is a very debatable need, given the roster overload at WR.

RB -- Not a big need, but it would be nice to get a young back better than BJGE, whether a power back or a Faulk type. One of the lesser "needs" we're likely to miss out on.

P, FB, backup QB -- That's for Day 3, if they take one at all. May not have ammo for quality fliers at all the positions. Big whoop.

OL -- Not a need at all IMO. We can fill the roster nicely w/ returnees. I understand many folks here disagree.

NT -- If this is a need, then a bunch of other guys are DEs in training, and the need there is less than I thought.

K, LS -- Not a need.

KO Returner
-- McCourty, Tate, Maroney et al. say Hi.

Punt Returner -- We can muddle through fine with what we have.

Last edited:
Universal fan approval ;).

The only thing I'd add is maybe an offensive lineman. I know it's not a need this year, but they usually take a year or two to develop.

Given the age of the OL it would have been nice to have grabbed one potential starter in rounds 1-3 this year rather than waiting till 2011 or 2012 and suddenly feeling the need to add two or three offensive linemen, like what Pittsburgh has been going through the last couple of years.

The only thing I'd add is maybe an offensive lineman. I know it's not a need this year, but they usually take a year or two to develop.

Given the age of the OL it would have been nice to have grabbed one potential starter in rounds 1-3 this year rather than waiting till 2011 or 2012 and suddenly feeling the need to add two or three offensive linemen, like what Pittsburgh has been going through the last couple of years.

We're going into next season with two young/prime starters (Vollmer and Mankins), three aging starters, a prime backup OT (Kaczur), and some young developing guys. Assuming Mankins is re-signed, I'm OK with that.

Fencer- Great run down. However, I have to disagree with you regarding the O-line. The Pats clearly need an OG. Either a OT/OG or an OG/OC. But they need someone who can take over for Neal in a year or take over for Mankins if he insists on holding out.

I am not convinced at all that Wendell or Connolly can handle the job. As for Center, either Koppen was playing with an injury we didn't know about, or his play has dropped off significantly. Not to mention that he made some mental mistakes that were very uncommon for him.

We're going into next season with two young/prime starters (Vollmer and Mankins), three aging starters, a prime backup OT (Kaczur), and some young developing guys. Assuming Mankins is re-signed, I'm OK with that.
That's a one-year plan.

I'm thinking about a two or three year plan.

I'd love it if they were to draft someone that can rush the passer, and a guard to take over for Neal when he inevitably gets injured again.
Everytime Neal gets hurt the team suffers.

Well, so much for my "trade Mankins NOW" hopes. We must either be thinking about him long term or accepting the 3rd rd comp pick we get back. Either way we have plenty of picks to replace even 2 Guards next year, but lets see what Bussey and Orhnberger have to offer first. And to who posted Kazcur as a "backup in his prime", its a low priority position as long as TB stays upright. No one is perfect and we cant afford 1st rd picks or high priced FAs at every position. Finding the right fit for DEs and OLBs seems tough for Bill. Like pandas mating, be very quiet and hope we call Syracuse today!

I agree with the need for offensive linemen, and suspect that BB will try to address some of that today. A quick running back, would be a nice find also.

There is also the need to continual to try to find that defensive "sleeper" in hopes that there will be a difference maker somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes