PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what do the Pats NOT draft in 2012??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Every year we Pats fans and Draftniks make up a list of weaknesses and holes that the Pats "must" fill. We select players to fill those holes and watch Belichick do something completely different. But it is getting harder and harder for him to ignore us, as most pieces on the next generation Superbowl power, are already in place.

But being a glutton for punishment, what are the Pats 2012 Draft targets?

On Offense, I would say an interior Offensive lineman, and Center. A game breaking WR, a game breaking RB would be acceptable, too.

Koppen is the remaining oldster on the O-Line, and will probably need replacing. Many question whether the interior reserves are talented enough to start. Ted Larsen was cut prior to placing on the PS when Tampa Bay took him and made him a good starter. Are any of of Ryan Wendell or Rich Orhnberger or Dan Connelly really that bad, when they easily beat out Ted Larsen?

We always want a gamebreaker WR and/or RB. But the Team is developing quite a collection of young talent in both positions.

On Defense I would say the annual and usual quest for a Defensive Lineman and Pass Rush OLB conversion candidate.

The Defensive line despite having as many as 10 talented players is another year older. We will have had enough time for our present OLBs to get some experience, and see how they can do. The predictd vet FA acquistion, will have had a year to adapt.

There are simply too many good secondary people to need more, at last, and I would think the same holds true for the ILBs.

So almost by force BB may decide his view of Needs are the same as our wants...

"What position will they not draft next year"

I feel like it's almost impossible to rule any position out. ILB and OT would be unlikely (and CB). But other positions I feel like there's always a chance that depends on value. Could they take a Safety? I don't see it, but if Meriweather leaves and it's just Sanders and Chung and if Sanders' contract is ending shortly, then they might feel that drafting a safety is fair game. Interior O-Line makes sense in drafting someone to succeed Koppen. With TE, if Crumpler is gone and Lee Smith doesn't work out as well, then they could conceivably draft someone which would continue BB's old obsession with drafting TE's. OLB is always possible. ILB we have good young players, and BB doesn't usually go after linebackers anyway. WR is a possibility (even though we haven't faired that well in drafting them). RB is possible, but less of a need than other positions. The DL is fair game, particularly at NT where we still don't have a quality back-up. Drafting a DL will depend on how Brace, Deaderick, and others work out. QB - Surely they won't take a qb...

These things will depend on how the new CBA shakes out. Maybe there will be no franchise tag, or maybe it takes fewer years to accrue for free agency.

BB won't even consider a DB or TE :D

With two late #1s, this is a good position to draft the Center for their future. I definitely see a Safety getting picked. And why not a WR a late in the 2nd

#28 (Saints).... trade for a 2012 #2 and a 2013 #1
#32.................Center
#51(Raiders).....Safety
#64..................WR
#96..................DT
#134................ILB
#174................TE

Ted Larsen was cut prior to placing on the PS when Tampa Bay took him and made him a good starter. Are any of of Ryan Wendell or Rich Orhnberger or Dan Connelly really that bad, when they easily beat out Ted Larsen?

Ted Larsen wasn't really a good starter. He was more of a "this is teh only guard we have left healthy" type starter. I actually think hes going to be good, but Connelly was much better last year.

With two late #1s, this is a good position to draft the Center for their future. I definitely see a Safety getting picked. And why not a WR a late in the 2nd

#51(Raiders).....Safety
#64..................WR
#96..................DT
#134................ILB
#174................TE

We all know they don't have 2 late #1s. Whichever is later will be traded for a 1st in 2013, and a 2nd in 2012.

Lets be honest about this.

We all know they don't have 2 late #1s. Whichever is later will be traded for a 1st in 2013, and a 2nd in 2012.

Lets be honest about this.

Pretty sure I traded one #1...but thanks for the input

I'm pretty sure I can't read.

Although, I think they go by form and trade the later one (that, and I think the saints are more in the 20 range)

Positions they aren't drafting in the first two rounds:
QB
RB
TE
OT
ILB
CB
S

That leaves WR, G, C, DE, OLB, and possibly NT, which I would consider easily the least likely of the possible positions.

I was thinking we'd probably go for whatever positions appeared to be the strongest in the 2012 class. And then I remembered how well that worked out this draft.

BB would never, ever consider a 3-4 DE and an OLB next year. :)

(wink, wink, reverse 'cough' psychology)

Koppen is the remaining oldster on the O-Line, and will probably need replacing. Many question whether the interior reserves are talented enough to start. Ted Larsen was cut prior to placing on the PS when Tampa Bay took him and made him a good starter. Are any of of Ryan Wendell or Rich Orhnberger or Dan Connelly really that bad, when they easily beat out Ted Larsen?

Small point: Ohrnberger was cut when Larsen was, he didn't beat out anybody.

Bigger point: Koppen, Connolly, Wendell, Ohrnberger and Mankins will all be free agents in 2012. So the projected interior OL is Marcus Cannon. (Unless he stays at tackle.)

I think it's fair to circle that as a great big honkin' need.

#51(Raiders).....Safety
#64..................WR
#96..................DT
#134................ILB
#174................TE

Since your proposed trade would net them a third second round pick in 2012, what would you use it on???

Bigger point: Koppen, Connolly, Wendell, Ohrnberger and Mankins will all be free agents in 2012. So the projected interior OL is Marcus Cannon. (Unless he stays at tackle.)

How did we not draft a guard this year? I guess BB thinks anyone can play the position.

I guess drafting the #2 OG in the draft does not count.

How did we not draft a guard this year? I guess BB thinks anyone can play the position.

I guess drafting the #2 OG in the draft does not count.

I'm curious about that too, WhiZa. Do you not see Cannon as an RG as everybody else seems to?

I want to start the list of Pats fans binkies for the next draft in 2012.

Center Mike Brewster 6-5 300 OSU or
Center Peter Zok 6-5 301 UW

OLB Donte Paige Moss 6-4 260 NC

DE Jared Crick 6-6 290 Neb

O'Dowd, Kirkpatrick, Bartholomew, Linnenkohl and Barnes were all draftable centers that didn't get taken. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them in the Pats camp this year. Also don't think it would be too difficult to extend Connolly, Wendell and/or Ohrnberger beyond 2012 if the Pats want them.

2012 could be a banner year for centers with Brewster (OSU), Jones (UGA) and potentially Konz (Wisc) available and the Pats having a number of picks to get the one they want.

Cassius Clay. His mumma call him Clay, Im'a call him Clay. He won't sign his contract anyway :p.

Last edited:
I think DryHeat44 has the answer with his vertical board. It's not a question of what position won't they draft. It's a question of the value being right when they select. I think next year the board needs to heed this lesson and not get caught up in the mock draft frenzy of assigning need and then drafting the best player available at that position still available.

Using this year as the example I don't think the Patriots had an issue with Wilkerson. I just don't think they graded him at a first round talent. Had he fallen to 56 they very well may have drafted him there. Unless of course they still had Vereen rated higher.

The second part is there should be a sticky thread listing all of the players who were team captains. Year after year this is a reoccurring theme with the Patriot's drafts that is largely ignored until post-mortem.

Third is we need to consider where players might have gone without injury. I nailed this on Gronkowski last year but forgot the lesson this year with Dowling. In the second round or lower Bill will gamble on these players, not in the first. Tate is another and Cannon as well although a little different. I have to think the medical staff said no way on Bowers or they would have made a move on him this year. Quinn, even if he was a system fit which I'm not sure he was, was too high for that gamble.

Uncle Hester has it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey