PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what did it cost the Jets for Favre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And again what great defense did Pennington beat last year? The odds are against him staying healthy for another full year. The Pats played a joke of a schedule and the Chargers were 8-8 in the AFC West. What good defense did Pennington or Cassell beat last year?

Well, the obvious argument is that they are all professional football teams and get paid millions of $$'s to stop offenses. I don't care about strength of schedule, that's not what I'm talking about. I don't care if Chad gets hurt in the first game of 2009, that's irrelevant to this conversation.

Chad took the Dolphins to the play-offs, that's my argument and that's a fact.

That's because the AFC West acts as if the NFL is handing out herpes with playoff berths.

Funny and true. Amazing how poorly those 4 teams played. Even when it was all on the line, it was just bad football.

Well, the obvious argument is that they are all professional football teams and get paid millions of $$'s to stop offenses. I don't care about strength of schedule, that's not what I'm talking about. I don't care if Chad gets hurt in the first game of 2009, that's irrelevant to this conversation.

Chad took the Dolphins to the play-offs, that's my argument and that's a fact.

That's great. He took the Jets to the playoffs a few times as well. Each time ended with him crapping the bed against a good defense. Now the Dolphins are stuck believing he is the answer for them. The coaches will stick with Pennington unless he gets hurt. He teases you just enough to keep giving him the job.

And for the record if I had a choice of Pennington or Favre last year I would have preferred Pennington.

Last edited:
That's great. He took the Jets to the playoffs a few times as well. Each time ended with him crapping the bed against a good defense. Now the Dolphins are stuck believing he is the answer for them. The coaches will stick with Pennington unless he gets hurt. He teases you just enough to keep giving him the job.

And for the record if I had a choice of Pennington or Favre last year I would have preferred Pennington.

Dude, I think we are arguing the same thing.

The question is, what did it cost the Jets for Farve - The Jets fan went on about how he was glad Chad was gone, Homer Approach, and my contention is that it cost the Jets dearly - Not only in a possible play-off berth, but also now the obvious QB problem that they have, the Cap issues and all that is in the wake of Lord Farve and his Ego.

I understand that Chad could be made of glass, it's irrelevant to this conversation, but I understand it.

And yes, you take Chad as your QB - Unless you are worried about PSL's and very short sighted results based on a guy (Farve) with diminishing skills.

The question is, what did it cost the Jets for Farve - The Jets fan went on about how he was glad Chad was gone, Homer Approach, and my contention is that it cost the Jets dearly - Not only in a possible play-off berth, but also now the obvious QB problem that they have, the Cap issues and all that is in the wake of Lord Farve and his Ego.

I understand that Chad could be made of glass, it's irrelevant to this conversation, but I understand it.

And yes, you take Chad as your QB - Unless you are worried about PSL's and very short sighted results based on a guy (Farve) with diminishing skills.
scottie C I agree with a lot of what your saying and I see your rationale, however im tired of the occasional playoff appearances every other year and illusion of a QB capable of winning a SB. Chad can take you to the playoffs, thats great (no sarcasm). The point of the NFL is not to make the playoffs and be one and done its to compete for a Lombardi. With Chad you never have a chance to do that unless he has a great D and run game. I agree trading for Favre was the wrong move, however before Favre was even an option I wanted Chad out even if it meant we would suck. Why? B/c I wanted a true franchise QB capable of ending the mediocrity of this franchise and who had a realistic chance of winning a SB and being a key reason why.

I'm glad they are both gone. Most Jets fans are glad Pennington is gone. He was not a long term answer. I would have preferred they just played Clemens this year.

Favre had no effect on the cap. He was traded for and didn't recieve any signing/roster bonuses. His $13 million came off the cap.

scottie C I agree with a lot of what your saying and I see your rationale, however im tired of the occasional playoff appearances every other year and illusion of a QB capable of winning a SB. Chad can take you to the playoffs, thats great (no sarcasm). The point of the NFL is not to make the playoffs and be one and done its to compete for a Lombardi. With Chad you never have a chance to do that unless he has a great D and run game. I agree trading for Favre was the wrong move, however before Favre was even an option I wanted Chad out even if it meant we would suck. Why? B/c I wanted a true franchise QB capable of ending the mediocrity of this franchise and who had a realistic chance of winning a SB and being a key reason why.

I hear ya, but I guess I think about this Farve thing this way:

Farve or Chad - Who has more upside? It's Chad. The undisputable evidence for that argument is that Chad will play next year - Farve will not.

So, all things being equal - Don't you want Chad back right now? EVEN if he's going to back someone up that amazingly and miraculously appears in the Pre-Season?? But with Chad on the Roster in 2009, at least you know you have a chance.

I hear ya, but I guess I think about this Farve thing this way:

Farve or Chad - Who has more upside? It's Chad. The undisputable evidence for that argument is that Chad will play next year - Farve will not.

So, all things being equal - Don't you want Chad back right now? EVEN if he's going to back someone up that amazingly and miraculously appears in the Pre-Season?? But with Chad on the Roster in 2009, at least you know you have a chance.

This is a flawed argument, as are Mangold's. Had Favre not hurt his arm last season, the Jets would, in all likelihood, have won the AFC East and Favre would probably be back again this year.

This is a flawed argument, as are Mangold's. Had Favre not hurt his arm last season, the Jets would, in all likelihood, have won the AFC East and Favre would probably be back again this year.

I doubt it. The numbers the last four seasons say that Favre won't hold up for 16 games. Whether he was injured or not, he turns into an interception machine in December.

Deus, your argument is flawed as well, because If Tom Brady had not got hurt, the Patriots would, in all likelihood, have won the AFC East and Favre would probably not be back again this year.

Revisionist History aside, Chad over Farve makes the most sense for the Jets.

I doubt it. The numbers the last four seasons say that Favre won't hold up for 16 games. Whether he was injured or not, he turns into an interception machine in December.

In his last 3 seasons in Green Bay, the Packers went 2-2, 3-1 and 4-1 in December. Even 2-2 would have gotten the Jets into the playoffs. You can doubt it all you want.

Last edited:
What did I say that was homerific? You dont need a franchise QB to be a SB caliber team in the NFL

Gotta side with the Jets fan on this one. You don't need a franchise QB - that being said, that apparently wasn't the thinking of Tannenbaum last year - who spent much more, gave up a 3rd round pick, and let a non-franchise cheaper QB who could, with proper support win a Super Bowl walk to a division rival.

That's quite idiotic - and the team is worse off today than before they let Pennington go.

They went out of their way to rent a QB who wasn't equipped to go deep into the playoffs if he made it at all. Now the team's starting somewhat from scratch at QB.

Last edited:
Deus, your argument is flawed as well, because If Tom Brady had not got hurt, the Patriots would, in all likelihood, have won the AFC East and Favre would probably not be back again this year.

Revisionist History aside, Chad over Farve makes the most sense for the Jets.

Come on now, Scottie.... Brady getting hurt changed everything. It was week 1. We're talking about an injury in the last part of the season here.

Gotta side with the Jets fan on this one. You don't need a franchise QB - that being said, that apparently wasn't the thinking of Tannenbaum last year - who spent much more, gave up a 3rd round pick, and let a non-franchise cheaper QB who could, with proper support win a Super Bowl walk to a division rival.

That's quite idiotic - and the team is worse off today than before they let Pennington go.

They went out of their way to rent a QB who wasn't equipped to go deep into the playoffs if he made it at all. Now the team's starting somewhat from scratch at QB.

The quarterback you claim wasn't equipped to go deep into the playoffs was coming off a year where he went to overtime of the NFCCG...

Come on now, Scottie.... Brady getting hurt changed everything. It was week 1. We're talking about an injury in the last part of the season here.

I agree with you, brother.

Just for giggles, Tom Brady does not get Hurt, he takes apart Pitt like he always has and we Roll over the Card's in the Super Bowl.

Where is Farve today? Still retiring OR looking forward to Camp?

The quarterback you claim wasn't equipped to go deep into the playoffs was coming off a year where he went to overtime of the NFCCG...

And then cr*pped the bed at the start of overtime.

I agree with you, brother.

Just for giggles, Tom Brady does not get Hurt, he takes apart Pitt like he always has and we Roll over the Card's in the Super Bowl.

Where is Farve today? Still retiring OR looking forward to Camp?

You don't even have to go that far. Imagine the impact of Brady.....

Patriots vs. Dolphins. If Brady is there, how different might that one have been?

Patriots vs. Chargers. If Brady leads the team to a win, the Chargers don't make the playoffs.

Patriots vs. Colts. If Brady leads the team to a win, the Colts go into Pittsburgh with a 3 game losing streak instead of coming off of a win. That win alone would have put the Patriots in the playoffs at the expense of the Colts.

Speaking of costing the Jets, their pro shop is stuck with about a billion Favre jerseys that won't sell now... :D

Speaking of costing the Jets, their pro shop is stuck with about a billion Favre jerseys that won't sell now... :D

They'll just change them to Favor because he did cost them Mangini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back