PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what did it cost the Jets for Favre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoken like a True Homer Fan.

Well done.

<Psst....you need a QB or you just rebuilding, and that's not what you want.>

What did I say that was homerific? You dont need a franchise QB to be a SB caliber team in the NFL

Spoken like a True Homer Fan.

Well done.

<Psst....you need a QB or you just rebuilding, and that's not what you want.>

Clemens is in the lead for now.....MR. T is "spinning" why he struggled in 2007; he's learned under 2 playoff QB's in Pennington and Favre. But their "high" on Ratliff too. The reality is that they are completely unsure of anything at QB, just look at how they handled Favre....you could almost hear the Jets Brainbust saying, "Yes, Bret, please come back. No, please, retire. No, please come back. No, no, please retire we need the capspace. No, please come back we need to sell our PSLs."

Pathetic.

Clemens is in the lead for now.....MR. T is "spinning" why he struggled in 2007; he's learned under 2 playoff QB's in Pennington and Favre. But their "high" on Ratliff too. The reality is that they are completely unsure of anything at QB, just look at how they handled Favre....you could almost hear the Jets Brainbust saying, "Yes, Bret, please come back. No, please, retire. No, please come back. No, no, please retire we need the capspace. No, please come back we need to sell our PSLs."

Pathetic.

I agree, They are a train wreck. Not like Dallas or Oakland - But still an absolute mess.

They mortgaged an entire season with the Hope that Brett Farve would lead them to a AFC Title Game and beyond......Crazy.

I agree with that. Who's your QB?

I dont know, they could go several routes. Draft Sanchez or Stafford (might need to trade up), or go into camp w/ Clemens, Ratliff, Ainge and a Vet insurance and have an open QB race. Either one would satisfy me b/c I just want to find a QB of the future and not a stop gap vet or get us by QB

I agree, They are a train wreck. Not like Dallas or Oakland - But still an absolute mess.

They mortgaged an entire season with the Hope that Brett Farve would lead them to a AFC Title Game and beyond......Crazy.

what did we mortgage? Our QB last year was going to be either Clemens or Pennington and Clemens was getting killed by Pennington in all offseason reports. In the end we lost a 3rd round pick. Not exactly something which sets the franchise back 5 years like some here said it would.

Last edited:

Pathetic.

I think Clemens sucks however he did play behind the worst o-line in football in 07. Thomas Jones had one TD and barely rushed for over 1,000 yards in comparison to his career year last year b/c our o-line was that bad. 2 of our starters from that o-line did not play a single game last season

Last edited:
It cost us a 3rd round pick and thats pretty much it. Some will say well you no longer have Pennington and I view that as a blessing which I asked for years to happen. Pennington is a great guy and maximizes his talents however he will never win a SB unless surrounded by a stellar D and great run game. I would rather struggle looking for a young franchise caller or capable QB then be stuck as an average to above average team with Pennington at QB. With Favre gone we are around 13-17 mil under and can make a run at some nice additions in FA such as Leonhard or Scott

Most reports say when they adjust the cap for NLTBE bonuses that even without Favre on the books, the Jets are significantly over the cap. They are clearly not $17 million over the cap since even before cutting Barrett and Favre retiring (which saved about $15 million in cap room) the Jets were over the cap. You are dreaming if you think the Jets are right now $13-17 million under the real, adjusted cap.

Even your Miguel says that the Jets only have a little over $1 million in cap space after Favre retired and he doesn't look to have the adjust cap number either.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

And Rich Cimini estimates they only have $10 million in cap space.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/02/favre-files-his-retirement-pap.html

Only Dave Hutchinsen of the Newark Star Ledger is talking numbers you are.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/favre_tells_jets_he_plans_to_r.html

If your Miguel is as good as our Miguel, I would say his number is the closest to correct.

Last edited:
What did I say that was homerific? You dont need a franchise QB to be a SB caliber team in the NFL

And the Jets are a long way away from a Super Bowl caliber team and contrary to your beliefs do not have a lot of cap room even after they make their moves.

They (Jets fans) really are a pathetic lot. They so desperately want to be part of the "in crowd" of teams that compete for the Super Bowl, that they embrace every change and view it as the road back to the place they haven't been for 40 years. Think of what's happened in 40 years. The Jets, by my count have played and lost one AFC Championship Game, played in no Super Bowls - in 40 years. The Patriots have played in AFC Championship Games in '86 '96, '02, '04, '05, '07 & '08 and gone 6-1. They've played in 6 Super Bowls and won 3 of them (in 4 years in this decade). Since 2001, the Patriots have won 13 of 16 games between the 2 teams. And this is a rivalry?

Until 2004, the Yanks-Sox rivalry looked something like this. From our (Boston's) end, Yanks-Sox indeed was a rivalry, even though it was pretty one-sided.

<shrug>

bottom line is that when the jets got favre, I said that if mangini was lucky, he won't lose his job

I think Clemens sucks however he did play behind the worst o-line in football in 07. Thomas Jones had one TD and barely rushed for over 1,000 yards in comparison to his career year last year b/c our o-line was that bad. 2 of our starters from that o-line did not play a single game last season

Write how you like.....but don't question it when someone calls you a homer. Be proud.

Write how you like.....but don't question it when someone calls you a homer. Be proud.

I have no problem being called a homer, I just would like to know why thats all

Most reports say when they adjust the cap for NLTBE bonuses that even without Favre on the books, the Jets are significantly over the cap. They are clearly not $17 million over the cap since even before cutting Barrett and Favre retiring (which saved about $15 million in cap room) the Jets were over the cap. You are dreaming if you think the Jets are right now $13-17 million under the real, adjusted cap.

Even your Miguel says that the Jets only have a little over $1 million in cap space after Favre retired and he doesn't look to have the adjust cap number either.

New York Jets Salary Cap

And Rich Cimini estimates they only have $10 million in cap space.

The Jets Stream - NY Daily News

Only Dave Hutchinsen of the Newark Star Ledger is talking numbers you are.

Favre tells Jets he plans to retire, report says - New York Jets Football - NJ.com

If your Miguel is as good as our Miguel, I would say his number is the closest to correct.
Dave Hutchinson who is a reliable source got his numbers directly from the NFLPA. I said this a while back, as long as Favre retired we were fine cap wise b/c we easily just restructure the contract of guys like Rhodes and Pace and cut guys like Barrett, Coleman and several others.

what did we mortgage? Our QB last year was going to be either Clemens or Pennington and Clemens was getting killed by Pennington in all offseason reports. In the end we lost a 3rd round pick. Not exactly something which sets the franchise back 5 years like some here said it would.

If you can't see the current Cap status of Jets and what Tannebaum did last off season, then I can't continue this conversation.

If you can't see the current Cap status of Jets and what Tannebaum did last off season, then I can't continue this conversation.

they are 13-17 mil under the cap. I read 3 repots. One of Dave hutchinson which he said directly from the NFLPA we are 17 mil under, Rich Cimini I believe said we were 13 under and a third source I forget who said we were around 10 mil. We are fine cap wise.

I dont know, they could go several routes. Draft Sanchez or Stafford (might need to trade up), or go into camp w/ Clemens, Ratliff, Ainge and a Vet insurance and have an open QB race. Either one would satisfy me b/c I just want to find a QB of the future and not a stop gap vet or get us by QB

This is the problem, you can't win without a QB - You can hope for someone like Ryan, but that's lightening in a bottle.

No way Sanchez or Stafford is around for you to pick - You can trade up, but not without a significant investment in Picks and then you have the corresponding Cap hit. The Jets are in a very bad position.

You can have Cassel, but you can't afford that either. He'll be even more expensive for the Jets, Bill would look to rape and pillage the New Jersey Jets for that trade, but he would make it if it was the best offer.

That's the way I see it as well.

I'm a Homer too and damn proud of it.

This is the problem, you can't win without a QB - You can hope for someone like Ryan, but that's lightening in a bottle.

No way Sanchez or Stafford is around for you to pick - You can trade up, but not without a significant investment in Picks and then you have the corresponding Cap hit. The Jets are in a very bad position.

You can have Cassel, but you can't afford that either. He'll be even more expensive for the Jets, Bill would look to rape and pillage the New Jersey Jets for that trade, but he would make it if it was the best offer.

There is a realistic 50/50 shot Sanchez slips to 17, that is not homerism. It San Fran passes on him at 10 he will slip unless someone trades up in front of the Jets. I dont even necessarily want Sanchez b/c I think he is too raw and has a ton of ?'s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye