PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So Westbrook isn't getting 100% positive vibes that he'll be back in Philly in 2010..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Westbrook ‘not sure’ if he’ll be back with Eagles

If he were to be let go by the Eagles, would you consider bringing in this versatile, yet aging back? Personally, I'm more inclined to stick with what we have, Kevin Faulk, and draft a Jonathan Dwyer. Westbrook was good but has been injury prone ever since he's been in the league and now has issues with concussions on top of a nearly $8 million bonus that he's due to be paid this season, should Philly drop him. However, I'm sure there are some out there who can make a case for bringing him in. So I thought "what the hell? It's a slow offseason". What say you?

Re: So Westbrook isn't getting 100% positive vibes that he'll be back in Philly in 20

nope. As you said, we have Faulk. The rest of our backs are a little on the "injury prone" side of things, so we don't need another one.

Re: So Westbrook isn't getting 100% positive vibes that he'll be back in Philly in 20

Draft Javier Arenas and convert him to 3rd down back, Westbrook can replace Marshall Faulk.

Sign him! 5 years ago!

Sign him! 5 years ago!

I hear Time Machine is a position of need in the draft.

And yeah, that was bad joke. So sue me. I've been up almost 24 hours straight now. :bricks:

Sign him! 5 years ago!

predicting PJs future sigs

1. Draft day..........Draft the beast
2. Training camp....Watch the beast
3. Preseason.........Cut the beast

:D

No thanks. All we need is another injury machine at RB.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Westbrook ‘not sure’ if he’ll be back with Eagles

If he were to be let go by the Eagles, would you consider bringing in this versatile, yet aging back? Personally, I'm more inclined to stick with what we have, Kevin Faulk, and draft a Jonathan Dwyer. Westbrook was good but has been injury prone ever since he's been in the league and now has issues with concussions on top of a nearly $8 million bonus that he's due to be paid this season, should Philly drop him. However, I'm sure there are some out there who can make a case for bringing him in. So I thought "what the hell? It's a slow offseason". What say you?

Interesting thought. But I guess I'm going to lean towards no. He's a huge weapon, when healthy, but Faulk is probably the 2nd most clutch Patriot on this team behind Brady.

I'd be more interested in getting younger at the position. We won't have a shot at CJ Spiller unfortunately, but McCluster would be a good Faulk protege.

Interesting thought. But I guess I'm going to lean towards no. He's a huge weapon, when healthy, but Faulk is probably the 2nd most clutch Patriot on this team behind Brady.

I'd be more interested in getting younger at the position. We won't have a shot at CJ Spiller unfortunately, but McCluster would be a good Faulk protege.

While I doubt Spiller would drop all the way to us. I also doubt he will be drafted too high where wouldn't be in a place to make a trade to get him should we have him graded high enough.

While I doubt Spiller would drop all the way to us. I also doubt he will be drafted too high where wouldn't be in a place to make a trade to get him should we have him graded high enough.

Very true. Plus, if we tag & trade Wilfork, which seems like a reasonable, if somewhat unfortunate, possibility, that's more ammo to move up via trade.

I agree with what other posters have said that he is too old and injury prone and that is not what we need at the RB position.

I dont think that this is the off season to address the RB position. We already have 5 backs on the roster (if you assume Faulk will be resigned) and we have more pressing needs on this team. We have to use our top draft picks on other positions that we have more of a need at. If we want to take a chance a draft a RB in the later rounds and hope that we get lucky and he makes an impact then great, but I just dont see the Pats drafting a RB in the higher rounds this year. Next season would be a better year to address the RB situation.

I agree Rb is not a huge need need on this team but I can't help but wonder what it would be like to to run a hybrid 2 hb set with Faulk and Westbrook. What kind of wrinkes could you make with those 2 on the field? Those poor LB's that would have cover them.

We do not need another aging, injury prone RB.
I appear to be in the minority here, but I think RB is a need. Maroney isn't the answer, and, other than Faulk, I don't think we have a RB who has shown he can be productive and stay healthy for the course of a season. People complain about the Pats offense being one dimensional, in my opinion it is one dimensional because we don't have a back the other team has to worry about.

I hear Time Machine is a position of need in the draft.

And yeah, that was bad joke. So sue me. I've been up almost 24 hours straight now. :bricks:
I noticed no difference in quality from you. :confused2:

predicting PJs future sigs

1. Draft day..........Draft the beast
2. Training camp....Watch the beast
3. Preseason.........Cut the beast

:D
And his ever popular "Roast the beast" tailgate sig. :cool:

I noticed no difference in quality from you. :confused2:

Can I keep the knife you just stuck in me? :cool:

Can I keep the knife you just stuck in me? :cool:
funny-pictures-cat-offers-to-talk.jpg

We do not need another aging, injury prone RB.
I appear to be in the minority here, but I think RB is a need. Maroney isn't the answer, and, other than Faulk, I don't think we have a RB who has shown he can be productive and stay healthy for the course of a season. People complain about the Pats offense being one dimensional, in my opinion it is one dimensional because we don't have a back the other team has to worry about.

IMO RB is the biggest need on Offense and other than pass rush I would consider this the biggest need we have (assuming we retain Big Vince).

I agree other than Faulk there is no one I trust. Taylor and Morris are good backs but I can't see how one can think they will make it thru a whole season. I am ok with Maroney as I still feel he has more talent than his production shows but I do not want to entrust the position to him or the other injury guys and Faulks role is what it is.

TE would be my second biggest need on offense and if TE was as important to an O as RB it would be higher than RB but IMO a RB who is close to the top of the league would all but guarentee a SB appearance. Our running game has numbers wise seemed OK the past few years but lets not fool ourselves the reason it has looked good is because of the explosiveness of our passing game. If we had a running game that teams had to game plan for (IE a Corey Dillon of 06 type) how would they stop us?

I know alot of people think WR is the offenses biggest need and with Welkers injury I can see why. But IMO the passing game will be fine with Moss, Edelman and somebody better than Aiken a Gafney type where as some people think we need a Boldin type (which of course I would love to have).

Basically I think the offense would be much better off if it was Moss and two decent WRs and a Pro Bowl or rookie of the year RB than if it was Moss, Boldin one other decent WR but the same RB group returns....in this instance I am calling Edelman one of the decent WRs (which who knows maybe he is better than that....also I am leaving Tate out of this discussion as I see him more as 4 or 5 on the WR depth chart and hope he makes strides to move up the ranks....for this discussion no need to go further down the depth.

Note: I don't see the same problems with the O-line that others do

Last edited:

IMO RB is the biggest need on Offense and other than pass rush I would consider this the biggest need we have (assuming we retain Big Vince).

I agree other than Faulk there is no one I trust. Taylor and Morris are good backs but I can't see how one can think they will make it thru a whole season. I am ok with Maroney as I still feel he has more talent than his production shows but I do not want to entrust the position to him or the other injury guys and Faulks role is what it is.

TE would be my second biggest need on offense and if TE was as important to an O as RB it would be higher than RB but IMO a RB who is close to the top of the league would all but guarentee a SB appearance. Our running game has numbers wise seemed OK the past few years but lets not fool ourselves the reason it has looked good is because of the explosiveness of our passing game. If we had a running game that teams had to game plan for (IE a Corey Dillon of 06 type) how would they stop us?

I know alot of people think WR is the offenses biggest need and with Welkers injury I can see why. But IMO the passing game will be fine with Moss, Edelman and somebody better than Aiken a Gafney type where as some people think we need a Boldin type (which of course I would love to have).

Basically I think the offense would be much better off if it was Moss and two decent WRs and a Pro Bowl or rookie of the year RB than if it was Moss, Boldin one other decent WR but the same RB group returns....in this instance I am calling Edelman one of the decent WRs (which who knows maybe he is better than that....also I am leaving Tate out of this discussion as I see him more as 4 or 5 on the WR depth chart and hope he makes strides to move up the ranks....for this discussion no need to go further down the depth.

Note: I don't see the same problems with the O-line that others do

How isnt WR our greatest need on offense right now? Besides the pass rush it is the biggest need on the team. We only have 1 really proven WR on the roster to start the season in Moss. Welker will be lucky to be ready for the opener and Edelman should be around but its tough to already tag him as the teams #2 WR since hes only been playing the position a year. You say the team needs another WR, so wouldnt that make it the biggest need? We already have 4 RBs on the roster for next year (5 if you include Faulk). There isnt really a need at that position. At WR we have Moss, Edleman, Aiken, Stanback, Slater, Tate, Welker (when he gets back). Only 1 guy out of that list you can count on to make an impact. WR is definitely the biggest need on the offensive side of the ball and if it isnt addressed I can see us having the same kind of season as we did this year.

I could consider our needs like this, in order of importance...

1. O-Line
2. WR
3. RB

If we go into 2010 with the same line-up on the right side of the O-Line, Brady will not make it through the season. You can give him a WR corps of Moss, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and Wes Welker and it won't matter if he's getting killed while taking the third step in his drop back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes