PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So Tony Gonzalez wants to be traded to a contender!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he might come here and re-sign for next year with Brady coming back...

Maybe another veteran who will take less to get a chance at a ring?

i think desperate times call for desperate measures

i'm only saying this trade makes sense because of the loss of brady

while most of us believe, and rightfully so, that free agency winners are often losers, the same can't be said of trade deadline deals

those often have a really good effect on a team

off the top of my head i can think back to my team getting mccardell and chambers, as two instances where trade deadline deals really helped, and the colts getting macfarland in 06 helped them go to, and win the sb, despite them still technically having one of the worst rush defenses of all time that season.

Good point... and admittedly his salary is fairly low and as we saw with Welker and Moss last year, receivers have a fairly easy time integrating into the offense. I am just concerned about how much we give up for one of the greatest TE's in history during a season where Brady is out and a Super Bowl seems reasonably out of reach. That said, I'm officially on the bandwagon.

Yet another one of those situations where I'm glad we have people smarter than me in the front office making decisions.

His salaries are as follows:

2008 1000000.00 (his new team would pay 11/17ths of that)
2009 4000000.00
2010 4500000.00
2011 5750000.00

That has been running on ESPN and ABC all day. I haven't been watching TV all day but off and on to check the college games.

Yes he would be an interesting an interesting addition to the Patriots this year but the devil is always in the details. What would they want? What would he be willing to take for us to stay under the cap?

I don't think it will work for us. I wouldn't mind giving a 3rd rounder or even a second rounder. But his salary demand may be too much for someone who has a couple of year left.

How many year does he have left? And are we a title contender this year (that would be on his mind).

2009 4000000.00
2010 4500000.00
2011 5750000.00

Uh, no way. Unless he goes the Moss route and takes a cut.

Thanks for the info Miguel!

2009 4000000.00
2010 4500000.00
2011 5750000.00
looks pretty damn good, especially if he's going to only retire after 09

Uh, no way. Unless he goes the Moss route and takes a cut.

Thanks for the info Miguel!
nfl players contracts aren't guaranteed so cutting him after 09 is very possible

you think 1 mill then 4 mill is alot for the caliber of player he is? i think it's pretty damn cheap

Are we over estimating the Pats chances this season? Is Tony interested in playing under BB and becoming a Patriot in the fullest sense of the word? I'd love to see it personally.

LoMo for Gonzo in '08?

Are we over estimating the Pats chances this season? Is Tony interested in playing under BB and becoming a Patriot in the fullest sense of the word? I'd love to see it personally.

LoMo for Gonzo in '08?
i can't imagine anyone not wanting to play for your head coach, with all the success he's had

even LT

i can't imagine anyone not wanting to play for your head coach, with all the success he's had

even LT
I can't either, I just don't know what type of player TG is. Is he more of a free spirit type guy that might not like BB's way of doing things?
If he's got 3 good years left in him, it would be great timing with 3 more years of Moss, and 3 prime years of Brady.

What do you guys think of LoMo for Gonzo? Would that be enough?

I can't either, I just don't know what type of player TG is. Is he more of a free spirit type guy that might not like BB's way of doing things?
If he's got 3 good years left in him, it would be great timing with 3 more years of Moss, and 3 prime years of Brady.

What do you guys think of LoMo for Gonzo? Would that be enough?
i think tony's a very quality individual and a total team player, and someone your coach would love to work with.

i think it will only cost a 3rd rounder according to Pro Football Talk, so you got no reason to trade maroney (is that what LoMo stands for?)

plus kc doesn't want a rb

i think kc may try and deal LJ as well but his contract i believe, is ******ed.

even LT

I agree, but we all know fans and sometimes players aren't necessarily rational or long term thinkers. He may be looking for a team that will win THIS year, which, let's be honest, the odds are the best for the pats as they have been in the past. Next year with a healthy Brady, then they are favored again, but maybe gonzo doesn't want to wait a year to be on a favorite.

I see LJ might also be on the block. Boy, I would like to see the Pats pick up a bruiser, smash mouth running back. I don't think he personality fits the pats at all, but he could take a load off Matty C and would make the Pats O more challenging next year with Tommy. Too high of a price and the "me first" attitude would be too much.

even LT
Well, to answer part of another query: Gonzo has played for BB in the ProBowl - BB gave him a raging case of hemorrhoids over a half ***ed block attempt on Special Teams. It ticked Gonzo off so much that he went out and decked someone on the next Kick Return and was surprised when he walked by BB going back to the bench and heard 'nice block.' As I recall Gonzo was 'impressed.' I can see him being willing to come to NE and play for a shot at a ring.

I'm just surprised that the Chiefies are throwing in the towel by offering Gonzo instead of canning Herm. Riding that short pony will leaving you dragging your toes all the way.
-----
From Schmo: "Also, I am curious... when was the last time anyone has seen NE use an OL as a TE in any non-goalline package? Could this be an option?"

Happens every game, generally in short yardage. It would make no sense to use it regularly since having the extra receiving weapons on the field works more to the Offense's benefit.

I'd deal a 3rd rounder for him. Think about it, what are the chances that 3rd rounder ever comes close to what Gonzo is? 1 in 10000 probably. Gonzo is a HOF TE who could be like Coates to Cassel. We have a need for TE and Watson is also approaching FA status. It seems like a position of need and a 3rd round pick for him seems extremely cheap. May I also add a big TE is HUGE for young QB's.

Last edited:

2009 4000000.00
2010 4500000.00
2011 5750000.00

Thanks for the info Miguel. That is a lot less than I imagined. I was listening to the radio in the car. The Patriots were not a team mentioned as those who have shown interest. Which means they are probably in the thick of it.:D

3rd round and that salary? I'd do it.

Color me less than impressed this season with the production from our TEs both of whom I'd had higher expectations for. Could be partly Cassel's growing pains. But remember, BB and Pioli watch Thomas and Watson every day so if they DON'T make the move it's because Gonzo does not offer enough of an upgrade vs the opportunity cost of the draft pick and 2009+ cap hit.

No need to be sarcastic. You know well enough how Belichick uses TEs. Watson and Thomas are servicable receiving TEs and thay have hardly gotten sniffs this season. With the shape of the O-line they need a TE willing to block for the majority of the time he'll be on the field. I doubt this will be attractive to Gonzo.

Bingo, we have bingo, The Pats never use their TE's as a weapon. It's a shame really, Watson and Thomas would probably be stars on other teams, Watson has speed, Thomas has good hands and is a fine route runner both average 1 catch per game. A shame.

Bingo, we have bingo, The Pats never use their TE's as a weapon. It's a shame really, Watson and Thomas would probably be stars on other teams, Watson has speed, Thomas has good hands and is a fine route runner both average 1 catch per game. A shame.

While you are right...don;t ever pigeon hole a BB team - if somehow they end up up having Gonzalez as a weapon, he'll be used, plenty.

this is destiny, get him here, 2nd or 3rd round pick who cares.

www.kansascity.com | 12/21/2007 | Getting to the heart of what makes Belichick successful

Getting to the heart of what makes Belichick successful
Every so often you happen across a little story so perfect that you just have to share it, even if it doesn’t really have much to do with anything else. This story is about New England coach Bill Belichick.

These days, with the Patriots undefeated and all, figuring out what makes Belichick tick is like the Holy Grail for football fans and sportswriters and business leaders, too. The guy is the best at what he does. The guy has won three Super Bowls as a head coach, two more as an assistant, and now he’s coaching what many consider the best team ever.

There are those who think it isn’t too difficult to figure Belichick’s success. He is obsessed, he’s smart, he’s cranky, he’s meticulous, and he’s willing to push pretty much any boundary in order to win. It’s like that old line from “Citizen Kane”: “It’s no trick making a lot of money when all you want to do is make a lot of money.”

But obsessed, smart, cranky, meticulous, competitive — these words describe 80 percent of coaches. There’s something else.

Last year, Belichick coached the Pro Bowl. As you guessed he took it too seriously. On Friday — a day normally reserved for a short practice and lots of beach time, Belichick gathered everyone together.

“I didn’t come all the way out here to get embarrassed,” he barked at the best players in professional football. Then, he had them practice their substitutions as if they were junior high kids. He yelled “punt team” and had the punt team run on the field. Field-goal team. Second-team offense. Faster. Again.

That insanity already tells you a lot about Belichick. But that’s not the story. No, the story comes from the game itself and involves Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez. As you know there are no role players in the Pro Bowl. It’s a game of stars. That means some stars have to do some grunt work. Every year, coaches put Gonzalez — now a nine-time Pro Bowler — on the kickoff return team.

“I don’t know why they keep doing that,” Gonzalez says.

Nobody knows, but one of the byproducts is that Gonzalez’s family and friends get to laugh hysterically. It is one of the highlights of their Hawaii trip, watching Gonzalez look helpless and try his best to avoid contact on the kickoff team. Hey, come on, the Pro Bowl is a reward. Everybody says so. Nobody goes there to get hurt blocking on kickoffs.

So, first kickoff, Gonzalez stood back, the kick flew over his head, and he sort of looked for someone to block. Someone ran around him and tackled the return man. Business as usual. Only there was Belichick. He did not look at Gonzalez. He stared grimly at the field — you know that Belichick look. He did not even seem aware of Gonzalez’s existence.

Then, as Tony ran by, Belichick said this: “Why don’t you (bleeping) block somebody, Gonzalez.”

Gonzalez turned to look. Was that Bill Belichick? Was he joking? Belichick had the most disgusted look on his face. He still would not look at Gonzalez.

“It’s like I was a piece of dirt,” Gonzalez would say.

It was beyond imagination. Belichick had cursed at Tony Gonzalez, the best tight end in football, for missing a block. In a Pro Bowl game. On the kickoff return team. This would be like, what, your boss coming up to you at your Sales Person of the Year party and swearing at you because your shoes aren’t right for the occasion.

Gonzalez was mad. Hopping mad. Who in the heck did Bill Belichick think he was anyway? Gonzalez was no kid. He’d played for four different coaches. He knew how they acted. But still … the gall of this guy. Didn’t he have any idea how hard Gonzalez worked to get here to the Pro Bowl. For what? To get treated like that?

Gonzalez stewed, grumbled, kept looking over at that coach. Next kickoff, Gonzalez went out there, and he was still enraged. He didn’t need this. The ball was kicked over his head, and Gonzalez saw the defender coming hard, and … you bet. Gonzalez clocked him. Took him out.

Then, Gonzalez was sure to walk by Belichick. Yeah, what do you have to say now, Mr. Genius? Again Belichick did not even look Gonzalez’s way. Stared straight at the field. That’s right. Tony walked, and Belichick did not say a word. And then, with Gonzalez almost out of range, Belichick barely whispered: “Nice block.”

“How did you feel when he said that?” I asked Gonzalez. He looked sheepish. He’s almost 32 years old. He will soon own every meaningful tight-end record there is. He should have long ago stopped worrying much about what coaches thought of him, especially other teams’ coaches.

“I felt really good,” he admitted.

“So you’re saying that seven words from Bill Belichick got you to block hard on the kickoff unit at the Pro Bowl?” I asked.

Sometimes you get to the heart of something without even trying. Gonzalez smiled and summed up the story that may explain why Bill Belichick is the best around.

“Hey,” Gonzalez said. “I’m coachable.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back