PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So Tiresome: NFL Access Pundits Still Pick Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrellbee

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
It's probably almost not worth a thread, but it is so irksome ...

Marshall Faulk and Steve Marriuchi on NFL Access still don't get it. What are those primal urges to apply rosy glasses to Miami - and to want to regard the Patriots as [weakened]. Culpepper is the second coming and ALL of those free agent signings. Miami is going to win the division. You think there might be some jealousy and desire for the Patriots to fail ? Feathers. This gets so old.

Last edited:
Re: So Tiresome: NFL Access Pundits Still Picks Miami

Who cares. In the end if the Patriots win, all these people will look stupid and idiotic.

Plus, "NO RESPECT FOR THE AFC EAST CHAMPS! NO RESPECT!"

I'm sure it will drive our team to win. :D

Doesn't bother me. Our team plays better with a chip on their shoulder and now they got something to prove. Go Pats!

They might be wrong, they might even be likely to be wrong, but it's not like it's unreasonable to pick another team. The law of averages says every opinion will come up eventually if you ask enough people.

Last edited:

Nothing better than the pundits picking a Miami team who we almost beat with 2nd and 3rd stringers last year. Think Rodney's not watching? "They didn't think we could do it! The called us a bunch of replacements!" NFL Access folks picking Miami? I say - BEAUTIFUL.

Pujo said:
They might be wrong, they might even be likely to be wrong, but it's not like it's unreasonable to pick another team. The law of averages says every opinion will come up eventually if you ask enough people.
Well there is no doubt Marshall Faulk dislikes the Pats, so it wasnt suprising for him to have the Pats lose the division.

And I hope they don't stop saying it to be honest. And then when the Pats are in the playoffs, I'll enjoy hearing how they don't have what it takes to make the superbowl. And then when they make the superbowl, how they don't have what it takes to win it. Rinse, lather, and repeat.

Last edited:
All the talk before the game was, predictably, how Arizona's offense was dynamic with the two awesome WRs (fair enough, they're great), the addition of Edge (again, I don't have a problem with that being a positive story) and the flashy draft pick Leinart.

All of this is legit, but when the counter to that kept being how the Patriots are adjusting to ALL THOSE HUGE LOSSES, it continued a trend that the Pats have fed off for YEARS now. It's a dis, sprinkled in amongst the assumed praise for BB, et al.

Again, fine with me.

Kdo5 said:
Well there is no doubt Marshall Faulk dislikes the Pats, so it wasnt suprising for him to have the Pats lose the division.

Right on, kdo. This guy is picking with bias. He HOPES the dolphins win the east.
No objective analysis could ever bring anyone to the conclusion that the Pats won't take this division.

After the end of the game faulk stuck to his pick but Steve Marriuchi did a 180 and said something along the line of this is a power offence and they are going to be my pick .
sounds like steve might have followed all the team in the nfl close and it took him a game to realize what we have here.

the commentary is nicer and more indepth ..... they are the only ones who spotted that we have what the steelers had last few years a big power back and a shift speed back

363839 said:
No objective analysis could ever bring anyone to the conclusion that the Pats won't take this division.
This kind of talk begs a discussion on logic.

What would you say the Pats chances of winning the division are? If all 4 teams were equal, it would be 25%. But let's be really homer-ish and say the Pats chances are 70%, with the other teams splitting the other 30%. Now, if someone picks Miami, they have a 1:10 chance of being right. Not great odds, but certainly within the realm of possibility.

Plus, remember that publications benefit from having a variety of opinions. If everyone picks the Pats, sooner or later Miami fans are going to pick a different website to read or radio show to listen to. So even if you get 100 guys in a room and 99 of them pick the Pats, they'll hire the 1 who chooses the Bills because they need that view represented. It's also a form of homerism, but we need to watch our own homerism here too.

This is about entertainment the Dols are the trendy pick. I laugh at how the analyst focus on the Pats losses and ignore roster changes on the other teams. Surtain and Madison were the best pair of corners we had faced for years. They are both gone. I am also still no sold on theit OL.

Whatever, the story will be written on the field. I love it when this team has a chip on their shoulder.

Pujo said:
That is actually statistically inaccurate. Otherwise, where are the people who think the Bills will win the division? Or the Jets?

Yawn.

Everyone picked the Jets last year to win the division and we all know how that turned out. The Dolphins will be improved but not enough to actually concern me.

MIA is the new NYJ.

To me, picking Miami is the "trendy pick" just like how picking Arizona to win their division is.

BradyisGod said:
That is actually statistically inaccurate. Otherwise, where are the people who think the Bills will win the division? Or the Jets?
In Buffalo, and NYC. The odds I was giving were only examples, look at the Vegas line if you want an accurate reflection of where the law of averages puts us.

Last edited:

Pujo said:
In Buffalo, and NYC. The odds I was giving were only examples, look at the Vegas line if you want an accurate reflection of where the law of averages puts us.
That's not the law of averages - that's the law of "how many fans will bet on a team" (including all of the fan bias and wishful thinking).

Pujo said:
This kind of talk begs a discussion on logic.

What would you say the Pats chances of winning the division are? If all 4 teams were equal, it would be 25%. But let's be really homer-ish and say the Pats chances are 70%, with the other teams splitting the other 30%. Now, if someone picks Miami, they have a 1:10 chance of being right. Not great odds, but certainly within the realm of possibility.

Plus, remember that publications benefit from having a variety of opinions. If everyone picks the Pats, sooner or later Miami fans are going to pick a different website to read or radio show to listen to. So even if you get 100 guys in a room and 99 of them pick the Pats, they'll hire the 1 who chooses the Bills because they need that view represented. It's also a form of homerism, but we need to watch our own homerism here too.

I stand by my statement. "No objective analysis could conclude the Pats won't win the division."

With the Jets a work in process, having a new coach and other new personel and the Bills not really a threat at this point, the only team that really challenges is the Dolphins so look at that.

The Dolphins are coming off a successfull 05 season ending the year with what was it 6 or 7 straight wins which is impressive until you look at the level of competition. They beat Pats 3rd stringers on the last game of the season, just barely.
Well, they have Nick Saban who some say is a Belichick clone.
The Pats HAVE Belichick.
The Dolphins picked up pro bowler Daunte Culpepper who, though coming off an injury, could still be effective.
The Pats have Tom Brady.
Dolphins have Jason Taylor.
Pats have Richard Seymour.
The Dolphins have Ronnie Brown?!
The Pats have Cory Dillon
The Pats have Laurance Maroney.
The Dolphins have Randy McMichael.
The Pats have Benjamin Watson and Danial Graham.

You want history? How about five of the last six division championships go to NE.

Now I don't care about publications concerns for readership, just accurate and logical unbiased analysis.
Sure. Readers want to see their team picked do well but they also want that publication to have credibility.

arrellbee said:
That's not the law of averages - that's the law of "how many fans will bet on a team" (including all of the fan bias and wishful thinking).

Although all of those are components to determination of the odds, there is a variable which accounts for how well the team will do. It wouldn't be wise for bookies to put the Pats odds for the Super Bowl at 50-1 would it?

Right now the Pats are on average 8-1 odds, only behind Indy at 6-1. Pitt and Seattle are 10-1.

I heard about that...shows what Mariachi knows...a loser coach gets to voice an opinion on a team he knows nothing about...how many times has he faced us in the past 5 years? What's his record?

But it's great to be the underdog again...legitimate disrespect has returned!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down