Welcome to PatsFans.com

So This Is How Some Activists Work

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 25, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Apparently it doesn't matter who wins as long as the person you don't like loses......

What kind of an attitude is that??? "It doesn't matter who it is or what he/she stands for - just so long as it's not this guy?"

How is that possibly beneficial for the country?

WASHINGTON – A top goal of the nation’s most influential national Tea Party group is to stop Mitt Romney from winning the Republican nomination for president.

Interviews with top officials at FreedomWorks, a Washington-based organizing hub for Tea Party activists around the country, revealed that much of their thinking about the 2012 election revolves around derailing the former Massachusetts governor.

The group knows they cannot impose their will on the fiercely independent conservative organizers fueling the Tea Party. But they say the activist base is just as anti-Romney as they are.

Kibbe said in an interview that FreedomWorks has no plans at the moment to endorse an opponent of Romney’s in the primary. But others in the organization made clear they will devote considerable resources toward helping whoever emerges as the most viable Republican in the primary other than the putative front runner.

FreedomWorks' Goal: Stop Mitt Romney In 2012

2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,506 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

The 2004 Presidential elections and the 2008 primaries for both major parties had this vibe going.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

The Tea Party opposed Obamacare, Romneycare is Obamacare at the state level, Romney hasn't refuted Romneycare and admitted it was a mistake.

All other pubbie candidates (AFAIK) oppose Obamacare, pretty easy to understand why they don't want Mitt.

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Even I understand that, PF13.....what I don't understand, regardless of what party or what group does it, is that it should still matter who the opponent is - and what his/her stance is on multiple issues - not just one exclusive issue.

I do not understand how you, and every other sane person, would not think it mattered. Would you vote for someone who said they were against Obamacare - but who was pro-choice, or someone who wanted to raise your taxes?

Being against someone should not make for an automatic blanket approval for the person challenging him.

That's not just a serious lack of judgement - that's using no judgement whatsoever.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I honestly don't remember that...I can't recall anyone actually coming right out and saying, "I don't care who it is - I'll vote for him - just to prevent ______ from getting the nomination."

This is not to say it did not happen - it probably did - I just don't recall it.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

If they can't impose their will on him that would mean he isn't a true Tea Partier, if he isn't a Tea Partier why the hell would they suppot him, it's like the Democrats and Joe (frog face) Lieberman.

:bricks:

7. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +950 / 8 / -9

The GOP will be making a big mistake if they let the tea party dictate the terms of their presidential primary.

Not only is repealing Obamacare never going to happen, doing so would only inflict more wounds as it becomes increasingly apparent that the Republicans don't have a workable health care plan of their own (note: "Buy your own damn insurance!" is not a health care plan).

If the Republicans were smart, they'd pick someone with a shot at beating Obama, not the candidate who most closely hews to their party orthodoxy. Of course, the issue that then arises is such a person may not exist; at least not someone capable of surviving the primary.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

From the POV of the Tea Party the move to nationalized Medicine (17% of the economy) will preclude any chance to prevent economic disaster for the country. There is no candidate (except perhaps Huntsman) who is worse on the issues. There are number of viable Tea PArty candidates they will keep their powder dry until all the potential candidates are in the race.

Romney has a big money advantage so the move to stop him before a better candidate is identified makes sense from their POV.

I would think that Cain, Palin and Bachmann would be their favs (A West also but he isn't running).

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

I recall you saying the same thing about the Tea Party and pubbies during the mid term and we know how that worked out.... ;)

10. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +950 / 8 / -9

All you need to know about the tea party, in a nutshell.

11. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +950 / 8 / -9

You may already know this, but in case you don't: running for president is not the same as running for Congress.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

And none of those would make a viable candidate in the final election.

So they win the skirmish but lose the war.

What possible sense does that make?

Wouldn't they be better off with a candidate that supported at least some of their ideals rather than allow a democrat who supports none of them to be elected president?

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

I think all would wipe the floor with Obama in a debate without teleprompters. YMMV, after all it is fair to guess there is no pubbie you would vote for.... polls (latest pew for example show people are concerned about the debt more than default.

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Yes, we do...and the Tea Party cost the Republicans the elections in several states - Delaware and Nevada comes to mind first.

You don't win merely by causing someone else to lose.

15. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +950 / 8 / -9

No offense, but this might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read from you.

Did Obama use a teleprompter in the 2008 debates?

16. emoney_33

emoney_33 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

:rofl:

None of them would be able to even compete in a high school debate with their pseudoscience and ignorance.

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

No, that's not "fair," PF13. I'm pretty interested in what Huntsman has to say, to be honest.

And they're far more concerned with saving Social Security than they are with saving tax breaks for the rich or contining to offer subsidies to the oil companies.

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

No but McCain was in the other seat.

BTW I heard the same drivel about Reagan during the 1980 primary and we know how that worked out. With 9%+ unemployment and $4+ gas running to the right is the way to win.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Well H Cain wiped out Paul in the SC debate....

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

In a likewise childish response of "I can play that game, too, yanno," -- of course they can - they have less to say.

[​IMG]