PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So that's why they picked Bissett for QB3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you shouldn't comment on people unless you're familiar with them.

Oh ********. This is a football forum. I am not familiar with any of these people on the Patriots, I watch them on TV.

The link I posted is from a guy who writes 100 draft analyses a year for NFL.com. A number of them on Florida teams I'm sure.

His name is Lance Zierlein. Why not send him an email and tell him you know more than he does? I'm sure he'll be entertained.

Another appeal to authority. This is meaningless, especially since we've seen numerous instances where the "armchair scouts", if you will, were correct about a prospect where the teams were not.
Well, they aren't infallible, but I think I will appeal to the guys with actual successful football experience over the guys in lazyboys, if that's OK with you.

Again, using appeal to authority as a knock is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. When you have a leaky sink do you call a psychiatrist or a plumber?

By the way, a "claim to authority" fallacy only occurs when the person in question is not an actual authority.

You. / vs/ Bill Belichick, Nick Caserio, Bill Parcells, Charlie Weis, the guy who writes 100 analyses a year for NFL.com. Which side is authoritative?

No offense, but you should try actually watching Brissett or college football before commenting and appealing to authority. If they saw an NFL caliber quarterback that can process info quickly, I'd like some of what they're smoking. He transferred from Florida because he wasn't going to be given the starting job (even though he was given extensive looks) and couldn't beat out the likes of Jeff Driskel or Treon Harris. He didn't get much better from there. I really don't see how a team managed by Belichick would have long term plans for him at QB.

Brissett was a freshman on a Florida team with 8 QBs on the depth chart. Transferring to NC State made great sense after the coaching change that sent Charlie Weis packing. He was never going to get a legitimate shot at starting: 2011 Florida Gators football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't agree with you on what Brissett brings to the table. I saw him play once in person and a few times on TV in ACC games, and he's a good QB who goes through progressions and who knows when to tuck it and run. I'd say he has better judgement in the pocket than RG3.

He has a great arm and can throw on the run. The major weakness I remember was his accuracy was inconsistent, and his release not that quick. He's not as bad as Tim Tebow was, but he'll need to work with the QB coaches on getting the ball out of there. Brissett is for real. At this point in his career, I like him better than I liked Ryan Mallett.

Brissett will definitely be fun to watch at training camp.

Cardale Jones is a much better QB than Brissett.

Jones led the Buckeyes to a title. That means he has experience in pressure games. If Patriots needed a QB, Jones should have been the pick. He had a 60% completion during his last year.

He also has a strong arm to throw deep balls, too...

He's now a Buffalo Bill (4th round).

:oops:

Big question is, what was his birth order?

See how mad you're coming off here? Know why? Because your appeal to authority got refuted by someone in a position to do so and you have nothing to back up your position beyond that. So now, here, you're tossing out more logical fallacies.

Oh ********. This is a football forum. I am not familiar with any of these people on the Patriots, I watch them on TV.

This is called a level of familiarity. If you didn't feel even somewhat familiar with the players CURRENTLY on the Pats (since we've now determined that you're not familiar at all with the new draft picks outside of reading about them and YouTube), you wouldn't participate in this forum.

The link I posted is from a guy who writes 100 draft analyses a year for NFL.com. A number of them on Florida teams I'm sure.

His name is Lance Zierlein. Why not send him an email and tell him you know more than he does? I'm sure he'll be entertained.

Who is saying I know more than him on these players as a whole? I certainly have not made that claim. You're merely constructing a straw man here, and a flimsy one at that. What I'm saying is that if you look at any number of draft sites, you'll see different scouting reports in regard to strengths and weaknesses. This is because Brissett's play as a quarterback is in the eye of the beholder. How is the scout judging him? Is he looking at him as a read option quarterback or a pocket passer, for example. As a read option QB, the pick would at least somewhat make sense if the Pats are planning on leaving him there. However, that's not likely the case since the read option is now easily defended at the NFL level. It's also noted that he makes plays with his feet. If you had actually watched Brissett play, instead of relying on a scouting report, you'd know the reasons are because he wasn't protected properly, which lead to a lot of hits and him becoming gun shy in the pocket (also noted in the report) and because he had trouble going through his progression if his first read was covered. From what I saw in multiple seasons of watching him at two different schools, he was a more athletically gifted version of Tebow. You're welcome to try to refute that, but you have zero leg to stand on.

Well, they aren't infallible, but I think I will appeal to the guys with actual successful football experience over the guys in lazyboys, if that's OK with you.

That's fine. But the guys in lazy boys are right more often then you'd care to admit about the draft. To give you the most recent example, the guys in lazyboys were right about the 2014 draft being a pile of crap. The 2015 draft looked no more impressive but we can't fully and finally evaluate that for another season. Remember how guys like you were crowing and appealing to authority about the Hilapio's and Zach Moore's of the 2014 draft? So yes, while they get a lot right, Belichick will be the first to tell you that he screws up. That said, they do get more than their fair share right. I hope that this is the case, as I always do. I have zero issue with being wrong and admitting where I am. But I just don't see it. If they're looking at Brissett as an NFL caliber quarterback, I'd love to know exactly what they saw to make them believe that.

Again, using appeal to authority as a knock is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. When you have a leaky sink do you call a psychiatrist or a plumber?

Take it up with philosophers and critical thinkers. It's a logical fallacy for a reason. Let's expand that ridiculous line of reasoning, shall we? The president of the United States says that intel leads him to believe it would be prudent to nuke Iran or North Korea. Would you stand back and say "well, he's forgotten more on the situation in the Middle East/Asia than I'll ever know so yeah... let's do it!"? Of course not.

By the way, I'd see if I can do it myself before calling the plumber.

By the way, a "claim to authority" fallacy only occurs when the person in question is not an actual authority.

You. / vs/ Bill Belichick, Nick Caserio, Bill Parcells, Charlie Weis, the guy who writes 100 analyses a year for NFL.com. Which side is authoritative?

Of course, but then why don't they have a 100% hit rate? Why do coaches and front office people get fired all the time for personnel mistakes that the fans are right on? Face it, bud, the guy on the lazyboy is right more often than you want to give him credit for.

This is the silly season around here, IMO. Because it's always hilarious when people that watch maybe 1-2 hours a year of college ball yell at the rest of us that watch it every Saturday.

Brissett was a freshman on a Florida team with 8 QBs on the depth chart. Transferring to NC State made great sense after the coaching change that sent Charlie Weis packing. He was never going to get a legitimate shot at starting: 2011 Florida Gators football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't agree with you on what Brissett brings to the table. I saw him play once in person and a few times on TV in ACC games, and he's a good QB who goes through progressions and who knows when to tuck it and run. I'd say he has better judgement in the pocket than RG3.

He has a great arm and can throw on the run. The major weakness I remember was his accuracy was inconsistent, and his release not that quick. He's not as bad as Tim Tebow was, but he'll need to work with the QB coaches on getting the ball out of there. Brissett is for real. At this point in his career, I like him better than I liked Ryan Mallett.

Brissett will definitely be fun to watch at training camp.
He took some starting snaps at QB in Muschamp's first year. He had every opportunity to win the starting job. He just couldn't. And, out of all those QB's, Driskel and then Harris started before Grier got there. Brissett didn't exactly have to face a murderer's row. I hope you're right, though. But I don't see it. If you remember, a lot of people were trying to convince themselves of the same things with Tebow. Where is Tebow now?

I watched him closely in college, and I'm a bit confused by the pick. Brissett grew once he left Florida, but I still have to think the Pats are planning on converting him to another position. Brissett is athletic but, as a QB, he had a hard time processing info pre-snap and got confused by what the defense was doing at times. If the Pats were going to pick a quarterback, I would have rather them gone after Cook than Brissett. That said, they need a back-up for four games then maybe they can try him as a TE project if they don't love what they see out of him at QB.
I do not think they would select someone in the third round as a project type player.

I believe that JG is trade bait after this season. Otherwise he walks. They need a backup to Brady. Or his successor. JG could be that but we will never know. He is going to want to start somewhere within the next few years. Brady will still be here during that time. Bad timing. Who knows. Time will tell.

With a Weiss and Parcells background they are hoping he fits. If he does then he will be the successor. If not then he is gone in two years and we draft another QB in the first few rounds.

BB is proactive in Brady's replacement years in advance. QB in this system is hit or miss. He is making sure he gets 3 good swings at the ball

See how mad you're coming off here? Know why? Because your appeal to authority got refuted by someone in a position to do so and you have nothing to back up your position beyond that. So now, here, you're tossing out more logical fallacies.

This is called a level of familiarity. If you didn't feel even somewhat familiar with the players CURRENTLY on the Pats (since we've now determined that you're not familiar at all with the new draft picks outside of reading about them and YouTube), you wouldn't participate in this forum.

Who is saying I know more than him on these players as a whole? I certainly have not made that claim. You're merely constructing a straw man here, and a flimsy one at that. What I'm saying is that if you look at any number of draft sites, you'll see different scouting reports in regard to strengths and weaknesses. This is because Brissett's play as a quarterback is in the eye of the beholder. How is the scout judging him? Is he looking at him as a read option quarterback or a pocket passer, for example. As a read option QB, the pick would at least somewhat make sense if the Pats are planning on leaving him there. However, that's not likely the case since the read option is now easily defended at the NFL level. It's also noted that he makes plays with his feet. If you had actually watched Brissett play, instead of relying on a scouting report, you'd know the reasons are because he wasn't protected properly, which lead to a lot of hits and him becoming gun shy in the pocket (also noted in the report) and because he had trouble going through his progression if his first read was covered. From what I saw in multiple seasons of watching him at two different schools, he was a more athletically gifted version of Tebow. You're welcome to try to refute that, but you have zero leg to stand on.

That's fine. But the guys in lazy boys are right more often then you'd care to admit about the draft. To give you the most recent example, the guys in lazyboys were right about the 2014 draft being a pile of crap. The 2015 draft looked no more impressive but we can't fully and finally evaluate that for another season. Remember how guys like you were crowing and appealing to authority about the Hilapio's and Zach Moore's of the 2014 draft? So yes, while they get a lot right, Belichick will be the first to tell you that he screws up. That said, they do get more than their fair share right. I hope that this is the case, as I always do. I have zero issue with being wrong and admitting where I am. But I just don't see it. If they're looking at Brissett as an NFL caliber quarterback, I'd love to know exactly what they saw to make them believe that.

Take it up with philosophers and critical thinkers. It's a logical fallacy for a reason. Let's expand that ridiculous line of reasoning, shall we? The president of the United States says that intel leads him to believe it would be prudent to nuke Iran or North Korea. Would you stand back and say "well, he's forgotten more on the situation in the Middle East/Asia than I'll ever know so yeah... let's do it!"? Of course not.

By the way, I'd see if I can do it myself before calling the plumber.

Of course, but then why don't they have a 100% hit rate? Why do coaches and front office people get fired all the time for personnel mistakes that the fans are right on? Face it, bud, the guy on the lazyboy is right more often than you want to give him credit for.

This is the silly season around here, IMO. Because it's always hilarious when people that watch maybe 1-2 hours a year of college ball yell at the rest of us that watch it every Saturday.

Yeah, I'm mad.:rolleyes:

So, you are more of an authority than anyone I mentioned. I stand corrected.

Brissett has ties to Parcells and Charlie Weis. And his tapes looked fine as one of the 2nd tier QB's. Is there a better pedigree for a 3rd rounder?

Nobody is close to Parcells. The man eats barbed nails for lunch. It's a matter of surviving his withering glares and incessant dressing downs.

That Bissett survived any of this seems to demonstrate that he has some degree of mental toughness.

What is significant is whether Parcells ever said "That is why you'll never be a quarterback in the NFL"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back