PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So that's why they picked Bissett for QB3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that if this was Danny Ainge instead of Bill Belichick, the Patriots would be trading Brady instead of Garrapolo in return for some massive haul of first-round picks :D

Last edited:
It's a bit like "Chase the Ace". You buy a ticket, and if it's picked you get a bit of a prize with a chance for the big jackpot. I'd say BB "hit the jackpot" on TB and, to a lesser extent, Cassel. He might as well keep trying for the next winner.

I get that this thread is about why pick Brissett - and the Weis connection makes sense. But a lot of folks are also asking why draft a QB this high vs a RB or WR, etc. After all, if they needed a QB for the preseason and as backup for 4 games, why not the sixth round? No pardon a very little bit of hijacking...

IMHO, they drafted relatively high because QBs are far more important than even the next most important player on the team (LT, RDE / ROLB, #1 outside CB, you name it) and because someday Brady will retire and the older he is (obviously!) the more likely that is. Because when Brady was younger you could afford to have only one QB in development, but you risk the franchise at this point if you don't keep the pipeline full with quality players. Because it's easy to miss on a drafted QB so you must keep drafting them. Because if Jimmy G has to start, then you need a backup, and if he never starts and he's good enough to start, he'll leave to start elsewhere.

So you could draft a QB in the sixth round and hope lightning strikes twice. Or you can keep drafting them in the upper rounds as Brady gets older.

And let's be thankful they don't have $50 million and half their picks locked up in QBs like the Eagles, and their starter angling for a trade.

I have a feeling that if this was Danny Ainge instead of Bill Belichick, the Patriots would be trading Brady instead of Garrapolo in return for some massive haul of first-round picks :D

If JG plays well in his 4 game audition, this is absolutely what they should do. Brady is my all time favorite Boston athlete, but we need to be realistic about what a 40 year old QB can accomplish.

I dunna know. Danny held on to Truth, KG and Ray-Ray because he felt that the team was still a title contender and in 2011 and even 2012 they had realistic shots at going to the finals.

I think when BB sees the team going 10-6 and Brady reduced to caretaker status when he is 53 years old he'll move on.

I dunna know. Danny held on to Truth, KG and Ray-Ray because he felt that the team was still a title contender and in 2011 and even 2012 they had realistic shots at going to the finals.

I think when BB sees the team going 10-6 and Brady reduced to caretaker status when he is 53 years old he'll move on.
Obvious typo. You meant 63, of course. :D

I think Belichick will be energized by the challenge of coaching up Brady's replacement, and proving which one of them was the wellspring of Patriot success. I don't see BB leaving until he has shown Brady was replaceable, by installing his replacement without disrupting the club's playoff success.

GOAT coach >> GOAT QB

I think Belichick will be energized by the challenge of coaching up Brady's replacement, and proving which one of them was the wellspring of Patriot success. I don't see BB leaving until he has shown Brady was replaceable, by installing his replacement without disrupting the club's playoff success.

GOAT coach >> GOAT QB
BB is going nowhere.

I watched him closely in college, and I'm a bit confused by the pick. Brissett grew once he left Florida, but I still have to think the Pats are planning on converting him to another position. Brissett is athletic but, as a QB, he had a hard time processing info pre-snap and got confused by what the defense was doing at times. If the Pats were going to pick a quarterback, I would have rather them gone after Cook than Brissett. That said, they need a back-up for four games then maybe they can try him as a TE project if they don't love what they see out of him at QB.

I watched him closely in college, and I'm a bit confused by the pick. Brissett grew once he left Florida, but I still have to think the Pats are planning on converting him to another position. Brissett is athletic but, as a QB, he had a hard time processing info pre-snap and got confused by what the defense was doing at times. If the Pats were going to pick a quarterback, I would have rather them gone after Cook than Brissett. That said, they need a back-up for four games then maybe they can try him as a TE project if they don't love what they see out of him at QB.
I agree on the potential position change. For now, he is suspension insurance. But he looks an awful lot like a Geno/Tie-rod clone. If he has good hands then get him on the other end of passes after Brady is available again.

A much lesser extent...
Not sure I'd agree. What did Cassel end up netting us in return for sending him to KC? Got a second round pick after drafting him in the seventh. Sounds like a jackpot hit to me.

Last edited:
Not sure I'd agree. What did Cassel end up netting us in return for sending him to KC? Got a second round pick after drafting him in the seventh. Sounds like a jackpot hit to me.
Are you saying that Tom Brady's career is comparable to a second round pick?

I don't know, the couple of game video I watched against somewhat upper echelon competition, he barely had time to turn around let alone process anything before he was under siege.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back