PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So tell me about Tom Ashworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Chris Simms has a quick release

Very, very, quality backup/utility player, great for depth because of his flexibility. Pray he's not a starter. ;)

no, other than the broncos game his pass protection has always been decent
its his run blocking that hes not great at

TAMPA BAY BUC said:
Inquiring minds would like to know.
Adequate swing tackle. Performed well enough at both LT and RT.

Personally, I wouldn't want him as anything more than a back-up unless he was pressed into service because of injury (though he IS better than Brandon Gorin). However, he is a team player and is willing do do whatever is needed to help the team win. Lined up at TE and at FB in goal line situations. Played injured and with having the flu.

He has decent hands.

Average journeyman starter or backup right tackle at veteran minimum salary. Has back problems that may limit his availability.

He started the season at RT for the Pats last year, but when he returned from injury late in the year, he wasn't able to take his starting spot back from another journeyman, Brandon Gorin. He spent the remainder of the year as a backup at tackle and blocking fullback in short yardage situations.

hwc said:
Average journeyman starter or backup right tackle at veteran minimum salary. Has back problems that may limit his availability.

He started the season at RT for the Pats last year, but when he returned from injury late in the year, he wasn't able to take his starting spot back from another journeyman, Brandon Gorin. He spent the remainder of the year as a backup at tackle and blocking fullback in short yardage situations.

Actually, BB said that he didn't want to break the continuity. Also, Asworth started at least 2 games at LT for the Patriots when Kaczur was out injured.

DaBruinz said:
Actually, BB said that he didn't want to break the continuity. Also, Asworth started at least 2 games at LT for the Patriots when Kaczur was out injured.

What's BB supposed to say? He's not going to throw Ashworth under the bus. But, the actions speak louder than words. With our starting LT on injured reserve, the best Ashworth could muster late in the season was third on the depth chart behind a rookie and a journeyman. There was no "continuity" to break. What did we rush for last year? 2.3 yards per carry, or something like that?

I'd like to have Ashworth on the roster. Reliable depth. Maybe I'd go $1 million, $1.5 million a year. At the end of the day, he's "just a guy".

Last edited:
I thought that he did very well in those VISA commercials.

PATSNUTme said:

Yeah, if not for Russ Hochstein, he would have been the star.

hwc said:
What's BB supposed to say? He's not going to throw Ashworth under the bus. But, the actions speak louder than words. With our starting LT on injured reserve, the best Ashworth could muster late in the season was third on the depth chart behind a rookie and a journeyman.

I'd like to have Ashworth on the roster. Reliable depth. Maybe I'd go $1 million, $1.5 million a year. At the end of the day, he's "just a guy".

HWC - Kaczur clearly had proven himself as the better player for the LT position. So, BB's not going to make that swap. It was a coin flip between Gorin and Ashworth. BB felt that continuity was a bigger factor. BB could have said nothing at all. But he did. That isn't throwing a player under the bus. What Manning did was throwing teammates under the bus.

Late in the season, Ashworth managed to be the Pats starting LT.

BTW, where did I say anything in my correction to you to imply that Ashworth was anything more than a JAG? I'd really be interested in knowing that.

I hear has has a wicked slice....something about not getting his hips through the swing.

DaBruinz said:
BB felt that continuity was a bigger factor.

Again, I ask. What continuity? The Pats offensive line, decimated by injuries, was a total disaster last year. IMO, the O-line is what ultimately cost us a shot at another SuperBowl. If Belichick had thought that Ashworth was better than Gorin late in the year, he would have made that switch. He obviously didn't. How much of a factor Ashworth's lingering injuries may have played in that decision, I don't know.

I'm not surprised that Belichick is content to clean house on the O-line, letting guys like Ashworth and Neal "test the waters". Belichick knows that the lack of running production last year killed the Pats.

PATSNUTme said:

Don't forget he was the starter on a Super bowl winning club, Twice...

AzPatsFan said:
Don't forget he was the starter on a Super bowl winning club, Twice...

once

Gorin was the RT in 2004

Ashworth came into the league as an UDFA. He started out as a TE at Colorado and moved over to OT when Daniel Graham joined the team. I know he started some games at LT and may have played both OTs spots while at Colorado. He worked his way up from the Pats' Practice Squad to win the starting RT slot in 2003. He started at RT in 2004 for the first six games before going on I/R with a back injury. He was one of the first into the weight room last March to start preparing for the 2005 season. He won the start at RT again this season before injuring his knee and missing a few games - I keep hearing that he has a chronic back problem from some posters, but have never seen it show up on the injury report after 2004.

Ashworth is a Patriots' standard for OL, smaller and highly mobile when compared to the heavyweights preferred by teams like Pittsburgh and Kansas City. He is a proven Swing Tackle who does a solid job against speed rushers and the power boys. Gorin, who was the sub who took his RT slot after he went on I/R in 2004 took over when Ashworth was hurt this year, the Patriots' run game had been struggling all season and Gorin is the better run blocker with more continuity alongside RG Neal, so Gorin was left in the game at RT after Ashworth came back. Instead of moping, Ashworth took reps at TE and FB. He was ready to plug in at LT when the starter was injured and did a fine job - you may remember Tampa's visit to Gillette this year, that was Ashworth protecting Brady's blind side against your lads.

I strongly disagree that Ashworth is a JAG, I'm not so sure there is such a thing as a JAG Swing Tackle. Ashworth isn't a road grader, he is a mobile player who can play at either OT or OG slot, as well as short yardage FB and TE. After being coached by one of the better O-line Coaches in the league, he is a sound technician who demonstrated his flexibility this season in time for his UFA year. Belichick tendered him at the middle (1st round compensation) tender for his RFA year (right after Ashworth spent the season on I/R with the back injury), it would seem he has little doubt about Ash's value to the team. This is the time for a veteran minimum guy like Ashworth to make his big score, I would be very glad to see him back and I expect Belichick and Co. would too.

Ashworth is solid at RT and can back up LT. Very versatile. Good pass blocker needs to get more power for run blocking (a speedy back can make lineman look good). Even though run game was average this past year, yards per carry average on RT was higher than the rest of line (Gorin took some time there late.)

IMO, BB was not going to keep both Ash & Gorin for '06. Gorin is already under contract at a rate much lower than what Ashworth will demand in FA and BB wanted to see if Gorin was worth keeping.

Ashworth will make some team a solid RT for the next several years. Never will be ProBowl but will be solid.

I wish him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back