PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So Pioli did not want McDaniels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady to Brown

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
As his head coach?

If he did, one would think he would have told Josh to hang on a day or so before signing with the Donkeys.

Re: So Pioli did not want McDaniels....

nah....Josh didn't want Scott as his GM. :snob:

discussions heated up 2day between KC and Pioli....i do not believe he himself knew he was leaving quite yet

Last edited:

Plus McDaniels can go to Denver where he has a franchise QB on the roster already. The Broncos are in much better shape to win now than KC is.

I think on a day when both are moving out of the nest, off to truly make a name for themselves (not that either of them should overly feel like they've got something to prove) it wouldn't make sense for them to go to the same team.

The question would always be hanging over them - which one would gain more credit (or blame) for the future of their organization.

Better for them each to strike out on their own.

McDaniels couldn't bet on the KC deal for Pioli coming through. It seemed pretty clear that Pioli had high demands and if he didn't get them, he was going to stay with the Patriots. For McDaniels, Denver was probably the best open position and if he didn't take it, it may have been gone by the time Pioli decided on KC.

I don't know if Pioli would have ultimately took McDaniels as his head coach if he was available, but he was definitely on the short list.

I think on a day when both are moving out of the nest, off to truly make a name for themselves (not that either of them should overly feel like they've got something to prove) it wouldn't make sense for them to go to the same team.

The question would always be hanging over them - which one would gain more credit (or blame) for the future of their organization.

I agree. I think they are willing to walk their own paths and make a name for themselves, not merely the "Disciples of Bill".

Regardless, it's interesting that they both moved to the same division. Some in the media will make 'who had the better hire' comparisons in both those cities - which puts one of those two on the hot seat somewhere down the road in a couple of years.

I didn't know Herm was fired yet.

It's also possible that Denver saw the writing on the wall and didn't give McDaniels time to wait around for Pioli.

Do you really think that first-time coaches and GMs ponder this legacy question and let it determine where they go and with whom?

Last edited:

Do you really think that first-time coaches and GMs ponder this legacy question and let it determine where they go and with whom?

They should. A bad first time coach doesn't always get a good job.

One of the reasons Belichick has an issue with Mangini is that he told Mangini to wait another year, because the Jets were a no win situation. Denver on the other hand, is the perfect situation for a new coach: young elite qb, young elite wr, young very good line, and in a bad division. He just needs to find a good rb, which is easy, and build a mediocre defense, and he wins 12 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes