PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So Peter King tell us how you really feel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: So Peter King tell us how you really feel.

Love Sirius-XM NFL Radio. But the mornings were bad enough having to listen to Bob Papa, the voice of the Giants (although I don't think he's a particularly bad announcer), but I won't even listen now when Peter King is on. Oh, well.

This is awesome. It's great that people can spend all day making personal attacks against every single person who didn't ballwash the Patriots draft. Really, I think it's great that so many Pulitzer Prize winners and major newspaper editors take the time to come here and do that.

This is awesome. It's great that people can spend all day making personal attacks against every single person who didn't ballwash the Patriots draft. Really, I think it's great that so many Pulitzer Prize winners and major newspaper editors take the time to come here and do that.

Don't lump everyone into that group. I feel like a lot of us are arguing his points without resorting to personal attacks on King himself.

That said, King is wrong on this one, and really I'm very puzzled by his reaction.
It's pretty simple. When a mediot makes a prediction the way King did, and the team does the opposite, how is he supposed to grade them? They certainly did not do as expected, and he extpected them to move up to improve the team, so in King's mind they didn't improve the team.

That is the joke about grading drafts. Teams are graded by what they did compared to what the evaluator thought they should have done.

It's silly, but harmless.

The funny thing is that other than ILB, I felt SS was the Pats biggest need going into the draft over CB or ILB or O-line.

Thank you! I haven't heard this opinion (which matches mine) often enough. You need three starting-or-near-that-quality safeties, or else you're hurting! What if Rodney retires and Meriweather gets IRed in September? Then you would have had Sanders and ???. We tend to have 3 to 6 injuries in our defensive backfield in a bad year (all too often). Maybe we're STILL thin at safety!

Really, the only need we didn't address in this draft was pass rushing linebackers, and let's be honest... would any player outside of the top 10-15 have stepped in and made a difference to the pass rush this year? More than likely that answer is no.

Great point, Sicilian. It's as if BB believes, "To be an OLB for me, you have to be so good that either you're a veteran with experience, or a rookie with freakish (top 15) talent."

I guess Peter King still feels he needs to be relevent, he hates the nfl network ,because it rained on his scoop parade.. The Pats have been shutting out King for a while since Spygate, and he has to rely on second hand news... Peter King is only higher then John Clayton, and that is not saying much

Don't lump everyone into that group. I feel like a lot of us are arguing his points without resorting to personal attacks on King himself.

I realize that, and I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to everyone. But, doesn't it get ridiculous to you when every single person who makes a comment that, in any small way, doesn't anoint the Patriots as perfection personified gets personally attacked? Nothing that the OP quoted can be shown to be wrong by anyone here, and King even gave a nod to BB with his "we all said the same thing about Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Matt Light and Logan Mankins." Nonetheless, the drones are out buzzing and attacking. It's pathetic.

Chung marks the return of the big nickel defense!

If it hasn't been taken, I'm claiming credit for this nickname:

"Wham" Chung

It's pretty simple. When a mediot makes a prediction the way King did, and the team does the opposite, how is he supposed to grade them? They certainly did not do as expected, and he extpected them to move up to improve the team, so in King's mind they didn't improve the team.

That is the joke about grading drafts. Teams are graded by what they did compared to what the evaluator thought they should have done.

It's silly, but harmless.

Exactly. Mocking is a fun, but futile game for semi-informed amateurs (of which I'm one). Is there one person on the planet who correctly mocked the first ten picks? Did any mocker match more than a few picks with their teams in the second or later rounds?

As for grading the draftees before they put on pads-ridiculous. How many of these draftees do the Pats have space for on their roster? Four? Five? Some will make the practice squad, and a couple may have minor trade value. We won't know who's going to shine and who will flop until the preseason is well under way.

I think that's why Peter King is an analyst and BB is the best coach in the NFL.

Things that BB did that Peter King doesn't give him credit for:

1. Had a very cap-friendly draft, and freed up room by trading out of the 1st round and by trading Ellis Hobbs.
2. Build flexibility for 2010 or for trades by adding 2 additional 2nd round players.
3. Rebuilding the secondary, which was the weakest part of the team last year. Butler, Bodden and Springs are all likely to be better than our starting CBs last year, with Wheatley and Wilhite improved as the nickel/dime. Chung will probably complement Meriweather as our starting SS by the end of the year, with Sanders terrific as a 3rd guy in a rotation instead of as a marginal starter.
4. Added depth on the OL, where we have multiple FAs after 2009.
5. Signed a solid 3rd ILB to complement Mayo and Guyton.

Those were obviously the priorities. Plus Ron Brace for DL depth and a backup/insurance policy for Wilfork. Obviously, signing a big name or a 3-4 pass rusher wasn't a big priority for BB.

The man knows what he's doing. Peter King doesn't.
I pretty much agree with your comments, but one thing you wrote is REALLY interesting to me.
You immediately moved Butler (this years #2) into the starting lineup, and made Wheatley (last years #2) as nickel/dime.
Its interesting to me because this is where the draft is overblown. Anyone drafted this weekend automatically is going to play to the upside of their potential and anyone in the league is less of a player today than they were last Friday.
This is why these draft ratings are foolish.
Also, this is why the Jet/Brown trade is being poorly analyzed.
The Browns got 3 NFL players that WILL play for them. They will probably trade Derek Anderson now, because clearly Mangini is fine with the new backup, and the other 2 guys will start.
If the Browns had gotten 1, 3 2s, and a 3, and with the other 2 2s and 3 they drafted 2 immediate starters and a backup QB guaranteed to make the team, and guaranteed to impress the HC, everyone would think the destroyed the Jets in that trade.
But since you don't have the hope of selecting an unknown all-pro with that extra late round pick getting 2 staters and a backup QB is viewed as worse than draft picks.
Its ridiculous.

I realize that, and I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to everyone. But, doesn't it get ridiculous to you when every single person who makes a comment that, in any small way, doesn't anoint the Patriots as perfection personified gets personally attacked? Nothing that the OP quoted can be shown to be wrong by anyone here, and King even gave a nod to BB with his "we all said the same thing about Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Matt Light and Logan Mankins." Nonetheless, the drones are out buzzing and attacking. It's pathetic.

Agreed wholeheartedly. There is a bit of oversensitivity on this board for sure. I remember not too long ago, people embraced criticism from the media. "Bring it on, we'll see what happens on the field." If you have confidence in your team, then the opinions of others shouldn't get you so riled up.

I'm not a big fan of King only because I feel like he speaks without really considering all the angles. But name-calling doesn't prove anything, I agree.

Has King every picked up a football in his life?

I didn't have a problem with his opinion when you read the whole article. Did everyone miss this statement:

Basically, he says he doesn't understand the Pats draft. I don't have much of a problem with that. Personally, I'm happy with it assuming the 2nd rounders make good contributions to this team over the next few years.

Yeah I'll cut him some slack as well. There have been many BB drafts over the years in which I have scratched my head and uttered "What?", but those drafts have taught me never to be judgmental immediately. Let's let this season play out and then we can evaluate the draft.

The more I hear and read from Peter King, the more I agree with Steve Szaban's (Fox early morning national sports talk show host) assessment that Peter King is clueless about much in the NFL.

Take what he says here:

Peter King said:
But it was almost like the Patriots lost a guy (Percy Harvin? Brandon Pettigrew? Larry English?) they liked right above their first-round pick, then just started dumping, and by the time they picked, they were down to the Patrick Chungs of the world at 34.

That pick was odd. They've got a pair of 25-year-old safeties, James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather, they like very much. Is it possible they picked Chung to be mostly a special-teams demon for a year or two?

Most everyone on this board understands that neither Sanders nor Meriweather is well-suited for the position of strong safety which is exactly what Patrick Chung is. In fact, Patrick Chung was the concensus #2 strong safety in the draft and the concensus top strong safety on the board at the time of the Patriots' pick. And yet Peter King doesn't have a clue as to why they would pick a strong safety. And this is supposed to be one of the premier commentators on the NFL? What is wrong with this picture?

Peter King also says in this quote that the Patriots "just started dumping". And yet, an hour before the draft started, Bill Belichick in a live interview on the NFL Network said that the Patriots chances of trading up in the first round were "less than zero" and that the Patriots were likely to trade down from their pick at #23. Then the go out and do exactly that and Mr. King characterizes it as "just dumping". Incredible! Incredibly stupid!

It isn't so much whether he likes or dislikes the draft of the Patriots (although, being a Pats fan, that does make a difference). The real point of this is that he doesn't understand things that many fans who are not hard core know off the top of their heads. Why should I trust any opinion he has when he shares drivel like this as useful opinion?

People still take King seriously?

Its interesting to me because this is where the draft is overblown. Anyone drafted this weekend automatically is going to play to the upside of their potential and anyone in the league is less of a player today than they were last Friday.
This is why these draft ratings are foolish.

Can I hear an "amen, brother"?

Belichick doesn't even know what roles will emerge within groups of players by the end of camp. Take safety, for example, with Peter King's idiotic musing about why we drafted Chung when we already had two starting safeties. Belichick has explained over and over and over that you try to upgrade competion in camp and let the roles take care of themselves. Maybe Tank Williams is fully healthy. Maybe Sanders gets injured in camp. Maybe Chung impresses from day one. Maybe he doesn't. The roles will define themselves over time and, almost certainly, there will be an important contibution for 50 or 60 Patriots to make over the course of a season.

It's like analysts can only deal with plugging names into a starting lineup and once you've got 22 names on the list, everything is taken care of. Football is not like that. It's trying to build a 53 man roster to deal with an immensely dynamic, complicated, and unpredictable plotline. I mean, we started a game last year with Mark LeVoir at right tackle -- a kid who had been on the Bears practice squad a year earlier. Did any of the analysts factor that into assessing the Patriots draft needs? Of course not. But, that's the NFL.

Peter King also says in this quote that the Patriots "just started dumping". And yet, an hour before the draft started, Bill Belichick in a live interview on the NFL Network said that the Patriots chances of trading up in the first round were "less than zero" and that the Patriots were likely to trade down from their pick at #23. Then the go out and do exactly that and Mr. King characterizes it as "just dumping". Incredible! Incredibly stupid!

Belichick not only spelled it out, saying that the chances of the Pats moving up into the top-10 were "less than zero", he even explained that he didn't think there were any players worth high picks, "Mike, I know you don't like the guys who are up there, either."

Some of these "journalists" would be better served just reporting what Belichick says instead of trying to guess what he's thinking.

and, all this from a football "journalist" who spends a full paragraph in is post-draft article telling us about flushing the toilet in an airport stall after taking a dump.

And i thought reading his reviews of coffee drinks was annoying....

lmfao !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing