PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So...Pats' possible moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only somewhat significant difference being Deion Sanders was one of the best to ever play the game. Cromartie is an overrated, off-injured slightly above-average cornerback.

Are those really the only choices we have? How about we use him like we did this season? Fact remains, fumbles notwithstanding he had a good year. There's no reason to believe he won't give us the same if not better production in 2010. Or perhaps you'd like to rely on a couple old, injury prone vets and (one would presume) a rookie.

Definitely more upside? We know this how? They're both the same age, and were drafted the same year.

So you're making the claim that LM is expendable because he's not too bright and makes too many mental mistakes. What mental mistakes are you referring to, exactly? You realize Cromartie isn't exactly, err, known for his acumen? Why would we want to trade for a guy who has no heart?

I indicated the other guy wasn't clever either!
Some good points here JB and some typical. Fumbling is mental, not physical. Running the wrong hole is as well.
The upside is that LM can't improve. I think he is what he is. His 2006 FOX Sport Draft snap shot of him was runs too upright and very indecisive to pick a hole (paraphrasing).
DW Toys

Some good points here JB and some typical. Fumbling is mental, not physical. Running the wrong hole is as well.
The upside is that LM can't improve. I think he is what he is. His 2006 FOX Sport Draft snap shot of him was runs too upright and very indecisive to pick a hole (paraphrasing).
DW Toys

By that logic, Kevin Faulk would no longer be on the team.

And there is absolutely, positively not one shred of evidence to support your assertion that Maroney can't improve. Hell, just last year he improved his running style; more physical, making shaking tacklers in the phone booth, etc.

Last edited:
DW Toys

Did he get hit in the head during or prior to the Indy game? Because his "fumbling problem" is really a 3 game stretch. His previous 3 years in the league he had 1 fumble in his rookie year.

I agree Maroney is what he is: A relatively good running back that consistently runs for 4 YPC in a pass oriented offense

Last edited:
ESPN's Len Pasquarelli suggests that Antonio Cromartie could be traded "to an AFC East club in return for a tailback."
AFC East backs that may be on the block include Marshawn Lynch, Thomas Jones, and Laurence Maroney. Cromartie, though, probably doesn't appeal strongly to any of the aforementioned teams because he can't (or won't) tackle. A power runner with versatility, Lynch would be San Diego's most desirable pickup. It will likely take more than just Cromartie to get him.

Rotoworld - Cromartie to AFC East?

Jones wouldn't really make sense for SD as I assume they are looking to get younger at RB. Lynch or Maroney would make more sense. It should be noted Pasquarelli did call the Burgess to NE trade, so he might have a decent idea of what is going on in NE.

Did he get hit in the head during or prior to the Indy game? Because his "fumbling problem" is really a 3 game stretch. His previous 3 years in the league he had 1 fumble in his rookie year.

I agree Maroney is what he is: A relatively good running back that consistently runs for 4 YPC in a pass oriented offense

The funny thing about the whole fumbling problem is that, going into last year, whenever I brought up the point that he never fumbled, his detractors claimed that it was a small point, at best--fumbles were largely irrelevant. Now that he had one bad stretch, suddenly it's the nail in the coffin. Yes, he had some issues for a few weeks in 2009. Other than that, he's been exceptional at hanging onto the ball. Don't know what to expect going forward, but I definitely wouldn't call him fumble-prone.

Some 2010 unrestricted free agents...

Mike Vrabel
Kelley Washington
LaMont Jordan
Richard Seymour
Russ Hochstein

No

Why would you not want Richard Seymour?

We obviously missed him last year. And in the end it will be like we rented him (Fee: 1st round draft pick) to the Raiders for a year.

Just because he said he wouldn't play here again doesn't mean anything, Johnny Damon also said he'd never play for the Yankees.

Last edited:
Why would you want not Richard Seymour?

We obviously missed him last year. And in the end it will be like we rented him (Fee: 1st round draft pick) to the Raiders for a year.

Just because he said he wouldn't play here again doesn't mean anything, Johnny Damon also said he'd never play for the Yankees.

Cause hes been franchised and would not trade a 1st rounder for him.

I missed Seymour too, but that ship has sailed. We already have the first rounder from the Raiders and they have franchised him. I'd rather look into the draft for his replacement (since there aren't a plethora of 3-4 DE's on the market right now) and hope that he can play right away.

I missed Seymour too, but that ship has sailed. We already have the first rounder from the Raiders and they have franchised him. I'd rather look into the draft for his replacement (since there aren't a plethora of 3-4 DE's on the market right now) and hope that he can play right away.

I don't think finding one in this years draft will be all that easy. I think you have to get one high and hope he can play. Or get one like Thomas from SYR or Neal from Purdue(insert other name here) and take a year or so to bring them along. Either way like you said finding a 34 End is no easy chore. I think if your looking for a stop gap, you find one in say round 2 and get a FA who can fill in for a year or so. Or just change the front.

I don't think finding one in this years draft will be all that easy. I think you have to get one high and hope he can play. Or get one like Thomas from SYR or Neal from Purdue(insert other name here) and take a year or so to bring them along. Either way like you said finding a 34 End is no easy chore. I think if your looking for a stop gap, you find one in say round 2 and get a FA who can fill in for a year or so. Or just change the front.

I like the idea of Wooten in the third, assuming we can pull one. I've heard some good stuff about him though, I should confess, I've never actually seen him play before.

I say trade Moss, Maroney, and AD for draft picks and rebuild.

If we could get a 2nd and a 5th for Moss, a 3rd for AD, and a 4th for Maroney we'd be in good shape.

This draft class is full of DE prospects. Granted, there doesn't appear to be any Seymours, but the talent level running through the entire class into undrafted free agency offers NE plenty of options for some decent kids to push Wright and Richard.

I say trade Moss, Maroney, and AD for draft picks and rebuild.

If we could get a 2nd and a 5th for Moss, a 3rd for AD, and a 4th for Maroney we'd be in good shape.
I'll take a 2011 7 for Adalius, the other two shouldn't be going anywhere.

I'll take a 2011 7 for Adalius, the other two shouldn't be going anywhere.

If I knew Maroney would play like he did in the game against New Orleans I'd agree with you but I predict he'll be lackluster like he has been, I'd rather get a pick and upgrade somewhere else, RBs of Maroney's caliber are all over the place.

As for Moss, after his injury/lack of production and then calling out the organization I don't see why you'd keep him with only 1 year left, if a good pick for him would allow us to get our hands on a receiver with a career ahead of him as opposed to behind it would be a steal.

As far as AD goes, the Jets would LOVE to get their hands on him, he has info on us and Rex Ryan would probably be able to use him a lot more effectively than we have. Teams going up against the Jets might like to bid on him just to keep him out of Ryan's hands.

If I knew Maroney would play like he did in the game against New Orleans I'd agree with you but I predict he'll be lackluster like he has been, I'd rather get a pick and upgrade somewhere else, RBs of Maroney's caliber are all over the place.

As for Moss, after his injury/lack of production and then calling out the organization I don't see why you'd keep him with only 1 year left, if a good pick for him would allow us to get our hands on a receiver with a career ahead of him as opposed to behind it would be a steal.

As far as AD goes, the Jets would LOVE to get their hands on him, he has info on us and Rex Ryan would probably be able to use him a lot more effectively than we have. Teams going up against the Jets might like to bid on him just to keep him out of Ryan's hands.
We can agree to disagree with Maroney, at this point he's inexpensive and would be an RFA in 2011 - he's too good a value to throw away unless the trade is obscenely tilted toward NE.

Trading Moss for doing a little preliminary contract negotiation - at worst - is paranoid. You have to really believe he's going to have an Oakland-like meltdown to even consider the issue. This is still an impact WR in the league, a team captain, and a guy for whom NE has no replacement on the horizon. You don't trade that away. On that point I give you my most sincere retired-noncom "you're 'effing' up by the numbers lad" frown (happily for us both the steeltoe kickstart which would normally follow said facial expression is not possible on the interwebz thingy - I'm getting too old to be throwing such hefty boots around).

Rumors out there are the Colts are not going to tag Gary Brackett. I would love to see him alongside Mayo in the middle. That is a very solid middle especially if they get the deal done for Wilfork. Guyton could move outside and maybe develop into a pass rusher with his speed. Brackett may not have the flashy stats but he is a gamer with a big heart and he can run and tackle.

Rumors out there are the Colts are not going to tag Gary Brackett. I would love to see him alongside Mayo in the middle. That is a very solid middle especially if they get the deal done for Wilfork. Guyton could move outside and maybe develop into a pass rusher with his speed. Brackett may not have the flashy stats but he is a gamer with a big heart and he can run and tackle.

Why in the world would you take a Tampa-2 ILB and put him into the two gap 3-4? He's 5'11", 230 lbs. Compare that to Guyton (who I'm not high on as a three down ILB at all) who is 6'3", 245 lbs. Brackett would not be a good fit at all in this defense.

Why in the world would you take a Tampa-2 ILB and put him into the two gap 3-4? He's 5'11", 230 lbs. Compare that to Guyton (who I'm not high on as a three down ILB at all) who is 6'3", 245 lbs. Brackett would not be a good fit at all in this defense.

It's possible that he's not a good fit... pretty much if he's not smart enough to pick it up. But he has the heart and physical tools to fit just fine. I don't care about his size or the fact that he looks kinda like buddha. If he can learn the system then he's a perfect fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes