PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So much for the top-conference bias

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Once upon a time, we all knew that BB did NOT spend high draft picks on guards. Or inside linebackers, who took years to develop. Plus you could count on him to trade down, not up, in round 1.

Needless to say, he has pretty much obliterated all attempts at formulating Patriots draft "rules." But the idea that he strongly favored players from the most competitive conferences, and especially the SEC, was still kicking around.

So, naturally, the first two days of the draft netted 4 players, two from Conference USA and 2 from the Big East.

Rules, shmules.

Once upon a time, we all knew that BB did NOT spend high draft picks on guards. Or inside linebackers, who took years to develop. Plus you could count on him to trade down, not up, in round 1.

Needless to say, he has pretty much obliterated all attempts at formulating Patriots draft "rules." But the idea that he strongly favored players from the most competitive conferences, and especially the SEC, was still kicking around.

So, naturally, the first two days of the draft netted 4 players, two from Conference USA and 2 from the Big East.

Rules, shmules.

TBH, I think if there is one rule, it is this: BB is more likely to draft players when he has a "feel" for them from his "network."

TBH, I think if there is one rule, it is this: BB is more likely to draft players when he has a "feel" for them from his "network."

So is there a new mole in Conference USA? Any obvious candidates?

Look for the Big 10 next year or year after. Ohio State and Penn State in particular. I'm waiting for players RECRUITED by Bill O'Brien and Mayer to "graduate" into the draft. BB keeps referring to Rutgers players as Schiano's recruits, even though Schiano is no longer there.

Of course, the Big 10 is a top-level conference.

ryan shazier and bradley roby are two of my favorite players in college football both on osu so thats a plus

I fell for this. When Football Outsider's Sack Seer came out for 2013 I noticed Jamie Collins but when I saw the conference he played, I dismissed the possibility of the Patriots selecting him out of hand and didn't bother to research any further. Ha Ha!

I guess the only tendencies BB has is the propensity to add "good players that will help our football team".

So is there a new mole in Conference USA? Any obvious candidates?

Not that I can see, but in this case, I was referring to the Rutgerspalooza.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back