PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, Let's Talk About a Potential Contract for Gronk

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO...
Pats will be willing to pay $7 mill next year for this part time player. But at $11 mill and $12 mill in '18 + '19, way too much for Bill the Economist

Why would he take a pay cut? He's got a ring he can go get paid somewhere else.

Take a pay cut when Brady could be done at any moment dude is nearly 40 years old he's not going to be playing like this forever.

There's zero chance Gronk would even entertain a paycut.

I'm done with him, football players play football and Gronkowski has not played enough of it

He hasn't done too poorly:

NFL records
  • Youngest player with 3 touchdown receptions in a game: 21 years, 214 days (2010, vs. Pittsburgh Steelers)
  • Youngest player with 3 touchdown receptions in a game, playoffs: 22 years, 275 days (2011 playoffs, vs. Denver Broncos)
  • Most touchdown receptions by a tight end, season: 17 (2011)
  • Most touchdowns by a tight end, season: 18 (2011)
  • First tight end to lead the league in receiving touchdowns (2011)
  • Most receiving yards by a tight end, season: 1,327 (2011)
  • Most offensive touchdowns in first two seasons: 28 (Tied with Randy Moss)
  • Seasons with 10+ touchdowns by a tight end: 5 (2010–12, 2014–15)
  • Consecutive seasons with 10+ touchdowns by a tight end: 3 (2010–12)
  • First tight end to have 3 seasons with 10+ touchdowns and 1,000+ receiving yards (2011, 2014–15)[41]
  • Most career postseason receiving touchdowns by a tight end: 9
Patriots franchise records
  • Most games with 100+ receiving yards by a tight end: 22
  • Highest receiving yards per game average for a tight end (season): 82.9 (2011)
  • Youngest Patriot with 3 touchdown receptions in a game: 21 years, 214 days (2010, vs. Pittsburgh Steelers)
  • Youngest Patriot with 3 touchdown receptions in a game, playoffs: 22 years, 275 days (2011 playoffs, vs. Denver Broncos)
  • Most career touchdown receptions: 69

NFL records
  • Youngest player with 3 touchdown receptions in a game: 21 years, 214 days (2010, vs. Pittsburgh Steelers)
  • Youngest player with 3 touchdown receptions in a game, playoffs: 22 years, 275 days (2011 playoffs, vs. Denver Broncos)
  • First tight end to have 3 seasons with 10+ touchdowns and 1,000+ receiving yards (2011, 2014–15)[41]
  • Highest receiving yards per game average for a tight end (season): 82.9 (2011)
  • Youngest Patriot with 3 touchdown receptions in a game: 21 years, 214 days (2010, vs. Pittsburgh Steelers)
  • Youngest Patriot with 3 touchdown receptions in a game, playoffs: 22 years, 275 days (2011 playoffs, vs. Denver Broncos)

Yeah he was elite when out there but unfortunately it's not going to be a long career for Mr. Gronkowski

As weird as it sounds, i would try to reach a 2-year extension no matter what, especially now, to reward him for his relentless efforts to come back from all those injuries and to let him know the club backs him and trusts in his long term value (which would certainly motivates him to come back and get ready for the first week of february), as long as Gronk himself "keeps the faith" and the doctors don't see too much of a risk for his long term health. I would totally respect if he starts to change his mind and feels football may no longer be worth putting his post-career health in jeopardy at this point of his HOF career.

The fact is a healthy Gronk is the most devastating weapon an offensive coordinator could dream of, and locking him for the rest of the Brady-Belichick window basically means giving the team another shot every year to get a difference maker available come january.

I'm sure Gronk and the Pats agree on this and they have been trying to reach a new deal so far. Gronk would have to accept less guaranteed money, and the Pats would certainly have to load his incentive (playing time / performance. / team success) up to what a durable and productive Gronk would virtually deserve (which is close to the top WR salary range objectively). I would feel OK with a new five year contract that creates an annual average ajusted cap hit (after calculating the LTBE/NLTBE bonuses at end of each season) that could vary from 7/8 to 12/13M$. 7/8M$ would be a high price to pay in the years Gronk ends his season on IR list, but 12/13M$, with the ever-rising salary cap, would be a bargain for 19 games of an All Pro / OPOY-caliber Gronk that helps us win another Lombardi (best case scenario).

I may be completely mistaken about the doability of such a deal let alone the actual chances of Gronk still being Gronk through the next five years, but that's my hope.

Last edited:

NFL records
That's all great, but the team needs him on the field...

As weird as it sounds, i would try to reach a 2-year extension no matter what, especially now, to reward him for his relentless efforts to come back from all those injuries and to let him know the club backs him and trusts in his long term value (which would certainly motivates him to come back and get ready for the first week of february), as long as Gronk himself "keeps the faith" and the doctors don't see too much of a risk for his long term health. I would totally respect if he starts to change his mind and feels football may no longer be worth putting his post-career health in jeopardy at this point of his HOF career.

The fact is a healthy Gronk is the most devastating weapon an offensive coordinator could dream of, and locking him for the rest of the Brady-Belichick window basically means giving the team another shot every year to get a difference maker available come january.

I'm sure Gronk and the Pats agree on this and they have been trying to reach a new deal so far. Gronk would have to accept less guaranteed money, and the Pats would certainly have to load his incentive (playing time / performance. / team success) up to what a durable and productive Gronk would virtually deserve (which is close to the top WR salary range objectively). I would feel OK with a new five year contract that creates an annual average ajusted cap hit (after calculating the LTBE/NLTBE bonuses at end of each season) that could vary from 7/8 to 12/13M$. 7/8M$ would be a high price to pay in the years Gronk ends his season on IR list, but 12/13M$, with the ever-rising salary cap, would be a bargain for 19 games of an All Pro / OPOY-caliber Gronk that helps us win another Lombardi (best case scenario).

I may be completely mistaken about the doability of such a deal let alone the actual chances of Gronk still being Gronk through the next five years, but that's my hope.
I'd have to pass on this. The three years we have him for he is overpaid if he plays 8 games a year. If he plays 19-20 games next year then re-work it.

The team comes first. He can't stay on the field. No need to do any " rewarding". The team shouldn't have any trust in him health wise. It's not his fault no. The reality is he isn't reliable.

That statement will anger people. I realize he's an elite player on the field.

I'd have to pass on this. The three years we have him for he is overpaid if he plays 8 games a year. If he plays 19-20 games next year then re-work it.

Unless the Pats win another SB with him on the field.

Strange flip flopping depending on personnel.

Dion Lewis - "Keep him in bubble wrap until the playoffs" "He's a game changer (weapon) and with him this offense is near unstoppable"

Gronkowski - "Don't pay him if he's not on the field"

Every player on the team knows what kind of player both Gronk and Dion are. They realize they have a better chance of winning a trophy with them on the field. They also know that their own value goes up win they are a part of a championship team. So I think they would rather let Gronk get the bubble wrap treatment. So would I.

FWIW (warning - Speer, I mean Breer):

So consider that, and that Gronkowski has long been dissatisfied with his contract—a now-outdated eight-year deal he did in 2012.

I never thought I'd say this, but I feel this might be the end of Gronk.....yeesh.

Wow we really signed Gronk for a while when you think about it.

He had 2 years left on his rookie deal and they gave him a 6 year extension.. so he got more money for those 2 years but he was basically signed for 8 years at that point

A very long deal for a once in a generation talent

I don't think Gronk is going to make it through this contract. I think there is a solid chance he retires before this contract is up. The guy just can't stay healthy, he is tough but just has bad luck.

It's so hard to say because who knows how injuries will effect him. I never thought revis would decline so fast. Every player is different. It's unpredictable. Even if gronk doesn't play a full season for the next 5 years, maybe he dominates in the time that he plays. Maybe dominates a post season or two. Who knows how much longer Brady plays, maybe it's a good idea for garoppolo to have gronk apart of the offense. There are so many variables that go into answering the question. If BB does not want to resign him, He should consider trading him. He could probably get a very good return even with the injury history. He's so good that if you trade him for a good package; the move doesn't look all that bad compared to if he leaves in free agency and makes a big impact elseware. If you don't plan on resigning him, I guess the only thing you lose is a years production, but as I said in the thread I posted, one player (other than the qb) shouldn't be the difference in a championship or no championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back