PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So let's take a good look at McCourty, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly, you are one of those people who thinks you have the ENTIRE story about a player just from the blurbs you get on the different Mock Sites. You totally discount the fact that BB and the other coaches met with all those guys. They also clearly felt that CB was an area of need. How the talent and need worked out in their evaluation, we'll never know.

But, consider this. every one of the 1st round picks that BB has taken since he got here has become a starter. Every one of them. Can you say the same about every other team during that same time frame? No. You can't.

So, if you are disappointed, it should be because your expectations are based a minute amount of information and you decided to put an exorbitant amount of emotion into those expectations.

I decided a long time ago that I'd rather learn and try and figure out what I was missing so I could make better educated guesses than too much time and energy into being sad/disappointed/pi$$ed off at Belichick.

Of note, McCourty is going to come in and be an immediate impact as a return guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he got regular reps as the nickel this year and then pushed Bodden next year for a starting role. That is, of course, if he doesn't surpass Butler entirely.

Well put. My thoughts exactly when I read the complaints.

With Dez Bryant, is Roy Williams on the trading block? I'd be in favor of missing out on Bryant for Williams.

People are actually defending this pick when it's still in a vacuum?

Really?

Last edited:
I guess this is a depth move, but the writeups for this prospect are so similar to Wheatley's and Wilhite's. I'm trying so hard to drink the koolaid, but without a pass rush it doesnt matter if Deion, Nmandi, Ty Law, or Ronnie Lott are back there, this defense will be torched by Peyton yet again.

I
Any CB drafted has the ability to be a #1 corner. When you draft one in the 1st round you draft a shut down corner that you know will be a #1 CB in the league. You are already sucking up to the guy and he hasnt even been a Patriot 3 hours. He has his flaws that have been pointed out by many scouts. I am not saying he's a bad player, he is a solid CB and ST guy. Definitely not a 1st round pick IMO.
?

Your opinion is FLAWED just by the fact that you refuse to realize that the Patriots have their own scouts and they don't use any of the scouting services. You also blind yourself to the fact that BB and the coaches have actually spent time with these guys, breaking down film, asking questions and having them answered.. You have no clue how these guys hit it off. There is so much people like yourself refuse to acknowledge that you don't know, but you throw your childish fits when you can't understand why the Patriots did something.. Instead of accepting that you don't have all the information the Patriots did, you crucify them and make idiotic statements that are intended to make you look smarter than them. The smart fans look at you, laugh, and dismiss you because you base your opinions almost solely on sources unaffiliated with the Patriots. So, by reason, you're going to be more wrong and therefore, not have as much to bring.

There's no such thing as KNOWING that any rookie will absolutely be great. You also may want to venture outside of ESPN when looking for scouting reports on McCourty

No guarantee yes, but when you draft a CB in the first round, its fairly certain he is a shut down corner and will be a #1 CB. There isnt that feeling with McCourty. It is more of a solid CB and good ST.

Scouting reports on McCourty:

Rivals: McCourty isn't afraid to play near the line of scrimmage and displays good physicality when asked to press receivers. He possesses the length and body control to reroute receivers off the line. Exhibits good speed as a straight-line athlete and has the ability to turn and run with receivers down the field. But at times, he gets overextend with his footwork, allowing opposing wideouts to easily side-step his bump and get into routes. He lacks ideal balance when asked to get out of his breaks. Also, he can be slow to get back up to speed and close on the football. But he does display impressive awareness and ball skills from the trail technique. Does a nice job reading the receiver's eyes and getting his long arms between ball and man. He isn't nearly as comfortable in off-man. He has a tendency to get too high in his drop and struggles to consistently click and close on plays in front of him.

He does have his flaws..., still a solid CB though

"definitely" not? Well that's a disagreement you can take up with the scouts of the Patriots (and Jets and Saints).

It's funny because he himself said tonight that he didnt believe that he would be a first round pick...I have my opinion and I am entitled to that

LOL I can re-read this a thousand times and never do anything but laugh. Go email the Patriots I guess if you believe they have to explain their football knowledge to you.

The jokes on you then. You said that the Pats had spent months on their draft preparations, so by your thinking what they decided is the absolute best decision and they were 100% right. I am not the only one questioning their pick tonight, plenty of fans and knowledgeable media members did the same thing. Just because you live and die by "in BB we trust", doesnt mean the rest of the world cant critique his decisions and question if they are right

People are actually defending this pick when it's still in a vacuum?

Really?

How is the pick "in a vacuum"? Because the guy hasn't played yet? Or because people refuse to admit that we fans don't know nearly enough about the Patriots process to really ever get a good read on who they will take? Personally, it's the latter and it's a very viable reason to defend the pick.

Me? I'll fully admit that when I said Matt Light back in 2001, I was shooting from the hip.. But it's the pick I had written down when I read the reviews in the sporting news..

Your opinion is FLAWED just by the fact that you refuse to realize that the Patriots have their own scouts and they don't use any of the scouting services. You also blind yourself to the fact that BB and the coaches have actually spent time with these guys, breaking down film, asking questions and having them answered.. You have no clue how these guys hit it off. There is so much people like yourself refuse to acknowledge that you don't know, but you throw your childish fits when you can't understand why the Patriots did something.. Instead of accepting that you don't have all the information the Patriots did, you crucify them and make idiotic statements that are intended to make you look smarter than them. The smart fans look at you, laugh, and dismiss you because you base your opinions almost solely on sources unaffiliated with the Patriots. So, by reason, you're going to be more wrong and therefore, not have as much to bring.

Just because BB and staff put all this time in into making their player evaluations doesnt mean that they are always going to be right. Yes, they obviously put a lot more into evaluating the players that I did or anyone else that posted on here, but does that mean that we are not allowed to question their decision, just because we didnt put as much time in as they did? The fans on here are not the only one, numerous media guys who actually cover the game and team for a living criticized the Pats pick as well. I am not trying to sound smarter than the Pats by any stretch of the imagination I am simply questioning their pick tonight and stating why I believe they were wrong and what I would have done. I dont see anything wrong with that

How is the pick "in a vacuum"? Because the guy hasn't played yet? Or because people refuse to admit that we fans don't know nearly enough about the Patriots process to really ever get a good read on who they will take? Personally, it's the latter and it's a very viable reason to defend the pick.

Because we don't have concrete information on others planning to steal him, we don't have information on the Patriots trading for talented veterans at the DE, OLB or ILB positions, and we don't know the rest of the draft. All we know is one move, in a vacuum.

As a move in a vacuum, this was an idiotic pick. The team needed a CB, but it needed the above positions much more desperately.

Me? I'll fully admit that when I said Matt Light back in 2001, I was shooting from the hip.. But it's the pick I had written down when I read the reviews in the sporting news..

How nice for you. I picked the top 6 in order, called Tebow in the first round, and have been saying that the Patriots need to address the CB position. Let's both give ourselves a cookie.

Last edited:

It's funny because he himself said tonight that he didnt believe that he would be a first round pick...I have my opinion and I am entitled to that No one said you weren't entitled to it. Doesn't mean that it's not based on flawed information. In fact, it's clear that your information is based on the little snippets you get from sites and not from watching the guy play. Sorry, but the Pats have significantly more information on these guys than ANY website service. IF/When you figure that out, you might actually have an opinion that has some merit.

The jokes on you then. You said that the Pats had spent months on their draft preparations, so by your thinking what they decided is the absolute best decision and they were 100% right. I am not the only one questioning their pick tonight, plenty of fans and knowledgeable media members did the same thing. Just because you live and die by "in BB we trust", doesnt mean the rest of the world cant critique his decisions and question if they are right

Knowledgable media members? That's an Oxymoron like Arm Intelligence. *ROFLMAO*. Like WHO? Charlie Casserly? *LOL* Mel Kiper *LOL* Mike Mayock *LOL*

It's not a matter of living or dying by "In BB we trust". It's a matter of understanding that they have MORE information on these guys than ANY of the "knowledgable media members". You forget that the Pats do a lot more with these guys that those media members don't have access to. Once you realize that, you'll be a lot smarter for it.

How is that possible when 3 of the last 6 picks in the 1st round were ALL corners? McCourty would not have lasted to the Pats #44 pick and he has been ranked in the 1st round by plenty of reputable draft sites and experts including:

Rick Gosselin - #24
Rick Gosselin's top 100 prospects in this year's NFL Draft | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Scout Inc. - #29
NFL Draft 2010 - NFL - ESPN

GBN Draft Report - #26
Great Blue North Draft Report

Etc., etc., etc.

There's been a whole lot of whining and moaning about taking a corner who might just help get this defense off the field on 3rd down against teams like the Colts and Saints.

Did you really think the Pats style was to take a 'sexy' wide receiver with character issues like Dez Bryant?
BB's feigned interest in Bryant and Tebow were just that, smoke screens.

I remember a lot of people cried to the heavens when a certain Richard Seymour was taken over the 'sexy' wr du jour, David Terrell.
And where are they now? Um, Yeah. BB said he would have taken McCourty at #22 as well. So he obviously thought very highly of him.

That somescreen theory seems like a pretty good one since we made trades that pretty much made both picks happen.

Knowledgable media members? That's an Oxymoron like Arm Intelligence. *ROFLMAO*. Like WHO? Charlie Casserly? *LOL* Mel Kiper *LOL* Mike Mayock *LOL*

It's not a matter of living or dying by "In BB we trust". It's a matter of understanding that they have MORE information on these guys than ANY of the "knowledgable media members". You forget that the Pats do a lot more with these guys that those media members don't have access to. Once you realize that, you'll be a lot smarter for it.

When you stop being an unthinking homer, you'll be a lot smarter for it.

Last edited:
Could have been Bryant or Odwick and a fourth rounder, that sounds better

No it doesnt.
We need the corner much more than the WR. I'll pass on Bryants character flaws also.
Odrick will prove to be a stiff and wouldnt have barely seen the field this year.
Maybe there are other players we could have considered but I would have prefered trading the pick for 2 2nds than to take one of those guys.

It's funny because he himself said tonight that he didnt believe that he would be a first round pick...I have my opinion and I am entitled to that/

That doesn't mean he was thinking that up until the very moment his name was announced. With the reports of the Jets, Vikings and Saints interested in him, I'm sure he was getting some phone calls.

There's nothing wrong with him going into today not expecting to be picked. I'm sure he's not the only player that got drafted tonight that felt that way.There's some guys sitting at home right now wondering how they were NOT picked. It goes both ways.

If you asked Tim Tebow, I'd be very shocked if he expected all along to be the first QB taken after Bradford. I'm sure some other guys didn't expect to be taken as high or as low.

The only teams that wanted Dez Bryant were Dallas (obviously) and Baltimore, who traded back immediately after. Denver may have drafted him if Demaryius wasn't there. So, that means there were 28 teams that didn't want or need Dez. Including Seattle and San Fran who passed with both picks. Apparentley the reports were correct that teams have soured on WR this year. At least in thid first round.

Again with the whole media debate, comes up with pretty much every debate ever had on here. Their job is to cover the team and the game, they know a lot more the anyone that posts on here. They may not do as much scouting as the Patriots do, but they do enough of it to form a pretty well formed opinion and the respected hard working media members definitely have the authority to question the Patriots decisions. I am not referring to the media that you named, some of the Boston members have already questioned the pick and I am not talking Felger, Borges or Shank

No guarantee yes, but when you draft a CB in the first round, its fairly certain he is a shut down corner and will be a #1 CB. There isnt that feeling with McCourty. It is more of a solid CB and good ST.

Scouting reports on McCourty:

Rivals: McCourty isn't afraid to play near the line of scrimmage and displays good physicality when asked to press receivers. He possesses the length and body control to reroute receivers off the line. Exhibits good speed as a straight-line athlete and has the ability to turn and run with receivers down the field. But at times, he gets overextend with his footwork, allowing opposing wideouts to easily side-step his bump and get into routes. He lacks ideal balance when asked to get out of his breaks. Also, he can be slow to get back up to speed and close on the football. But he does display impressive awareness and ball skills from the trail technique. Does a nice job reading the receiver's eyes and getting his long arms between ball and man. He isn't nearly as comfortable in off-man. He has a tendency to get too high in his drop and struggles to consistently click and close on plays in front of him.

It's funny because he himself said tonight that he didnt believe that he would be a first round pick...I have my opinion and I am entitled to that

When did he say he thuoght he wouldnt be picked tonight? I think your facts are wrong. A disgruntled poster conclued that because he was in the bathroom when the phone rang.

Because we don't have concrete information on others planning to steal him, we don't have information on the Patriots trading for talented veterans at the DE, OLB or ILB positions, and we don't know the rest of the draft. All we know is one move, in a vacuum.

As a move in a vacuum, this was an idiotic pick. The team needed a CB, but it needed the above positions much more desperately.

So, because YOU insist on looking at it in a vacuum, YOU think it's an idiotic pick. Because YOU don't have the same information the Patriots do, it's an idiotic pick. Only an idiot would look at it in a vacuum, which is what you are doing.

How nice for you. I picked the top 6 in order, called Tebow in the first round, and have been saying that the Patriots need to address the CB position. Let's both give ourselves a cookie.

I had seven of the players to the correct teams in the round and picked 22 of 32 of the players drafted. Whoopdeedoo. I don't go around pretending to know what the Pats were thinking. I KNOW that we fans don't get but a tiny glimpse as to what their thinking. You can be the arrogant one who thinks he's better than everyone else.. I'll be the one who admits that we don't get enough info from the Pats and it's a shot in the dark as to whom they are going to pick. And I know that MY answer is clearly the more intelligent one.

Last edited:
Again with the whole media debate, comes up with pretty much every debate ever had on here. Their job is to cover the team and the game, they know a lot more the anyone that posts on here. They may not do as much scouting as the Patriots do, but they do enough of it to form a pretty well formed opinion and the respected hard working media members definitely have the authority to question the Patriots decisions. I am not referring to the media that you named, some of the Boston members have already questioned the pick and I am not talking Felger, Borges or Shank

Wait a minute.
Are you saying that because the writers job is to follow the Pats they knw more than posters, yet posters apparently know more than BB?
You dont really believe that sportswriters scout draft choices do you?

I had seven of the players to the correct teams in the round and picked 22 of 32 of the players drafted. Whoopdeedoo. I don't go around pretending to know what the Pats were thinking. I KNOW that we fans don't get but a tiny glimpse as to what their thinking. You can be the arrogant one who thinks he's better than everyone else.. I'll be the one who admits that we don't get enough info from the Pats and it's a shot in the dark as to whom they are going to pick. And I know that MY answer is clearly the more intelligent one.

Wait, now it's Whoopdeedoo after signing your own praise on Light? I love how you've tried to turn this around.

As for the arrogant nonsense, that's great irony coming from you. Also, as for you knowing your answer is clearly the more intelligent one, you should keep that fantasy alive in your head for as long as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes