PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So let's say we wanted a new DC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 pepper johnson, i think he will be the new DC

#2 Romeo Crennel,

#3 Rob Ryan,

#4 Brian Stewart he was the cowboys DC in 2007 and 2008 and is a Special Assistant to the Defense for the eagles now

#5 Dave Campo

Haha, hes such a prick. I went to his football camp this summer. And no he runs a 4-3.

Obviously he's a prick, he's a head football coach. The age old paradigm of head coaches still exists, "show me the meanest guy in the room and I will show you the head coach". You are correct though, he runs primarily 4-3, as most college coaches do. But he is a brilliant X and O guy, and has the same bend but do not break philosophy as BB.

#1 pepper johnson, i think he will be the new DC

#2 Romeo Crennel,

#3 Rob Ryan,

#4 Brian Stewart he was the cowboys DC in 2007 and 2008 and is a Special Assistant to the Defense for the eagles now

#5 Dave Campo

If we're going to hire someone from the outside, then Rob Ryan FTW. I saw him and Mangini mixing it up on the sidelines a ton this past season. Apparently, that's what BB was missing from his coaching staff. Plus, he knows defense and has been in the system before.

If we're going to hire someone from the outside, then Rob Ryan FTW. I saw him and Mangini mixing it up on the sidelines a ton this past season. Apparently, that's what BB was missing from his coaching staff. Plus, he knows defense and has been in the system before.
Rob Ryan has a job. With Mangini. I don't know how long his contract is for but last year was YEAR ONE so it likely has a few years left. Now - what do you think the odds are that Mangini will give permission for Ryan to leave for the same job to go to Belichick ?

There's more chance we'll trade our Brady for their Brady than Mangini letting Ryan walk over to Foxboro.

The best defensive performance I saw all year was what Cleveland did against Pittsburgh. I was impressed.

I don't know how Holmgren coming to Cleveland will affect the coaching staff. Ryan's under contract as far as I know, and it's a lateral move. But if Cleveland dumps him in a shakeup I'd be all for giving him a strong look. He is feisty enough, for sure.

The best defensive performance I saw all year was what Cleveland did against Pittsburgh. I was impressed.

I don't know how Holmgren coming to Cleveland will affect the coaching staff. Ryan's under contract as far as I know, and it's a lateral move. But if Cleveland dumps him in a shakeup I'd be all for giving him a strong look. He is feisty enough, for sure.

Early reports make it seem more likely that the offensive coordinator would go and the D.C. would stay than that the D.C. Would go. Holmgren does want to see west coast offense, so that could be the shakeup.

I'm all for Rob Ryan. It would be interesting to see what kind of dynamic he'll add into the Jets/Pats rivalry if that were to happen.

I'm all for Rob Ryan. It would be interesting to see what kind of dynamic he'll add into the Jets/Pats rivalry if that were to happen.

yes, but only in the media since Shrex could talk and Rob couldnt

Nice read from Chris Gasper on the search for a new DC:

Patriots defensive coordinator shouldn't be an inside job - Christopher Gasper's Blog - Boston sports news - Boston.com

Patricia sounds like a smart guy, but I'd like someone with more experience and more ability to stand up to BB. Maybe **** Jauron with Patricia as his understudy?
How do you know Patricia won't stand up to Belichick ? All evidence says that Mangina and McDaniels did and they were just as young and followed the same path. In fact, based on Belichick talking about assistant coaches disagreeing with him earlier in the week it's reasonable to guess that if he picks Patricia that Patricia, indeed, already has shown that he will disagree with Belichick and challenge him.

Continually elevating guys that are in their mid 30s to coordinator jobs is a real crap shoot. Hitting on Mangini and McDaniels was lightning in a bottle. With such a limited background it must be hard to try something different. Love to see Jauron or really anyone with a more aggressive mindset to the defense.

Continually elevating guys that are in their mid 30s to coordinator jobs is a real crap shoot. Hitting on Mangini and McDaniels was lightning in a bottle. With such a limited background it must be hard to try something different. Love to see Jauron or really anyone with a more aggressive mindset to the defense.

Mangini was overrated in his time year. Got to a point where BB took away playcalling late in the year. He did have LB issues but the D complained that he didnt make adjustments quick enough and felt that he wasn't aggressive with his playcalling

Last edited:
Someone brought up Will Muschamp in another thread, who is also good friends with Belichick. I love Muschamp's energy, enthusiasm, and schemes. He seems like a really dedicated guy to his job and it appears that his players love playing for him. I love the way his defense came out and played vs Bama in the BCS Champ setting the tone early against McElroy.

However, the chance of this happening is slim to none. Why would Muschamp come here to be a coordinator? He just turned down a head coaching job at Tennessee. He's the coach in waiting at Texas, which is a great school to recruit at. I can't see him giving up the chance of becoming a college head coach to be a coordinator in NE. But stranger things have happened.

As for Saban, not a chance in hell. The guy has won two national championships, and has already had a head coaching gig in the pros. Why would he leave Alabama, where he's been extremely successful and has plenty of resources, to come to the NFL to be a coordinator? If he returned to the NFL, it would be as a head coach. It's like saying Urban Meyer would leave Florida to become our offensive coordinator. Why would he do that? If he wanted to, he could probably get a head coaching job in the NFL. Guys that leave the college game to become coordinators are guys who aren't high profile, like Jeff Jagodzinski.

Muschamp isn't coming here. If it's an unknown it'll be someone that Belichick knows through someone else. Like when he hired the little known Saban from Toledo because he knew him through his dad. It's going to be Patricia but there's a longshot that one of Belichick's buddies knows someone. I think the writing was on the wall when Pees went upstairs and Patricia wore the red sweatshirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back