PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So let's say we wanted a new DC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some names to consider, all controversial:

1. Al Groh. Former Virginia and NY Jets HC, former BB and BP assistant, including DC with the Giants (1991) and the Pats (1993-1996, during which time we drafted Chris Slade and Willie McGinest). Fired by Virginia this offseason. Currently looking at the Georgia Tech DC job, and possibly being rumored to join Parcells in Miami as DC.

2. **** Jauron. Currently unemployed. Former Chicago and Buffalo HC, and DC for Tom Coughlin from 1995-1998. Very cerebral coach, who has ties to BB and who BB has openly lauded at times. Not successful as a HC, but Buffalo had a solid defense. No obvious 3-4 experience.

3. Paul Pasqualani. Fired today as Miami DC. Former Syracuse HC. Has experience with the 3-4.

4. Clancy Pendergast. Currently DC at Kansas City, may be out if Romeo Crennel signs on. Was DC at Arizona, where he developed Karlos Dansby and Darnell Dockett. Could be a good signing if we want to lure Dansby in FA. Has experience with a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense. Was fired by Arizona, and KC's defense hasn't exactly shut teams down this season. Whether it's the personnel or the schemes is the question.

5. Tim Lewis. Currently DB coach at Seattle, which has just hired a new HC, so he could be available. Was former DC for Pittsburgh (prior to **** LeBeau) and the Giants, but was fired by both. Has 3-4 and 4-3 experience.

6. Bob Sutton. Currently Jets LB coach, former HC at army. Has 3-4 experience. Currently rumored to be the leading candidate for DC for the NY Giants.

7. Pepper Johnson. Currently DL coach for the Pats, has 3-4 experience. Rumored to be a contender for the NY Giants DC opening.

I'm sure I could come up with some more names, but that's a start. Any of them sound interesting? Certainly Al Groh or **** Jauron would bring more independence and fresh ideas to the DC position than Dean Pees.

How do we know that since we don't know a damn thing about Dean or his relationship with Bill?

Why would Al, who was abyssmal as a DC here before BB rejoined the mix and who didn't get that job back when they migrated to NY, or a guy with no 3-4 experience or a couple of guys who just got fired for running lousy 3-4's or anyone else on that short list have any fresh ideas Bill would be interested in let alone be independent enough to take on his new boss...

I want Ernest Zampesie on O and Herm Edwards on D.

Guys, trust me when I tell you that the next DC will be Matt Patricia. He's one of the smartest guys in that building and the players love him.

Last edited:
make chucky the OC/assistant HC.......he can take on alot of responsibility that would allow BB to work with Pepper Johnson as a DC....then bring in Bobby Hamilton as DL coach

I don't follow college football, but I imagine there might be a DC and an OC in college who wouldn't mind makin the jump to the Senior Circuit.

My short list has **** Jauron, Mike Zimmer, Romeo Crennel, as dc, I could also see Jim bates, John fox if let go, for Oc, I would love to see Mike Martz, heck I might settle for the madden champion someone with a innovative mind. I think what's missing the most and a previous poster hit the nail on the head is a intense emotional coach who challenges his units will get in the face of anybody not afraid to grab bradys face mask and say what the heck was that when he makes a mistake. Put the fear of god in players if they fumble. We don't see alot of emotion from players because I know that no matter how professional these athletes are. They like to be challenged they like to be fired up. Then it translates on the field, give me a oc with the personality of a rus Grimm or John gruden and a brain of martz and I'll shoe you a perfectly executed offense.

Bobby Bowden and he could bring his DC out of retirement.....lmao

Al Groh says he would be interested in the Miami DC job.

Al Groh says he would be interested in the Miami DC job.

That's a damn shame. He is, realistically, the only guy on the street that I would replace Pees with.

Well, I take that back. I think I'll hop on the bandwagon with the rest of the chicken little posters around here and get on "Capers Train". Bring back Dom Capers and his ultra-bland schemes! :rolleyes:

We need to bring in Marty Schottenheimer! Time for some Marty ball lets pound the rock.

What we need is talent

--replace OLB who cannot rush

--repleace 3-4 END who cannot stop the run

--Replace ILB who can play the RUN

Give Pees a chance.

I don't think that Dean Pees is the problem with the defense, like many others have stated, I think our problems stem from a lack of talent. There were probably 3-4 reliable defensive starters on the team this year, which seems more like a characteristic of a team like the Browns or Bucs than a playoff team, yet the defense still managed to finish 11th in yards allowed and 5th in points allowed.

That seems like a job well done to me.

How about Perry Fewell?...He could help with the D when we play Buffalo twice next year :)

Let's go for a guy who has actually had a big hand in running a successful defense, not some BB waterboy (yes he actually promoted his waterboy to DC one year, lol). Get the Cowboy's LB coach or something, someone who knows SOMETHING about rushing the passer or mixing up the defense. None of this "bend by giving them a free 10 yards anytime they want it, but don't break" stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes