Welcome to PatsFans.com

So last night I saw...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mabeyitstrue, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This great movie:YouTube - Flash of Genius - Trailer

It got me thinking, why people choose corporations over government and what leads them to that conclusion.

I will always choose my government over corporations, why?

My government never forgot about me but the corporations did, my government for all the bad it does, when I needed it the most they where there, corporations could care less.

When I was 11 I died, was playing in my back yard with some other kids and we where stacking tent poles to see how high we could get them, well what we didn't know or even think about was the power line, it was at about 15-18feet off the ground it should of been 25-30and should of ben coverd up but thats a diffrent story.

To make a long story short, my mom had no insuance and was living paycheck to paycheck so we didn't have much to begin with. I got out of the hospital a few days later($16,000 for a few days and this was 1994) the power company had 12 lawyers and we went to get one but no one in town would take the case cause of this. They took a lean against my mother and we lost our apartment and we became homeless, the power company never even tryed to make it right they didn't care one bit to them it was water under the bridge.

When we had NOTHING, the only ones that would help us was the government not a church not a corporation not the people but the government.

I want to know why you choose what you choose? what happend in your life to make you think that corporations are better then government or the other way around?

The best line in the moive was somthing like this, its not about the money its about doing the right thing. Its about choosing our morals over our checkbooks about choosing our people over our greed.

Looking forward to the replys=)
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Corporations give people the illusion of choice.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How is it an "illusion"?
  4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

When a handful of ever-conglomerating entities control all of the earth's resources, you have no choice. You also don't have the same ability to influence decisions as with government (which people are too stupid and apathetic to take hold of).
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I disagree. Consumers clearly have tremendous power to influence corporate decisions from what they make to what they charge to corporate responsiblity. Overwhelmingly you will see corporations react to consumers, not vice-versa.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  6. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

You mean the same consumers that react based on what the media tells them? who owns the media again?
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't remember the media telling me to buy a PC over a Mac or a Honda over a Volkswagen or anything like that.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Clearly it was someone else's fault that people went 15-20' in the air, and played with powerlines.

Anyhow, the point of this thread is dumb. Why is it a choice between a corporation or the government? How about C, none of the above.
  9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

For once we agree. But as soon as one's role diminishes, the other will rise and fill the power vacuum. I'd take the one we can control over the one we cannot.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Only through revolution will the people control this government.

You seem to think that the people can control one entity, and not the other. I think the people have little control over either, in the manner with which you're generally speaking. On an everyday level, an individual has more control over a corporation by way of the daily choices he or she makes. Don't like Exxon, go to Hess. Don't like Nike, buy Reebok (I understand the limitation this represents with respect to the grander power you're referring to). That's not the case when it comes to government. Elections happen every 4-6 years, and even then, your singular vote holds little weight in the grand scheme of things, and offers no guarantees of satisfaction even if your personal selection is the winner. Has anything changed since republicans and democrats swapped absolute power? Nope.

The worst portion of all this, is the combination of corporate, and political power, and it's ramifications on the average citizen.
  11. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I agree that we don't currently have any control over the government, mainly because I believe that consumerism is inversely related to stupidity. But I can still vote for Ralph Nader or Bernie Sanders or any number of better candidates than the crap we have now, and while that doesn't make an impact individually right away, it's much harder to support or even find a company that has any of our interests at heart. It's literally coke or pepsi in the vast majority of places, and just as political power tends to corrupt, so does corporate power.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

And you can still choose to find an alternative to the corporations you don't like. Furthermore, corporations survive on revenues. Revenues they have to earn, whereas a government survives on fees it imposes. Generally speaking, I think they are similar in a lot of ways, with a slight edge in a individual persons ability to control corps over government, since their choices have a more instant result. i.e. lost revenue to said corporation, by way of spending your dollars somewhere else.
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The government gives away too much though because of lack of oversight. I gave an example last week of a church that gets funding to provide three meals a day for 168 homeless people. There are actually no more than 20 homeless people eating there. Granted, those 20, for whatever reason are homeless and I have no problem with the government having a program for them. I don't think it's right or efficient to provide unnecessary services for people that do not need them. Those recourses surely could be used in other areas where they are really needed.
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't choose either one. I'm a balance person; but I do acknowledge that uncontrolled government is massively, exponentially more efficient at causing trouble than uncontrolled corporations.

btw as to the central question of this movie (as I see it from the clip) If Ford wanted to give me $30 million for my windshield wiper idea and be legally entitled to take credit for inventing it themselves I'd have but one question:

Where do I sign?
  15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

And yet, advertising is one of the biggest industries with hundreds of billions spent on it. Corporations clearly find value in all that spending. It's not just advertising, anyone remember how we were all tricked into going to Iraq?

Media works. Of course, it's more comforting to you to think you decided everything in your life, since the alternative is a bit more sobering.
  16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

In my opinion both systems screw people, just in different ways.

A corporation will everything it can to take your money and not help you, if it can without backlash. Corporations are like legal-entity psychopaths and sociopaths.

Government is for the people, but can be wasteful since the incentive to minimize cost is less than in a corporation.

As an individual though, I'd much rather trust key aspects of my life to a government, than to a corporation. Whether it be a bank, a doctor, or anyone else involved in a key part of your life, the corporation will screw you over as much as it can.
  17. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ya because codes and regulations has nothing to do with it right? are you retared?

Its called Negligence,there are codes and regulations for a reason dip****, if the line was ment to be at 25-30 feet in the air and it was at 15-18 where is the problem there smart guy? You can do simple math right?

Oh and these people where kids, they were 8 to 11 all three of us. You can say we where stupid and we should not of been doing that but we where KIDS and kids do stupid things, don't you have kids RW? god damn your a twit
    think before you speak........

Wow good arguement, really insightful and well laid out.........
  18. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So you pick Money over Morals?
  19. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And who's falut is this? your's and mines, we need to stop thinking that you have to be a doctor or a lawyer to run for congress and we need to get the little man back in there, need to stop thinking this is a popularty contest and start being an idea contest.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I bought this DVD a couple months ago, and was a bit disappointed. It wasn't that great of a movie, although I did enjoy the analogy he made in court when an expert for the defense said "all you did was take circuits and transistors and arrange them in a certain order - you didn't actually invent anything."

So the main character took (I think it was) A Tale of Two Cities and said "all Charles Dickens did was take words that already existed and arrange them in a certain order."

Or something to that effect.