PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So it appears that the Pats got a low 1st high 2nd pick in Cannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and it appears BB spent 2 third round picks on running backs he could have gotten much later in the draft. Ya just never know...

Maybe you could have gotten those running backs later according to Mel Kiper's evaluations but the only assessment that counts is the one made by BB. I've learned to ignore Mel Kiper and all his wannabees who are trotted out annually as draft experts. Their reactions to the McCourty selection last year tell you everything you need to know. Of course, BB makes mistakes but I will take my chances with his crystal ball over yours or anyone else's 99 times out of 100.

The OL got a major upgrade if he and Solder both meet their potential. And is suddenly very young.

Globe story this morning.

Patriots draftee Cannon calls on higher power - The Boston Globe

So now most of the team is "young" on average, with only a few key old guys left. And the only unit that is more old than young is the DL, given who the starters are likely to be. Quite a transformation.

It's a heartwarming story. I hope Cannon gets healthy first and foremost. Once he does, he could turn into a real force for us on the offensive line.

Really?????

It was the draft experts who had McCourty as a late first or early second. It was most posters who didn't have him on the radar, and criticized the pick after it was made.

I suspect that Ridley will be a fine addition. However, there is litle reason to think that he would not have been available at our next pick. Of course, since Belichick was all ready to execute the trade with Oakland (trading away our next 2 picks), Belichick was not planning another pick until the fifth, so he reached for Ridley.

. Their reactions to the McCourty selection last year tell you everything you need to know.

So it appears that the Pats got a low 1st high 2nd pick in Cannon.

Globe story this morning.

Patriots draftee Cannon calls on higher power - The Boston Globe

You're about 9 days behind the curve on that breaking news. ;)

But, yeah: Marcus "Howitzer" Cannon is clearly a Top 60 Talent.

I won't be surprised to see Cannon starting at some point this coming season.

Neither would I.

The young recover quickly, and athletes ~ yes, folks, this guy IS spry, despite his size!! ~ recover even faster. :cool:

The ravages of chemo on the average person, and especially on older people- yes that takes quite a bit out of you, but we are talking about a young man in great shape. We're talking about an athlete, whose diagnosis is a benign mass so the chemo treatment is most probably mild.

Indeed.

As you say, we're only making educated guesses, but those who generally take the time and care to investigate and analyze seem to be much more optimistic on his chances of making a substantial contribution this year.

Frankly, I think most folks are going to be SHOCKED at how rapidly he recovers.

In fact, I'll bet he's with us on Opening Day. :eek:

At the rate the NFL CBA talks are going...opening day may be in November....:eek:

Really?????

I suspect that Ridley will be a fine addition. However, there is litle reason to think that he would not have been available at our next pick. Of course, since Belichick was all ready to execute the trade with Oakland (trading away our next 2 picks), Belichick was not planning another pick until the fifth, so he reached for Ridley.

This makes zero sense. Unless you know every other team's board you have no idea whether Ridley would be available or not.

This argument drive me crazy.

Just because Kiper and his ilk say you could get those guys later in the draft doesn't make it true. It only takes one other team who values the player like you do (e.g., if the Giants liked Ridley and picked him right after the Pats' third round pick) for you to lose a valuable player because you were hoping you could get your guy much later in the draft.

Beyond that, once you are out of the first round (or, arguably even in it), all that matters is you get guys you like. Did it really matter that Deion Branch might have been had for a 3rd? Or that Vollmer could have been snagged in the 4th?

Just take guys you think can contribute to your team and leave all the hand wringing about where they should have fallen to the couch potatoes.

You're about 9 days behind the curve on that breaking news. ;)

The article was published this morning, which is what I'm highlighting for the Board.

Prognosis on Cannon is good....

From Boston sports news and blogs - Boston.com

"Cannon’s prognosis is very good; he is scheduled for three more chemo treatments, with the last scheduled for June 29. A memo given to all 32 NFL teams after his diagnosis put his chances of recovery at 90 percent.

But he seems hopeful that he won’t need all four rounds, happily noting that in the days since his first, the mass has gotten significantly smaller and “mushy.’’ The bone aches that nurses told him he’d experience a few days after that first treatment never came; neither did the nausea or any of the other side effects common to chemotherapy."

:rocker:

Yeah and it appears BB spent 2 third round picks on running backs he could have gotten much later in the draft. Ya just never know...

Don't know how you reach this conclusion, Vereen was one of the top rated backs in this class and the footage i have seen of him shows a player who can step in and contribute significantly immediately. He may not have a better year than Ingram but i would bet he has a longer and more productive career than him. RB was a definite need with taylor and morris both gone and Faulk seriously considering retirement, and it looks like Belichik has replaced both Taylor and Morris with these picks.

We hear the griping every year about Belichik taking players too high, e.g..Mankins, but imo the patriots have a much better idea of how other teams have them rated and whether or not they will still be there when they pick, I think they believed both Solder and I-Dowling would be gone if they traded down so they took them where they were, and i think the same is true with Vereen. Where Mel Kiper has them is irrelevant, all that matters is where the Patriots have prospects rated and whether or not they become pro's worthy of those choices, and while it's never exact and they miss on their share of picks the overall record is excellent and they have a roster loaded with their picks.

Hopefully he doesn't need all the stages of chemo that way he would return faster

The ravages of chemo on the average person, and especially on older people- yes that takes quite a bit out of you, but we are talking about a young man in great shape. We're talking about an athlete, whose diagnosis is a benign mass so the chemo treatment is most probably mild.

From the article: Cannon’s prognosis is very good; he is scheduled for three more chemo treatments, with the last scheduled for June 29. A memo given to all 32 NFL teams after his diagnosis put his chances of recovery at 90 percent.

But he seems hopeful that he won’t need all four rounds, happily noting that in the days since his first, the mass has gotten significantly smaller and “mushy.’’ The bone aches that nurses told him he’d experience a few days after that first treatment never came; neither did the nausea or any of the other side effects common to chemotherapy.

Which RB's would you have preferred they draft? Ones that they had rated lower (such as Ingram) just to satisfy popular opinion?

The issue is value not choice of player.

By your type of analysis, we might ahve drafted Smith in the 3rd instead of Ridley. It is likely that there was no TE that Belichick preferred.

The open question is whether Belichick got value at 73 in the drafting of Ridley. As I have said before, this was great reach for a player that would likely been there at 92 and perhaps 125. However, since Belichick was already committed to trading those picks, Ridley became the right choice at 73. There was no one else that belichick wanted at 73. Personally, I think that Belichick's decision worked out because Cannon was still there later. There were several reasonable guards available at 73.

Which RB's would you have preferred they draft? Ones that they had rated lower (such as Ingram) just to satisfy popular opinion?

The issue is value not choice of player.

By your type of analysis, we might ahve drafted Smith in the 3rd instead of Ridley. It is likely that there was no TE that Belichick preferred.

The open question is whether Belichick got value at 73 in the drafting of Ridley. As I have said before, this was great reach for a player that would likely been there at 92 and perhaps 125. However, since Belichick was already committed to trading those picks, Ridley became the right choice at 73. There was no one else that belichick wanted at 73. Personally, I think that Belichick's decision worked out because Cannon was still there later. There were several reasonable guards available at 73.

How do you know that Ridley would have been available at 92 or 125? Sure Kiper says so but if one other NFL team loves him than he's not available at those spots.

From the article: Cannon’s prognosis is very good; he is scheduled for three more chemo treatments, with the last scheduled for June 29. A memo given to all 32 NFL teams after his diagnosis put his chances of recovery at 90 percent.

But he seems hopeful that he won’t need all four rounds, happily noting that in the days since his first, the mass has gotten significantly smaller and “mushy.’’ The bone aches that nurses told him he’d experience a few days after that first treatment never came; neither did the nausea or any of the other side effects common to chemotherapy.

That is one of the factors I am basing my educated guess on, namely that Cannon will be part of training camp, on the roster, and starting at some point in the season.

People can't talk about Belichick getting great value and also ignore it when Belichick doesn't get that value. It's trying to play both sides of the argument. If something's a reach, just admit it's a reach. It's not as if that's the end of the world. It's one data point among many.

People can't talk about Belichick getting great value and also ignore it when Belichick doesn't get that value. It's trying to play both sides of the argument. If something's a reach, just admit it's a reach. It's not as if that's the end of the world. It's one data point among many.

Since we don't know their board the only way to claim whether it was a "reach" or not is performance. Right now Brace and Butler look like "reaches," but Vollmer looks like he was more than worth it, and he was called a "reach" by pretty much everyone, he wasn't even invited to the Cobine.

Wasn't Logan Mankins a "reach?"

How do you know that Ridley would have been available at 92 or 125? Sure Kiper says so but if one other NFL team loves him than he's not available at those spots.

He has no idea, Ridley could've been gone by the next pick for all we know. He's just making an argument with a terrible foundation that many people love to make.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back