PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So is the new found offensive balance (compared to 2007)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of balance in 2007 is overstated. The Pats passed 56.5% of the time. If you compare that to other years in the Brady era, there isn't a sizable of a difference for many years. In fact, the Pats passed more in 2002 (60.5% of the time) than 2007. Here are the breakdown of passing percentage in the Brady years:

2001 - 50.4%
2002 - 60.5%
2003 - 53.2%
2004 - 48%
2005 - 56.2%
2006 - 51.4%
2007 - 56.5%
2008 - 52.7%

Belichick is always about doing what is best to win. If it is to air the ball out, that is what he will do. If it is to pound the ball on the ground, that is what he will do. I don't see that changing. I think since 2006, the defense has needed the offense to carry them. So far this year, it hasn't been the case so the Pats have not needed the offense to carry them.

Also, the Pats did air it out last weekend. Brady threw down the field several times against the Falcons, the difference between last weekend and 2007 is that those plays were being made on a consistent basis in 2007 and weren't last weekend.

C. based on the game plan for the team they play that week .
yes, with the qualifier that the game plan also changes with changes in available personnel.

We all accept this for defenses, why it is different for offenses?

The lack of balance in 2007 is overstated. The Pats passed 56.5% of the time. If you compare that to other years in the Brady era, there isn't a sizable of a difference for many years. In fact, the Pats passed more in 2002 (60.5% of the time) than 2007. Here are the breakdown of passing percentage in the Brady years:

2001 - 50.4%
2002 - 60.5%
2003 - 53.2%
2004 - 48%
2005 - 56.2%
2006 - 51.4%
2007 - 56.5%
2008 - 52.7%

Belichick is always about doing what is best to win. If it is to air the ball out, that is what he will do. If it is to pound the ball on the ground, that is what he will do. I don't see that changing. I think since 2006, the defense has needed the offense to carry them. So far this year, it hasn't been the case so the Pats have not needed the offense to carry them.

Also, the Pats did air it out last weekend. Brady threw down the field several times against the Falcons, the difference between last weekend and 2007 is that those plays were being made on a consistent basis in 2007 and weren't last weekend.

The one thing I would point out is the Pats were number #2 or #3 in defense in 2006 and #4 in 2007.

In 2007, the Pats were 4th in yardage (274 ypg) and 4th in scoring (274 points).

I would point out the Giants were 7th in yards for 2007 and 21st in scoring.

In the playoffs, the defense gave up 20/12/17 points. That's championchip quality defense. The 2 4th qtr TD's (SB XLII) certainly hurt, just like the 2 4th qtr TD's in SB (XXXVI).

"Balance" on offense is one of those nonsensical concepts promoted by idiot pundit.

The only other concept that compares in stupidity is "defense wins championchips".

The one thing I would point out is the Pats were number #2 or #3 in defense in 2006 and #4 in 2007.

In 2007, the Pats were 4th in yardage (274 ypg) and 4th in scoring (274 points).

I would point out the Giants were 7th in yards for 2007 and 21st in scoring.

In the playoffs, the defense gave up 20/12/17 points. That's championchip quality defense. The 2 4th qtr TD's (SB XLII) certainly hurt, just like the 2 4th qtr TD's in SB (XXXVI).

"Balance" on offense is one of those nonsensical concepts promoted by idiot pundit.

The only other concept that compares in stupidity is "defense wins championchips".

The 2007 defense number is skewed since in so many games the Pats were up by 2-3 TDs by halftime and opposing offenses were far more predictable because they were keeping catch up. The 2006 number is legit though.

I actually subscribe to the defense win championships way of thinking. Not at a superficial level. I just think defense means so much more in the playoffs since you are facing the best teams in the league and, for the most part, the refs are more laxed in their officiating which benefits the defense. That is why for the most part the Super Bowl winner has a great defense even if the offense isn't a top offense.

The 2007 defense number is skewed since in so many games the Pats were up by 2-3 TDs by halftime and opposing offenses were far more predictable because they were keeping catch up. The 2006 number is legit though.

I actually subscribe to the defense win championships way of thinking. Not at a superficial level. I just think defense means so much more in the playoffs since you are facing the best teams in the league and, for the most part, the refs are more laxed in their officiating which benefits the defense. That is why for the most part the Super Bowl winner has a great defense even if the offense isn't a top offense.

The defense has to perform. Look at the Colts in 2006 and 2007. However, last year is an example of my point. Absent R'berger's heroics, the Steelers defense put up a historic collapse. That great defense was overrun.

Also, I don't know if anyone caught it on the opening night, Al Micheals noted that Harrison said his interception was due to his mistake. He was actually suppose to blitz but mistakenly fell back in coverage.

For SB XXXLI, we gave 2 4th qtr TD's

For SB XXXLIII we gave up 29 points AND a late game tying TD.

The defense has to perform. Look at the Colts in 2006 and 2007. However, last year is an example of my point. Absent R'berger's heroics, the Steelers defense put up a historic collapse. That great defense was overrun.

Also, I don't know if anyone caught it on the opening night, Al Micheals noted that Harrison said his interception was due to his mistake. He was actually suppose to blitz but mistakenly fell back in coverage.

For SB XXXLI, we gave 2 4th qtr TD's

For SB XXXLIII we gave up 29 points AND a late game tying TD.

I think you can point to individual Super Bowls where that is the case (for example the Pats/Panthers Super Bowl was a tale of quarters with the first and third quarters being defensive battles and the second and fourth quarters being offensive battles. But overall, defense rules in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back