Welcome to PatsFans.com

So is Dont'a Hightower getting reps as an 'edge rusher' in nickel?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Shockt327, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -2

I can't help but ask for a couple of reason...

First, I've seen plenty of YouTube cut ups of Alabama's D; where Hightower did indeed move into the strong side DE role when they went into Nickel. He looked good. Especially with Upshaw on the other end. I was hoping Jones and Hightower could create a similar dynamic in NE...

Second, because I really can't help but be concerned about that LDE position in Nickel (as well as base). We just never found a true starter, IMO. We tried putting Deaderick out there at times. I know Nink got a ton of reps at Nickel. Anderson did too, mostly later in the year. But it just seems like we never found our guy. I know Fanene can be used there, too. But I see him as being a DT really. They'd still need to rotate, either way. So, just curious. Haven't really heard anything about Hightower taking reps in that role, or if he has, specifically how he did....
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +874 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Psst...see the thread discussing Bedard's claim that Chandler Jones is the RDE:
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...d-chandler-jones-ready-full-time-starter.html
  3. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 0 / -2

Also, didn't Deaderick mainly play LDE last year, not RDE? Carter played mostly RDE, with Anderson at LDE in pass rushing situations, until Carter got hurt and Anderson moved to RDE.

If Jones can indeed lock up the RDE position as Bedard suggests, that would leave Fanene/Deaderick able to split time between LDE and pass rushing DT duties, with RDE in pass rushing situations being covered by Bequette, Scott, o by Hightower or Ninko moving up from a LB position.
  4. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 1 / -0

I wouldn't expect it. They actually have a pretty good looking group of edge rushers now. I'm more interested in if he can beat out Carpenter and Fletcher for the subpackage LB job next to Mayo.
  5. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -2

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  6. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 0 / -2

Alen Dumonjic (who has provided analysis for Greg Bedard, among others) had an interesting read on Hightower this week:

What Does Dont'a Hightower's Versatility Bring to the Patriots' Defense? | Bleacher Report

FWIW, Dumonjic had an interesting article on the Tavon Wilson pick over 2 months ago, which was a really nice piece of analysis:

Patriots' Rookie Tavon Wilson: Breaking Down the Enigma of the 48th Pick | Bleacher Report

From all the training camp reports so far, Dumonjic's analysis of why the Wilson pick made sense was spot on. It will be interesting to see how his analysis of Hightower plays out.
  7. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -2

Yeah, I like the article. That perfectly describes the role that I want to see him in...

...but the author is just speculating. We really haven't had any reports of Hightower taking reps in this role (have we?). Have we heard anything about Hightower taking reps in pass rushing drills?
  8. BananaRepublican

BananaRepublican Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This was BADLY needed against Heath Miller last year. Not having a guy like Hightower cost them the game.
  9. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,296 / 15 / -11

Disable Jersey

No he was not getting those reps Friday
  10. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -2

Yeah, I thought not. I was there on Wednesday and I didn't see it either.
  11. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Excellent article on Wilson. We'll see how the kid develops. Thanks for sharing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.