PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So in the end, no linebackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacky Roberts

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Just goes to show that BB is the master of deception since LB's were all he gushed about last week. Great draft by the Pats, I wish opening day was tomorrow.

I think Mincey will be converted to OLB...

Yea, I cant wait for Preseason, were gonna have a nasty offense. They're were alot of undrafted LB's who played well in College. I'd imagine Belichik will bring a few into camp and try them out. Also maybe a trade for Donnie Edwards somehow?

Overall I liked the draft but no ILB was a surprise...... Also, I was seeing this as a strong defensive draft all along and we went top-heavy on offense.... Shows you how much I don't know.... Love the first 3 picks but really expected a McGarigle or Wilkerson or Parham today. Obviously they must feel OK at LB and DB and have plans there.....

I think they went against the grain. While teams took advantage of the strong defensive draft to take defensive players, the Patriots took advantage of this fact to steal offensive players who were being ignored, such as Maroney, Jackson, and so on.

might not have been misdirection

Jacky Roberts said:
Just goes to show that BB is the master of deception since LB's were all he gushed about last week. Great draft by the Pats, I wish opening day was tomorrow.

Maybe he really did love Carpenter and Greenway. Both were gone when the Pats were up. Ohter guys like Ryans and Jackson went before the Pats second round pick.

jaj18 said:
Yea, I cant wait for Preseason, were gonna have a nasty offense. They're were alot of undrafted LB's who played well in College. I'd imagine Belichik will bring a few into camp and try them out. Also maybe a trade for Donnie Edwards somehow?
I think what we are looking for is a young Linebacker..

shatch62 said:
Maybe he really did love Carpenter and Greenway. Both were gone when the Pats were up. Ohter guys like Ryans and Jackson went before the Pats second round pick.

I guess we'll never know. Obviously he seems Maroney as having a great impact that Lawson, which I agree with. Overall, its better to have rooks on offense than defense so my guess is they will address their holes in the FA market.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't get Javon Walker. He had injured malcontent written all over him.

NEM said:
Tully Banta Cain Tully Banta Cain

And Beisel will emerge.....IMO

I can see TBC and Claridge emerging, but not Beisel. He just sucks at football.

The lack of emphasis on the linebacker position was a surprise to me too. With that said I am pretty happy with our draft. I hate to think we might lose Graham next year given this draft and given he was a player we traded up for in the 1st round but I guess we can't win them all. I was even more surprised that our first two picks were underclassmen. Both appear to be good character guys. I just see a lot of potential with Maroney and Jackson. Hopefully they can come in and have an impact right away as we might need them to.

Last edited:
I think ultimately that this draft was a bit of a statement that Beisel and TBC have promise.

Remember that Beisel was new to the system and thrown into it full force. Very, very tough for an ILB to do.

Looks like guys like Hoyte & Parnham will be undrafted.

just to play devil's advocate, maybe the no linebackers thing is more a product of how to draft played out than any affirmation of Beisel et al. Gocong and Schlegal both went in the 3rd round before we picked, so was Hodge. I think that the people on our board who would have made good ILBers were just gone before we could get them.

That we took Mincey in the 6th means that BB and Pioli know we need some help at LB, but just didn't like the guys available higher up. I'm very pleased with the draft overall, but I worry about pretending that the Pats front office has control over how everything played out.

have Peter Boulware or Chris Claiborne signed with anyone?

On the flip side, with picks to spend in the later rounds, if Belioli REALLY wanted some of those players (e.g., Gocong), Belioli could have moved up to grab one of them.

primetime said:
I think they went against the grain. While teams took advantage of the strong defensive draft to take defensive players, the Patriots took advantage of this fact to steal offensive players who were being ignored, such as Maroney, Jackson, and so on.
Good read.

shatch62 said:

Ryans and Jackson are not 3-4 LB prospects. Carpenter and Greenway were the fit for us and, as posted, were already gone. Lawson was a fit but (apparently) not the guy we all hoped he was.

I'm shocked that we took as much O as we did. And the worst is that I'm not convinced that the O will be much better next year than it was this year.

rookBoston said:
And the worst is that I'm not convinced that the O will be much better next year than it was this year.

Please, explain.

two months ago, Kai Parham was the second rated ILB....now he's undrafted....worth a kick at the tires IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back