Welcome to PatsFans.com

So, how is your recovery going?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PromisedLand, Jun 19, 2008.

?

How are you doing at recovering from the SB loss?

1. Denial

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Anger

14 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Bargaining

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Depression

14 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Acceptance

84 vote(s)
    68.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Four plus months have passed since that devestating disappointment of a Super Bowl robbed us of immortality. But, time heals all. So, I'm just curious, how is your recovery going? Where do you currently sit on the famous "Five Stages of Grief" scale?

The stages are:
    1. Denial:
      • Example - "This can't be happening. That ball hit the ground! And how could the refs have missed that holding call on Seymour!"
    2. Anger:
      • Example - "Why me? It's not fair! There should be a rule against catching the ball against your helmet!"
    3. Bargaining:
      • Example - "18-1 is still a great accomplishment. Isn't it? We were 35 seconds from Perfection. That's pretty much the same as actual perfection, isn't it?"
    4. Depression:
      • Example - "I'm so sad, why bother with anything? I'm going to die . . . What's the point? I may as well go root for the Bruins..."
    5. Acceptance:
      • Example - "Wait until next year..."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kübler-Ross_model

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,718 / 33 / -57

No Jersey Selected

Acceptance at this point, although all five stages have hit me in the successive months following. But at this point, I've accepted the defeat and am trying to move on. It still hurts, but the joy of looking forward to next season has now outweighed the sorrow of last season's defeat.

3. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I said depression, but in reality I'm partway between there and acceptance.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Acceptance. It is what it is. And the 16-0 season and a SB appearance still add to the resume of this team, as much as we may hate it.

I'll never get over it though. I still replace the Tyree catch, the Samuel non catch, the almost sack and the almost miracle Moss catch at the end once in a while and it just grates at me.

5. Bertil

Bertil Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm going with "acceptance", at least until FB season actually starts. That's when I'll be able to fully guage how I feel. The Celtics really helped me get my mind off of it, especially lately. Their Championship will be a good "FU" to the haters...

Thanks Paul Pierce & Co!

6. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It actually sounds like you're still a little bit in Anger, Denial and Bargaining some of the time, too. That's part of the normal process of grief recovery, from what I've heard. It's not a linear process.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Damn :D

Now, when people throw "18-1" at me I calmly explain that's not a very good insult as it was a stunningly impressive accomplishment despite the "1".

8. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

While you were posting I was updating the examples in the original post - see "Bargaining" ... :D

9. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +257 / 5 / -1

When I read about Rodney's doing the intro for Tyree's book and saying that he was over the loss, I figured it was time for me to move on too. Also, Rodney put it in a way that helped when he said that the Giants could run that play (the Manning sack evasion and the Tyree helmet catch) a million times and not complete that pass again. That helped a lot.

10. tajapandu

tajapandu On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i had to drive for 3 hours by myself immediately following the game, so i went through all 5 stages on that drive.

11. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I will never be able to "accept" going 18-0 then losing the final game at the hands off a 86 yard comeback drive led by Eli Manning and ending with a wide open Plaxico Burress in the endzone.

It angers me. It depresses me. It confuses me.

Bottom line is Bill Belichick and Tom Brady were unable to win the biggest game of their lives. I have a hard time accepting that. And the fact we directly led to two back to back Manning championships is sickening.

The last two years of Pats football have ended in historic chokes.

Regardless, maybe #4 will take some of the bad taste out of my mouth. However I will not be one of those sobs who rehashes this subject over and over again, nor will I ever bring up actually. Only reason I'm talking about now is because there's a thread about it.

12. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Somewhere between acceptance and regret,especially when we could have done something no one else has twice. Win three championships in one year,and gone 19-0. It will get worse when training camp starts.

13. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,293 / 18 / -8

#3 Jersey

I understand where you're coming from, but, in the grand scheme of things, I still believe--and will believe, until I get some sort of evidence to the contrary--that had the Pats won the Super Bowl, it would have amounted to a Pyrrhic victory.

14. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Are you saying that a Pats victory would have generated so much backlash that the victory would not have been worth the collateral damage? If that's what you're saying, that's an interesting thought ... but I don't think I'm buying it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  15. thechris

thechris Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Honestly, I'm still in shock and pissed off. Yea, a perfect regular season and Brady breaking Peyton's record is nice. But the Pats were one game away from doing something that had never been done before and they blew it. Of course it doesn't help living in Dallas and having idiot Cowboy fans constantly bring it up.

16. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I was in acceptance fairly quickly. When the Giants went into Dallas and mandhandled that OL, I initially thought it was a fluke, but it turned out to be an omen. Then they went into Green Bay and absolutely dominated the Packers. How that game went to OT was beyond me. As for SB42, I knew the Pats wouldn't allow another 35pts and would concentrate on stopping the running game and Burress, daring Eli to beat them throwing to other guys. That's exactly what Eli did, even though it was only to the tune of 17 points, but that was enough. The same DL that manhandled Dallas showed up and manhandled the Pats, allowing the Giants to keep the Pats from blowing up on the scoreboard. Poop happens.

Regards,
    Chris

17. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,293 / 18 / -8

#3 Jersey

Yes--and, specifically, further sanctions by Goodell.

18. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +423 / 14 / -2

#12 Jersey

I went from Pissed Off to Shock to Acceptance and now I no longer care.
    What's the point in dwelling on the past? A new season is upon us. :rocker:

19. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I don't think ANYTHING that he could have done would have overshadowed being the only team to go 19-0, along with all those scoring records and 4 Super Bowl victories in 7 years. Maybe I'm wrong.

20. PromisedLand

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Stage 6 - Apathy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.