So how is the cap enforced, anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
One thing that occurred to me today as that I actually have no idea how the cap is enforced.

Say a team is currently $5mil over the cap. March 10th hits and they are still over. What happens? Does the NFL start voiding contracts until the team is under (and if so, how are those chosen)? Is the team forbidden from completing any player transactions? Are they fined? What stops a team from intentionally going over the cap temporarily to continue to hold onto players (that they might otherwise cut to get under the cap) in order to buy time to work out some other contract?

I assume capmaster @Miguel knows all :) :)

I was wondering the same thing the other day. This is what I found on the Internet. I have absolutely no idea whether it is accurate and hope someone will correct me if it is wrong.

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

So...what happens if a team goes over the Salary Cap?

Answer: The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

If a team releases or trades a player and the signing bonus acceleration puts a team over the Salary Cap, the team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap. However, they may not sign any players until there is room to do so under the Salary Cap.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.

I was wondering the same thing the other day. This is what I found on the Internet. I have absolutely no idea whether it is accurate and hope someone will correct me if it is wrong.

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

So...what happens if a team goes over the Salary Cap?

Answer: The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

If a team releases or trades a player and the signing bonus acceleration puts a team over the Salary Cap, the team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap. However, they may not sign any players until there is room to do so under the Salary Cap.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.
Yes you can go over. If the Patriots make no transactions before 3/10 they will be over.

One thing that occurred to me today as that I actually have no idea how the cap is enforced.

Say a team is currently $5mil over the cap. March 10th hits and they are still over. What happens? Does the NFL start voiding contracts until the team is under (and if so, how are those chosen)? Is the team forbidden from completing any player transactions? Are they fined? What stops a team from intentionally going over the cap temporarily to continue to hold onto players (that they might otherwise cut to get under the cap) in order to buy time to work out some other contract?

I assume capmaster @Miguel knows all :) :)
I believe I have read that they start voiding contracts in order of most recent signed, until you are under.

Starting on 4PM 3/10 Teams have to be under their adjusted salary cap number for the rest of the 2015 League Year.

There is a statement in the CBA that states teams have to be under the cap at all times during the League Year.

Like to remind everyone that the NFL considers today as being in the 2014 League Year

Starting on 4PM 3/10 Teams have to be under their adjusted salary cap number for the rest of the 2015 League Year.

Understood.

However, let's say Team X is currently over the cap by $10mil. They sit on their hands and do nothing -- don't cut anyone, don't sign anyone. 4pm on 10 March rolls around and they are still $10mil over. What happens? How does the league force them to get to the number?

Fines and loss of draft picks and everyone calls us cheaters.

If it's another team they reduce their cap # for the next season and reject any contract that comes close to not being in compliance. ;)

as mentioned above I'm pretty sure the league would void contracts

Understood.

However, let's say Team X is currently over the cap by $10mil. They sit on their hands and do nothing -- don't cut anyone, don't sign anyone. 4pm on 10 March rolls around and they are still $10mil over. What happens? How does the league force them to get to the number?

It just does not happen.

Article 13
Section 2. Application of the Salary Cap: No Club may have a Team Salary that exceeds
the Salary Cap

Do not know how your scenario would be addressed. Just know that I have never see it happen. You can look for the enforcement at
https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows....eral/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf

now that I think about it, let's say you were in a position where you regretted a most recent signing ---- like, the guy turns out to be a chump, or there's some new management/coaching staff that doesn't like the guy.
cut him and acceleration saddles you with a bunch of dead money --- could you deliverately stay over the cap and have the league do your dirty work with no acceleration to worry about, as the deal is voided?

now that I think about it, let's say you were in a position where you regretted a most recent signing ---- like, the guy turns out to be a chump, or there's some new management/coaching staff that doesn't like the guy.
cut him and acceleration saddles you with a bunch of dead money --- could you deliverately stay over the cap and have the league do your dirty work with no acceleration to worry about, as the deal is voided?
no. the money was paid, so it accelerates.

no. the money was paid, so it accelerates.

yeah, but if it accelerates, that just creates more cap which defeats teh whole purpose of voiding it

why would they void a contract which creates negative cap?

Then Kraft would not be invited on Jerry Jones' party bus. :)
It is arbitrary, like all rules. (Disagree? Quick, tell me why a TD is not 5 points and FGs 2 points.) Why is it not violated willy-nilly? 32 guys say they won't and if, say Jerry Jones for example, does not then 31 guys decide what to do about it.

If he decides, "You are not the boss of me," and hands out $20 million dollar contracts like candy* then I assume the other owners decide to not play Dallas. If he says, "Ya'll caught me. I'm sorry," then I assume it is draft picks or something. (Technically he could "draft" everyone anyway, but then it goes back to the above, I guess.)

Why doesn't it happen? They are sane and/or force of habit. (The same reason the Man Show bit with strangers at the mall finding the wallet did not work. It was always returned with the twenty inside and honesty is not funny.)

*Who gives out candy willy-nilly? I mean besides child molesters.

4099538040_137b95fdde.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey