PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So how do we control the pass rush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is true but sizzle had 14 and nobody else had more than 6. Point being that this isn't some team like the 07 Giants the that had 4 or 5 guys capable of 10 sacks a season. Ravens only have 1

Philosophically, I think bumping up the protection works against the strengths of Brady and this talented group of receivers. You want the receivers out making plays whenever possible.

Go with screens (especially my beloved WR screen), quick slants/ins (but one-step type passes are too dangerous IMHO because they can be batted/deflected at the line) and of course, run the ball. Eschew the empty backfield, which so often allows defenders to tee off on Brady.

Last edited:
48 sacks, tied for third in the league looks pretty good. Pats had 40. Also led the league with 21 forced fumbles. (Pats 27th with 10).

0.5 sacks more /game than the "awful" NE pass rush........

Suggs had 3 monster games statistically....Pitt, SF, Indy....averaging 3 sacks and 2 FFs

The major fear BB will have vs Balt is the fumble issue , especially if it is Brady get popped all day. It will be interesting to see how conservative BB gets in deploying his RBs. Verses Pitt, BB opted to use Faulk, despite being his first game back from injury. BB sacrificed offensive output to protect Brady. Looking back, Faulk added nothing and in fact stifled the offense. We all know how BB trends towards aggressive....4th down attempts, pass first goal line approach, etc. So the question becomes, how far will BB deviate from his usual pedal to the metal approach. Emphasizing BJGE over Ridley is expected and trends conservative....but deploying Faulk and his pass blocking skills will scream that BB is scared of the Balt pass rush.
It is possible that BB will work the sideline passes because the safeties will have their hands full guarding the center of the field and our TEs. This will also limit the ballhawking opportunities of the D

Last edited:
Ridley has likely played himself into the doghouse at least temporarily, because of his fumbles.

BJGE is not a big play threat that would cause an aggressive team to honor the run.

Faulk's tank is empty. Tangentially, I see them motioning Gronk/Solder to the interior before Faulk gets significant snaps due to his pass protection ability.

Therefore, despite his shortcomings (pun intended) it's Woody time! :rocker:

Last edited:
This is going to be a hard fought game against the best all-round team in the AFC IMHO. Their defense is particularly strong in 3rd down and red zone situations, not that the Patriots are poor in these areas, but this is something to be mindful about. Their defense also contains 3 high motor game changers that I am sure we would be delighted to have playing for the patch. This may well be Ray-Ray's last opportunity for a SB berth and a ring, and I have seen few people more motivated or motivating than him, so I don't expect him or Tsizzle or Ed Reed to spare the horses. Furthermore they are not the only talents on the D so this is no cake walk.

On the offensive side they are not too shaky - other than at QB, depending on which Flacco turns up. Sometimes he reminds me of Sanchez with his lack of pocket awareness, poor reads and inaccurate throws, but even Sanchez can look golden in the playoffs, which means that our D cannot take him for granted. In fact I think the key to the game is ensuring that we get Flacco out of rhythm as early as possible and give our O maximum time to establish control. If the D from the Denver game can repeat. especially Spikes who had a monster game, limiting Rice as much as possible, and forcing 3rd and longs with Nink and Anderson off the edges I will be delighted.

Whether it will happen or not depends on how practiced and intense the D will be on the day. I hear the echo of another great passing O that stomped heavily on Denver in the playoffs several years ago, who came to Foxborough without punting in the playoffs and they laid an egg. I believe that Wilfork will be pitching "this is for MHK" to the utmost, which should avoid repeating that history.

I am not dismissing the importance of the O-line, it is indeed critical to success, especially in helping TB get into his rhythm as you cant run the hurry-up offense without that being established. If Vollmer can play this weekend I think we have a great opportunity for us to load the O-line until Brady is in the groove.

However in my mind the D is where we need to shine. If we can keep the Ravens O off and the D on the field, we can tire them out with the hurry up and pressure Flacco into mediocrity.

Last edited:
This. I feel like the no-huddle has been our bread and butter all year. Defenses really don't have an answer.

IMO this is why home field advantage was huge to get this year for the playoffs, even more so than usual.

Mangina made a good point and i think the ratbirds will try and do what he said. He said that the way you fool Brady is to not get in set position which means the defense will be walking around the line of scrimmage and to not show him a set look, he said that they this to them(the pats) when he was there and he said it confused Brady. The way you counter that is by what all you smart fans are saying which is.... the hurry up. You let them dance around and get tired while your running the spread and hurry up. He said this yesterday on 1st and 10 with tebows bff Skip Bayless. Also i expect Spikes to be huge in this game. He has fresh legs and loves to hit. Seems like Spikes bring the Cox nastiness to the D which other seem to feed off of. Make the ratbirds play your game dont play theres and you will win. GO PATS!!!!:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Its times like this that I'm glad we drafted Solder. Hope Vollmer is back as well.

IMO Miller/Dumerville are as good with the pass rush from the outside as Suggs/whoever, the OL was up to the task of handling them. Ngata is an excellent player however with our guards we can control him in the pass rush.

As always the off the charts football IQ of Reed and Lewis is the issue. Brady making good decisions and avoiding Ints. will be IT.

I can't see the Ravens winning unless they are +2 in To's. If Brady isn't fooled by Lewis/Reed we will win possibly going away.

If the pass rush is so good why was Yates never sacked?

If the pass rush is so good why was Yates never sacked?

They were looking to contain the Texans running game and forcing Yeats to throw into 7-8 guys in coverage, with the resulting INTS.

IMO Miller/Dumerville are as good with the pass rush from the outside as Suggs/whoever

Yes but Suggs is a superior player to Miller/Dumerville.

Ngata is an excellent player however with our guards we can control him in the pass rush.

It's all a matter of how the Pats will architect their blocking scheme. Somebody will draw a double team and someone will have a 1:1 matchup. Use a TE/T on Suggs and G/C on Ngata and that allows Lewis to blitz up the middle. Pats need to play very well 1:1.

As always the off the charts football IQ of Reed and Lewis is the issue. Brady making good decisions and avoiding Ints. will be IT.

I can't see the Ravens winning unless they are +2 in To's. If Brady isn't fooled by Lewis/Reed we will win possibly going away.

BAL has been incredible forcing TOs this year- especially Suggs.

BAL has been incredible forcing TOs this year- especially Suggs.

Disagree here, the Ravens are +2 with 26 takeaways and 24 giveaways, the Pats are +17 with 34 takeaways and 17 giveaways.

They were looking to contain the Texans running game and forcing Yeats to throw into 7-8 guys in coverage, with the resulting INTS.

But not even one sack? In 35 pass attempts? Was that how many he had?

Disagree here, the Ravens are +2 with 26 takeaways and 24 giveaways, the Pats are +17 with 34 takeaways and 17 giveaways.

BAL is 2nd in forced fumbles and top 10 in takaways per game. Not too shabby at all.

Pats are 4th which is incredible.

BAL is 2nd in forced fumbles and top 10 in takaways per game. Not too shabby at all.

Pats are 4th which is incredible.

Thats what you reap when you play Cleveland 2x.

:)

Mangina made a good point and i think the ratbirds will try and do what he said. He said that the way you fool Brady is to not get in set position which means the defense will be walking around the line of scrimmage and to not show him a set look, he said that they this to them(the pats) when he was there and he said it confused Brady. The way you counter that is by what all you smart fans are saying which is.... the hurry up. You let them dance around and get tired while your running the spread and hurry up. He said this yesterday on 1st and 10 with tebows bff Skip Bayless. Also i expect Spikes to be huge in this game. He has fresh legs and loves to hit. Seems like Spikes bring the Cox nastiness to the D which other seem to feed off of. Make the ratbirds play your game dont play theres and you will win. GO PATS!!!!:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

If the Ravens are walking around they will get blown up on run plays and if they stay settled Brady reads the defense. Getting faced with an exotic defense just means you go no huddle...I don't see how the Ravens can consistently stop the Patriots. You go no huddle and sustain long drives early to wear out the older personnel on the Ravens D. With any luck you have the Ravens D with hands on their hips by halftime as the Patriots D will make enough stops to keep the offense on the field pressuring the Ravens D.

It's going to be track meet. MacAlister, Starks, Rolle, Woodson and the shutdown corners are not on the team anymore. Reed will have to help on Gronkowski or Hernandez or be over the top to prevent the big play. Ladarious Webb only gets a Pro Bowl due to the poor strength of the quarterbacks he plays against.

I am still seeing this as a blowout. Joe Flacco can't win the game and Rice will be effectively taken out of the game. And frankly if given the opportunity I hope BB gives this team a white washing.

I remember that, they said they heard the calls on film.

Yeah. They learned that trick from the Giants.

I really hope we changed our line calls and play codes and such.

The offensive line needs to block well and get help from the running backs in he event of a blitz. Isn't this the usual wisdom? Unless of course the Raven's pass rush is so formidable that not even God could stop it. The only time I saw that was in 1985 - 1986, the Chicago Bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes