Welcome to PatsFans.com

So how do we control the pass rush?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Luke Skywelker, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke Skywelker

Luke Skywelker Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If there is anything we've learned, the analysts have learned, my cat has learned, the only way to truly neutralize Tom Brady is by sicking the dogs on him, getting in his face and making him anxious, in particular if you can do it up the middle. It's a game changer and it has to start early, otherwise TB will pick apart just about anyone. In the 2009 playoff game with Balt, that pressure lead to 3 sacks, 3 Brady INTs and 1 Brady lost fumble. Clearly that can't happen in this game. One common themes after our last 3 playoff losses is a lot of MF'ing of the Oline afterwards.

So this begs the question, is this NE team built to stop the Balt pass rush? Who has to perform, what strategies are employed and is this Oline ready/built to stop?

Baltimore is essentially 3rd in the NFL in team sacks at 48, so clearly a big part of their defensive repertoire. TSuggs is the leader on that team with 14. Although this Baltimore team had no sacks last week against a much less stealth OLine and Suggs has had only 1 sack in his last 4 games(age?). The next two on their sack leaders list come off the Dline in Ngata and McPhee.

And for those analysts out there that do like to use that 2009 game as ammo to say that Baltimore is going to win this one, look at this measly crew:

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
    T. Brady 23/42 154 2 3

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
    K. Faulk 14 52 0 9
    S. Morris 1 9 0 9
    L. Maroney 1 2 0 2
    F. Taylor 2 1 0 2

Receiving REC YDS TD LG
    R. Moss 5 48 0 19
    J. Edelman 6 44 2 24
    K. Faulk 6 37 0 18
    S. Morris 3 15 0 8
    S. Aiken 1 5 0 5
    B. Watson 1 3 0 3
    C. Baker 1 2 0 2

If Julian Edelman is basically our leading receiver and Kevin Faulk our leading rusher - can we really use this as any kind of benchmark whatsoever?

2. tatepatsfan

tatepatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

In my opinion, the facts that we have our two astoundingly good TE's and now possess a functional running game should greatly improve our pass protection. Solder and Vollmer (if he goes) weren't here two years ago. Waters is probably an upgrade over Neal. Also very important, we didn't have Welker in that game.

In my opinion, and I think many share it, the key for the Ravens is exactly what you've highlighted - getting to Brady early and often. I think we can limit this with an effective use of quick plays to the outside, whether they be throws or runs. Also, not on every play of course, but they'll probably use Faulk a bit since he's such a good blocker, and will probably at least have Gronk and Hernandez chip the OLBs before they run their routes.

3. condon84

condon84 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +382 / 8 / -7

Go no-huddle from the get-go and spread them out. What I've noticed is the faster the pace our offense go, the less effective the pass rush gets from defenses. Don't let the defense settle in.

4. randomk1

randomk1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

This. I feel like the no-huddle has been our bread and butter all year. Defenses really don't have an answer.

5. Ivan

Ivan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,777 / 37 / -73

#75 Jersey

1) Brady correctly seeing what the Ravens are going to do and making pre snap reads to counter it.

2) Run the ball. Regardless of how effective it is early they have to punch the ravens in the mouth and that cannot be done in pass protection on every down. The Ravens are a good defense but they can be run on if a team sticks with it, and you have to run to keep them somewhat honest.

3) Great play from the OL. I think this is the best OL they have fielded during the Brady years. Solder is better in pass protection than Vollmer and Waters is a great OG, and a significant upgrade over neal, who was beat to death his last few years. Koppen is a better C than Connolly or wendell but he always struggled against the huge OL and that's Baltimore in particular. Mankins is the best and Light has had his best year in many. i love this group.

4) Using the TE's to force the LB's to cover and stick it to them when they choose to blitz.

6. sarge

sarge Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

+10 on the no huddle.

It atleast appears to me( not sure if the stats would back this up) that Brady certainly comes under more pressure when they go ball control.

Atleast for the eye test, this offense seems to move significantly better in the hurry up/no huddle then they do when they go ball control.

Don't give them a chance to breath.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

In addition to what's been said, playing at Gillette would seem to help.

Suggs, Ngata, Redding have combined for 18 sacks at home and 6 on the road.

Maybe they just weren't up for the road games and they will be in the playoffs. Or maybe the crowd noise helps. Regardless, their sack totals are noticeably different at home vs. on the road.

8. Marqui

Marqui In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +352 / 17 / -6

Maybe this year because Vollmer was gimpy but not last year. Last year Vollmer shut down a lot of good pass rushers and was a 2nd team All-pro.

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm neither impressed nor worried about this defense... or ours. I think it will be our defense that causes the problems this time. The combination of the no-huddle and the quick-outlet threats Brady has will have the Ravens holding their knees by the end of the first quarter. By then, there should be a 21-point lead built. Keep it up in the second quarter, and it's game over by the half. This team is not as good as they or ESPN dorks pretend they are. Everyone's enamored by Lewis' antics and "crazy guy" voice. They couldn't even get to a rookie QB behind an OK O-line and were lucky throughout that game with stupid turnovers the Texans gave them.

10. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +501 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Jacoby Jones was MVP of that game. He might be the dumbest player in football.

11. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +130 / 10 / -9

#87 Jersey

Our OL should keep Brady up-right for the most part. We have Two Pro Bowl Guards and a Tackle...ie Mankins - Waters - Light. They should negate Suggs, Ngata, Redding. Nobdy get's by Super Solder who will be a Pro Bowler for years to come.:cool:

12. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,025 / 30 / -34

this problem has already been taken care of......the ravens pass rush is lousy on the road.....

48 sacks total
    35 at home
    13 away

case closed.......the pats just need to bring their A game and this one will be comfortable by halftime

13. Double TE

Double TE The Best in the World PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -2

#91 Jersey

zero sacks vs. Yates...whatever.

14. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -3

#24 Jersey

No Patriot turnovers will be the key .......

Hope Tom is on his game....

15. RIpats88

RIpats88 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +202 / 3 / -2

yup, I agree. we need to go to the hurry up early and often. it alows brady/the offense to dictate the tempo of the game and not the oppositions defense.

our O'line is really IMO the most important key to us being successful against the Ravens next sunday. if you give brady the time he needs to throw. he is going to carve any defense apart...but when you look to our last 3 playoff losses. they all come down to our OL failing brady and him never getting the offense into a rhythm.

all the mediots/radio talking heads keep pointing to the fact that Denver is an average team....whether they are or not, they had a D-line that has created havoc all season for opposing QB's(and a large reason they made the playoffs) and Brady was kept standing all game..we need another performance from them(and everyone for that matter) like that if we are to beat the ravens.

16. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,680 / 13 / -7

#24 Jersey

This week it's "Denver wasn't any good."

Last week they were the team of destiny, with divine intervention and God himself coming into play.

We all expected this.

A win would shut everyone up, and that's the only way to do it.

Everything else is totally irrelevant.

17. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,680 / 13 / -7

#24 Jersey

I agree that the best way to keep BAL's defense off-guard is to run the hurry-up and deliver quick throws (which in my opinion, Brady seemed to do a great job of Saturday) with super-quick releases.

Another would obviously be to chip our TE's against their LB's.

Reads before the snap will of course be very key as usual.

Baltimore will be ready for some of this, but not all of it (in my opinion).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  18. coolguy

coolguy Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Use the hurry up offense to hopefully tire the ravens defense out. Than all the o-line has to do is block their asses off.

19. i82much

i82much Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kind of funny but (i'm a ravens fan) some of our fans are saying the best approach to containing the TE's is to have the LB's try to disrupt them at the line of scrimmage to keep them from getting downfield, give the interior pass rush time to do its thing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  20. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +108 / 4 / -0

edelman had our two TDs in that game? i remember he was one of the few players who came to play that day, but cmon.....the ravens are in for a RUDE surprise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.