PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, How Do We Beat Miami?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch their game against Jax. Did anyone else? How did Jax make Miami revert to form after a pretty good run? It seems that Jax went to their passing game (heard Garrard had a good game). What if we kept up the spread offense that we used successfully at the end of the Detroit game? Any word on Jason Taylor (heard he went out with a wrist injury). If he can't go, that would be huge for us - he is always after Brady.

I didn't get to watch their game against Jax. Did anyone else? How did Jax make Miami revert to form after a pretty good run? It seems that Jax went to their passing game (heard Garrard had a good game). What if we kept up the spread offense that we used successfully at the end of the Detroit game? Any word on Jason Taylor (heard he went out with a wrist injury). If he can't go, that would be huge for us - he is always after Brady.
I saw some of it. Keys for the game that I picked up were:

1. Jacksonville's defense was tough, especially against the run. However, Ronnie Brown didn't play. His status should come out tomorrow.

2. Joey looked more like "Detroit Joey" than Miami Joey. His stats weren't really bad, but you never felt like he'd get them back in the game.

3. Garrard is mobile and he bought himself time by scrambling, something Tom doesn't do.

4. Jax ran on them almost at will.

There was concern during halftime about Jason Taylor being hurt, but he played the whole second half, Only 3 tackles for the game but 1.5 sacks.

How to play them? Jax won by outplaying them in all facets of the game. No single thing stood out, possible exception of Garrard. I don't know what else to say.

1.) make pass protection a priority
2.) Brady must be patient and not try to force passes (something he has been known to do against Miami)

Last edited:
1 Protect Brady

2 Balance ,and control the clock

3 Ben Watson holds on to the ball

4 Reche Caldwell runs the right routes..

We should win 28-10

I would like to see a good old fashion field position battle and mistake free game (like the old days). Play the Phins straight up and eventually they will make mistakes, to play this way the Pats will have to key on all the things that have tripped them up lately:
1) No turnovers, force Joey to march 70-80 yards on each drive.
2) No penalties, those holding calls are drive killers.
3) Stop the run, force Joey to pass.
4) Patience on offense, take what they give us.

Even though the game is in Miami for some reason I think of the "Bruschi Snow Game". This game was only 3-0 when he picked off Feidler, yet at no time did I feel like they were going to lose.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20031207_MIA@NE

This game will be higher scoring but I would still like to see the same kind of intensity and mistake free football.

When you're playing an inferior team you can usually win by not turning the ball over and not getting a bunch of penalties.

When you're playing an inferior team you can usually win by not turning the ball over and not getting a bunch of penalties.

Hmmm, I think this was the game plan last week, but it didn't work out too well. On the off chance that we are unable to implement this strategey, what do you suggest? I am surprised that Jax was able to run on Miami - I thought they had a good run defense. After watching the highlights of the Pats game, the RB screen was sure effective for us last week.

Hmmm, I think this was the game plan last week, but it didn't work out too well. On the off chance that we are unable to implement this strategey, what do you suggest? I am surprised that Jax was able to run on Miami - I thought they had a good run defense. After watching the highlights of the Pats game, the RB screen was sure effective for us last week.

It didn't work well because they didn't do it.

This team knows how to win.

Stop the run, don't give up any big plays, and create turnovers on defense.

Protect the ball, be efficient and balanced on offense, and when all else fails put the ball in Tom Brady's hands.

I saw some of it. Keys for the game that I picked up were:

1. Jacksonville's defense was tough, especially against the run. However, Ronnie Brown didn't play. His status should come out tomorrow.

2. Joey looked more like "Detroit Joey" than Miami Joey. His stats weren't really bad, but you never felt like he'd get them back in the game.

3. Garrard is mobile and he bought himself time by scrambling, something Tom doesn't do.

4. Jax ran on them almost at will.

There was concern during halftime about Jason Taylor being hurt, but he played the whole second half, Only 3 tackles for the game but 1.5 sacks.

How to play them? Jax won by outplaying them in all facets of the game. No single thing stood out, possible exception of Garrard. I don't know what else to say.

Wow, we literally saw the same game. I agree with all your observations. I thought Garrard's mobility was an important factor at times. To me, the Pats just need to play sound football the way the Jags did. On defense just make the tackles. On offense keep drives alive and limit the 3 and outs. Miami's D will wear down if they are on the field long enough.

It's simple and the schedule maker already has taken care of it for us. Play them on the road!

From what I learned about the Jax game, the Jags ran on Miami at will. Expect the Dolphins to load up the box to prevent a repeat performannce so I'm with the crew that says come out in the no huddle and try to grab a couple of scores lead. Then go back to the run game (or not if Maroney is not available).

Not to be a jackass, but...

You score more points than the Dolphins.

Doesn't matter to me how it's done, 0 turnovers or 7 turnovers.

With a low powered offense such as Miami, it will be turnovers generated by their D that gives them a short field and their best chance of scoring.

We should probably be prepared for Harrington to complete lots short-to-middle range passes against us - perhaps concede a few more yards on the ground than we might expect (with the LBer upheavel of recent weeks) and watch TB throw a few bad passes.

Statistically Miami rank in the top 7 in both pass and rush Defense so i expect a relatively low scoring game.

Simply put we have to make less mistakes than Miami, and have them happen in less crucial parts of the field.

17-13 Patriots

NM

Last edited:
To me, the key to beating Miami is controlling their pass rush and controlling Welker. He hurts us in so many ways. With Walter's high punts and, hopefully, our improved KO coverage, that should keep 2 facets of his game in check. With Furrey's success against us, I was really worried about Welker this week. The addition of Mickens will hopefully minimize his receiving ability. The #1 receivers I'm not worried about. It's the quick #3's, 2nd read guys, that have been killing us.
Interesting that Jax was able to run.

Last edited:
Alot of you have posted some great observations on how to beat us. From a Dolphin perspective I would say that the following need to be done

When Miami has the ball

LOT McIntosh is a weak link. You absolutely have to exploit that matchup in the passing game. Additionally, our line has trouble with good stunting lines so forget the straight ahead man to man approach and get some nice stunts working. Third I would unleash blitzes from all angles. Its another weakness of our line that we dont pick up every blitz. You should do this from the start of the game and hope to get in Harrington's head early. If you can cause him to throw a panic int like he's been prone to do you'll get up on us early and we all know you guys know how to play with a lead. Samuel should be able to contain Chambers especially since we dont have the line to hold up to deep passing routes developing. We tried to revisit that part of our passing game against the Jags and we ended up getting four sacks and two picks. We'll probably go back to the short and intermediate game. Our crossing routes have been effective lately and with your secondary kinda hurting I would be worried about Welker and Booker getting some free space on some pic plays. Booker has developed into Harrington's favorite target. I wouldnt worry too much about Mcmichael since he's not really a big part of our offense this year although he has the skills to have a big game if given the opportunity

Running wise you should shut us down. Morris got dinged up last week so you may be lucky eneough to be facing our thrid string RB Minor.

When the Patriots have the Ball

You'll need to use the pass to set up the run. You come at us running we'll shut you down quick. You make us guess and worry about the pass you'll be able to break Maroney occasionally. Dont use Dillon, go Maroney. You need his speed to maximize yardage when the opportunities present themselves.

Passing wise will determine the outcome IMO. I would go four wide alot with short to intermediate routes. Do not try to go deep because that will allow our pass rush to get to Brady and our secondary is dramatically improved from the last time we met (Jags killed us because of the size mismatches which you guys dont have) Mix in passes to the Tight Ends and running backs out of run formations since we have trouble covering them and you'll keep us guessing which will be key to moving the ball on us.

Special Teams

On defense just play bend but dont break. If you get us into field goal situations we're doomed. We have to score every time we're in the red zone because Mare is horrendous this year

Anyways, there's more stuff I could get into but that pretty much covers the majority of the game

By the way, how's Vrabel in the middle. I think he's much better outside than inside but I was interested in your guys takes. Also is Banta Cain as bad as i think he is or is he solid

Nice thought out post. Vrabel has played in the middle for the Pats in the past. He should be okay there. It's not his preferred position but he knows how to play it.

Keep your eye out for TBC. The Pats have developed him for a while now. He is adept at getting after the passer but I am not sure about his run stopping prowess. This will be his chance to shine as a starter so we'll see what he can do next week.

As for the Pats keys I think turnovers will be the key. So that means the OL must protect Brady so that he has time to hit his receivers. Brady has begun building some rapport with Caldwell but we need other guys to step up too. Ben Watson should be a good weapon for us against the Phins. I think we can get mismatches there with our tight ends.

A healthy Maroney would really help with running the football though. The Pats offense will be much more balanced and less predictable if they can gain 5-6 yards on first down consistently. Hitting up an overly aggressive Fins front with select screen passes I think will also help and make the Fins D think twice about overcommitting to rush the passer.

Alot of you have posted some great observations on how to beat us. From a Dolphin perspective I would say that the following need to be done

When Miami has the ball

LOT McIntosh is a weak link. You absolutely have to exploit that matchup in the passing game. Additionally, our line has trouble with good stunting lines so forget the straight ahead man to man approach and get some nice stunts working. Third I would unleash blitzes from all angles. Its another weakness of our line that we dont pick up every blitz. You should do this from the start of the game and hope to get in Harrington's head early. If you can cause him to throw a panic int like he's been prone to do you'll get up on us early and we all know you guys know how to play with a lead. Samuel should be able to contain Chambers especially since we dont have the line to hold up to deep passing routes developing. We tried to revisit that part of our passing game against the Jags and we ended up getting four sacks and two picks. We'll probably go back to the short and intermediate game. Our crossing routes have been effective lately and with your secondary kinda hurting I would be worried about Welker and Booker getting some free space on some pic plays. Booker has developed into Harrington's favorite target. I wouldnt worry too much about Mcmichael since he's not really a big part of our offense this year although he has the skills to have a big game if given the opportunity

Running wise you should shut us down. Morris got dinged up last week so you may be lucky eneough to be facing our thrid string RB Minor.

When the Patriots have the Ball

You'll need to use the pass to set up the run. You come at us running we'll shut you down quick. You make us guess and worry about the pass you'll be able to break Maroney occasionally. Dont use Dillon, go Maroney. You need his speed to maximize yardage when the opportunities present themselves.

Passing wise will determine the outcome IMO. I would go four wide alot with short to intermediate routes. Do not try to go deep because that will allow our pass rush to get to Brady and our secondary is dramatically improved from the last time we met (Jags killed us because of the size mismatches which you guys dont have) Mix in passes to the Tight Ends and running backs out of run formations since we have trouble covering them and you'll keep us guessing which will be key to moving the ball on us.

Special Teams

On defense just play bend but dont break. If you get us into field goal situations we're doomed. We have to score every time we're in the red zone because Mare is horrendous this year

Anyways, there's more stuff I could get into but that pretty much covers the majority of the game

By the way, how's Vrabel in the middle. I think he's much better outside than inside but I was interested in your guys takes. Also is Banta Cain as bad as i think he is or is he solid

Thank you, adamprez, for an insightful and respecful post. Some visitors just come to stir up trouble.

Good luck to your Dolphins. I hope they finish their season with a 3 game winning streak!

What's the deal w/ Ronnie Brown? Is out this week too? That would be huge if all they have is Harrington vs. our defense.

What's the deal w/ Ronnie Brown? Is out this week too? That would be huge if all they have is Harrington vs. our defense.

I heard Saban being uncommitted on whether he would play or not.
My guess is if the injury report comes out and he is listed as questionable
he will probably play. But if we get reports that he didn't practice some days
this week then he will probably be out. If he is questionable then they will
keep it secret until Sunday. Either way Belichick will prepare as if he will
play at 100%.

My thoughts on the Miami gameplan:

Judging by the first game I'd say that scoring a ton of points is not a priority at all.

The priority will be field position, time of possession, and the turnover battle.

If we win each of those battles, then you can rest assured that the final score will be in our favor.

In the first meeting it was shown that their offense can move the ball on our defense, but that mistakes are prone by that unit.

Our offense had a mucky day the first time around, with ball protection being key. I expect this again as the Miami defense is always a strength and ball security has not exactly been one of our offense's strong points this season.

It will be interesting to see if the 'run even when it's not overly effective' gameplan is used again, or if they shift to a more passing oriented offense.

I think we'll try to exploit their corners again like last time with outside passing lanes. I think that the running game will probably try to stay away from Thomas in the middle, though on paper you'd have to guess that our OL will have a good day against that DL..

A little rambling, but my thoughts are TOP, Turnovers, Fieldposition are the keys, moreso than the way they are accomplished. If the coaches call a gameplan that results in those three keys, then we will win. It might not be a blow out, but I think 20-10(ish) is realistic again if all three of those things happen.

That said, they'll have to play alot better than they did against Detroit to beat Miami in Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back