PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So How about Wide Receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like we've talked more about LB than WR. Obviously we need to draft 1 or 2 as we have just Branch, Caldwell, Brown, Bethel and Bam right now with the latter two being highly questionable. I actually like Brown to have some productivity left if we can just keep him off the field defensively.

But for the most part we have Branch and Caldwell with most looking at Troy as a #4 type guy. Personally I like Caldwell, he has some proving to do regarding being as tough as Givens but he has good size, decent speed, has been a #2 starter before and is two years removed from his ACL surgery.

So what do you guys want in the draft ?

Another Branch type to get two fast, quick guys on the field along with our two big TE and someone who could be the next Branch if we can't re-sign him ?

Another Givens type to have one fast, quick WR and one big one. If so he would compete with Caldwell as he is a Givens type, he just has to prove he can be up to the task.

Or would WR style would be fine with you as long as he is good as the coaching staff will find a way to best utilize his abilities.

Personally I would love another Branch type which is why I'm in love with Greg Jennings.

Anyway, where do you see us taking the various WR ?

I'll probably miss a few guys but I like :

First Round : Chad Jackson, Santonio Holmes.
Second Round : Greg Jennings, Sinorice Moss.
Third Round (first pick) : Maurice Stovall, Demetrius Williams, Travis Wilson.
Thrid Round (second pick) : Mike Hass, Derek Hagan, Jeff Webb.
Fourth Round (first pick) : Jason Avant, Brandon Williams, Martin Nance.
Fourth Round (second pick) : Hank Baskett, Will Blackmon, Brad Smith.

Now you guys correct me :)

Stovall if he is around in the 2nd round. Hass, I wouldn't wait pass 106 to take him. Baskett about the same. Avant is also a good 3rd or 4th rounder.

Then you have a couple of converted QB's in Robertson and Smith.

I wouldn't use a first rounder in this group. But one or two of the guys mentioned above would be great for this year.

I would like to take Greg Jennings in the second round and Avant with our early #4.

We would then have, in some order, Branch, Caldwell, Jennings, Avant, Brown, Bethel and Bam.

The first 4 would make the team, two bigger guys, two faster guys. Troy would almost certainly make the team and likely be the #3 or #4 guys while the rookies develop and Bethel/Bam would try to convince Belichick to keep 6 WR.

This would still leave us with #1, #3, #3, #4 and all the picks from #5 on to fill other needs.

BBFan,

I think you have underrated most of these prospects, except Chad Jackson, who I think is a big ?.

I really like Santonio Holmes. Other than that, I like Avant and Hagan, but I doubt either of them will be available by the time we pick in the 3rd. Stovall will be gone in the 2nd too and Blacmon - another guy I really like - will probably be gone before our 4th round pick. Travis Wilson is an interesting guy too.

bucky said:
I think you have underrated most of these prospects
I might be. I just have a feeling, though, that because the talent at WR is down this year that the WR are overrated in terms of where people think they'll go because they have to slot in some WR. It looks to me like, mostly, a bunch of big, slow guys.

Obviously we've been debating the issue of whether it makes sense to move up to snag Chad Jackson on the Main Forum. I'm feeling more and more like it does make sense and that BB might just surprise everyone and make the move.

I guess you have start with whether you believe that Jackson can step in this season as a #2 WR to start with - I believe he can do just that and could one day be a #1 WR.

Going from 21 to 14 (assuming the Eagles want to make the trade) requires finding an addition 300 points in draft value - that would require us giving up our higher 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick (from this year or next).

As much as I like 3rd & 4th round draft picks, I think that's a value move - especially when you consider the fact that #2 WRs are commanding $5 mil a season in Free Agency - and that we will only have to pay a fraction of that to Jackson - and that we have a VERY high need for a #2 WR this season.... and that the lower round WR picks can't be counted on for ANY production this season.

So assuming Jackson's available at #14 like so many think he will be - I can see BB contemplating a move to grab him, addressing an immediate need, and a future need (Jackson could be a future #1, providing insurance should Branch not re-sign) while saving money in the process compared to what the market is paying #2 WRs.

If a starting WR is not taken in the draft one has to hope that a trade is in the works - but all trades usually come with players with a downside as well.

The bottom line is that one way or another we need a starting caliber WR - FA hasn't provided that - the draft can but only with the top tier WRs - and trades have a lot of downside.

Make the trade if you can and go with Jackson. Its the unusual, upopular choice in this forum and is probably the last thing you'd expect BB to do... which is maybe why you SHOULD be expecting it!

i wouldnt mind us taking a WR in round 1 since its an area of need with the departure of Givens. And i like both Jackson and Santonio Holmes.

I take pronouncements about "the weakness of the wide-receiver class" with a grain of salt. Last year's stellar first rd crop produced Edwards, Williamson, Williams, M. Jones, Clayton and White. I think Stovall and G. Jennings match up with all those receivers very nicely. 40 speed is very overrated for WRs (Chad Johnson ran a 4.57). I think Stovall is a first rd player who will be drafted late. He has amazing talent if you watch some of his games. Brady Quinn threw so many terrible, inaccurate balls that Stovall made quick amazing adjustments on, especially on quick slants and crossing routes. He has fantastic hands, is remarkably acrobatic for a big man and is over 6'4''. With the Pats I think he could eventually become an all-pro #1 receiver and could impact immediately as a rookie due to his familiarity with the offense via Charlie. If the Pats take him in the first rd I would scratch my head and find it puzzling but would be content. My fear is that Pittsburgh will take him at #32 as another Stallworth. That would a big blow for the Pats. Roethlesberger and Stovall, with Ward on the other side, would be a matchup nightmare in a big game (Stovall will be better than Plaxico).

The drafting of a WR by the Pats is entirely dependent on Bethel Johnson. If he is not drinking the cool aid then we need a vertical threat as a #2 receiver. However if he's out of the BB doghouse and jiving with the program, then we need a super quick possession receiver.

Vertical threats in this draft a WR are solely lacking

Possession threats with super quickness. Avant is probably the best of them.

I would be happy with a WR corps of Branch, Caldwell, Brown and drafting Avant and Hass. I think that will get the job done, especially if Graham and Watson can run routes and not stay in to block too much.

I understand that better/faster/etc WRs can be had, but I think the team will do better overall by drafting Hass and Avant and using the higher draft picks on other positions.

Just my take.....

spacecrime said:
I would be happy with a WR corps of Branch, Caldwell, Brown and drafting Avant and Hass.

Just my take.....

I'm realistic about what to expect from WRs in any season. In most systems (though less so with the Pats) your #1 & #2 WRs get the bulk of receptions. Your #3 plays a significant role as well.

The Pats like to spread the ball a bit more and your 1,2,3, & 4 WRs all get a good number of passes thrown their way.

Branch is our clear #1. Brown had a solid #3 season last year but given his age I look at him as a #4.

Caldwell and whoever we draft I also classify as #4 WRs at best (I don;t expect much from rookie WRs outside of the top tier WRs in their first year)

So that, in my eyes, leaves us with a #1 WR - and a handful of #4 WRs. Not good if you ask me.

I didn't feel good about WR depth last year and was proven correct - though Branch and Givens carried the load. I feel that the WR corps has taken a step backwards now.

And while many are counting on our TEs to step in and fill the void, with limited downfield threats, defenders will be much more able to better cover the short pass routes - making things a lot tougher for Watson, Graham, Brown and a WR like Hass.

Santonio Holmes was on NFL Network last night and was quite impressive. He's finishing school despite about to be a millionaire and is taking care of his child so despite some supposed personality issues he seems quite mature. He comes across well too. I realize we don't spend a lot of resources on WR but Holmes and Branch together could really be something and Holmes would be a good replacement for Branch if the unfortunate happens and Deion leaves.

BTW, I should add that I may have inadvertently soured some people when I repeated what a Buckeye fan told me that he's aloof and tough to get along with. I asked on the Browns board and while someone remembered the post I referred to, they were basically unanimous that Holmes has had few character issues while at Ohio State and no serious ones. That rumor I seem to have spread appears to be false, sorry.

An underrated receiver that's not getting a lot of attention is Brandon Williams. He's a bit on the small side but he can do a lot of things. He's fast, quick and runs good routes. And he could could step right in and play special teams as he's as dangerous a return man as there is. He had outstanding stats in a run-happy offense. He also had great receiving games vs. a good Penn State secondary and vs. a solid Auburn D in the bowl game.

borisman said:
An underrated receiver that's not getting a lot of attention is Brandon Williams.
Yeah, I had him on my 4th round list. I like Greg Jennings better but Williams is interesting, if for nothing else but as a return man. And maybe he would develop as a WR too. We have lost our only explosive PR so that's something to keep in mind.

An underrated receiver that's not getting a lot of attention is Brandon Williams. He's a bit on the small side but he can do a lot of things. He's fast, quick and runs good routes. And he could could step right in and play special teams as he's as dangerous a return man as there is. He had outstanding stats in a run-happy offense. He also had great receiving games vs. a good Penn State secondary and vs. a solid Auburn D in the bowl game.

I have another name of the same mold:

Skyler Green

I've been waiting for this guy to enter the draft since his freshman year at LSU. He's just exciting to watch because he can really turn on the jets & he's shifty.

Last edited:
Travis Wilson and Greg Jennings are the two guys that impress me the most and that I would expect to fit in well here. I believe Holmes and Branch are very similiar WR, though Holmes is more of a home run threat. If we feel like we will not re-sign Branch than he could definitely be the pick. Jackson could also fit well, especially since we throw a lot of screens and he would have the chance to make plays with the ball in his hands. He is a willing blocker but he has had some past problems with fumbles. People will look at his 10 yards per catch last year and think he was not productive, but the year before when he wasn't in the spread offense he broke the UF record with 22 per catch. I would like to see him here, but only if Belichick thinks he could run crisper routes, since he tends to round them off slightly.

spacecrime said:
I would be happy with a WR corps of Branch, Caldwell, Brown and drafting Avant and Hass. I think that will get the job done, especially if Graham and Watson can run routes and not stay in to block too much.

I understand that better/faster/etc WRs can be had, but I think the team will do better overall by drafting Hass and Avant and using the higher draft picks on other positions.

Just my take.....
Both??? Even better..I like Hass...and Avant would make it even more sweeter..but would we take 2 fairly early??

Hear Hear!!

spacecrime said:

Just my take.....

Precisely my thought too...

Pats726 said:
Both??? Even better..I like Hass...and Avant would make it even more sweeter..but would we take 2 fairly early??
Why not? BB did that with LTs last year.

Does anyone else like Martin Nance? I remember people talking about him as a number one overall pick pre-injury...now the hype has died down, and he should be available with our first third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes