Welcome to PatsFans.com

So far

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

How's our new administration doing? Are they living up to their campaign promises? How's the Change-O-Meter?

I know it's still early but there's been a LOT happening in just this short time so imo there's enough data to make an early call valid.

Some people here will bash Obama no matter what he does and some here will continue their Obamagasims no matter what he does, but putting those presets aside if we can:D , how's he doing so far?

Here's my take: So far I'm disappointed.
  2. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Obama's administration is doing exactly what I thought he would do, only faster.

Most people seem to like him though:

RCP Poll Averages
    President Obama Job Approval

RCP Average
    Approve 60.8 Disapprove 30.2

We'll see how those numbers look in six months.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I'm certainly pleased....along with almost 70% of Americans.
  4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

hasn't fazed me either way............

solutions to domestic problems have been obvious and there is really no difference from the previous administration......just throw money at it

all this talk of change is bunk.........which is disappointing on one hand, but you know that adage about the evil you know and all

so far both the most impressive yet most disturbing tidbit is his calling out of teachers unions.........good from the fact that obama is approaching the idea that public service pension plans are going to drown everyone eventually.......bad from the standpoint that his other ideas on education severely intrude upon what is supposed to be municipal responsibility......
  5. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yes, exactly. "Disturbing" might be a better word; I'm disappointed in some of his cabinet appoints, even somewhat disturbed by a few.

I'm more "disturbed" about the lack of action on Illegal Immigrants than disappointed. I'm disturbed by the escalated Pakistan bombings. I'm disturbed by the fact he plans to help the Afghanis replant their destroyed poppy fields and assist them agriculturally in view of the fact there's a bill or whatever in the works to decrease aid to American farmers.

I'm anti drug war (it's been an expensive epic fail) but in view of the violence in Mexico it disturbs me that he's demoted the role of his new drug czar, ousting that position from the cabinet.

I find it disturbing that he professed single-payer hc yet didn't invite a single rep from that faction to the summit.

Lots of things that fly a bit under the radar I find to be a little bit unnerving. Certainly the 2nd amendment issue as well.

I dunno....and those weird gifts. Just a lot of things,some are little things, but...I dunno.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

While it is way too early to judge the presidency, you can judge what has happened so far, and I see nothing good.

The 2009 round of bailouts follows the 2008 which were disasterous. How in the name of Santa can you fix an economy brought down by excess debt by incurring more debt? Why hasn't GM been forced to file Ch 11 along with AIG and every other company that can't sustain itself. The concept of "Too Big to Fail" is false and anyone who remembers the breakup of Ma Bell knows it.

The selection of Timothy Geithner For Sec of Treasury is an insult to the intelligence of the People (which is very difficult to do). Talk about putting the fox in charge of the hen house. You thought the banks were being treated like they had nothing to do with this recession /depression? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Whoever is in charge of assembling the Cabinet and White house staff (I think it's Rahm) should be fired. What a disaster!
  7. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

There's a saying by Warren Buffet I heard recently: "capitalism without failure is like christianity without hell". So true. Mistakes by the current and last administrations - propping up failed-companies.
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

9. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Obama's Poll Numbers Are Falling to Earth - WSJ.com

This poll analysis touches on many things we've been saying. It's not particularly partisan which is also good. I'm always skeptical of something or someone who's so buried in a particular ideal or stance that they can't consider anything else but that stance.
  10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I was just going to post this link in response. LND beat me to it. 70% is definitely falling fast.

As for how he's doing. It's no secret Im disappointed. Many levels actually. 1) I don't like the direction he is trying to go at this point. It'd possibly more tolerable in placid times, but these are NOT them. I don't mind going left, but there is a serious sh*t that needs fixing first.

2) and it's a biggie for me. I CANNOT STAND people that talk out of both sides of their mouth. Obama HOODWINKED this entire country that he was all about HOPE and CHANGE. What a crock of BS.

Here is just one small (relatively insignificant) example. Presidential Signage.

watch THIS 1:26 VIDEO....... Hmmm, pretty persuasive stuff, particularly for the drive-by folks.

That was then, this is NOW. In one of his FIRST opportunities, what does he DO?

YOU GUESSED IT. (another broken promise) :rolleyes:

I hate charlatans, which he is fast becoming.
  11. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Agreed on both your points PNY and as someone mentioned, things are happening VERY fast. Yet beneath all the dog and pony show headlines lies some alarming trends and actions (or lack of actions).

It seems more and more Americans are at least taking notice and questioning just wth's going on.

It would be so refreshing to have a president who simply did what (s)he said he'd do and who says what he means and means what (s)he says.

He's looking more and more like the puppet. Or maybe the Man Who Would Be King. Either way the real Hope imo is that people aren't as sheepish as some would have us believe-thankfully. That said, you have to wonder just what's going to go down as a result.
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

So far I'm very happy with Obama, but I never expected him to be a flaming liberal. I wish he would have used the stimulus to create more government jobs, rather than give money to business in the hope that they will create jobs. I wish he would propose a more progressive income tax structure than he's proposed. I wish he would lift Don't Ask/Don't Tell. There are a number of things I'd like to see Obama do, but his budget invests heavily in infrastructure, education, and health care; he's taken Wall Street greeed directly to task and established pretty clearly that the current crisis is the fault of the government trusting Wall Street and being too uninvolved; and his foreign policy seems to be to aggressively pursue diplomacy. Overall, I'd give him a B+. A president is always a compromise, and Obama is a compromise that's to the left of center. It's the most we can hope for.
  13. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I stopped reading after this since it was obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

Obama Announced 600000 New Government Jobs
  14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +184 / 4 / -6

I can find no support for the 600,000 number. Surely, you have a link that explains where those jobs would be created and what kinds of jobs they are. Naturally, your link offers no details, but represents what I believe is a misinterpretation of Obama's statement that 80% of the jobs would be created in the private sector. The 20% not in the private sector are more than likely largely made up of contractors hired to repair infrastructure, but paid for by state and local governments with federal stimulus money. Otherwise, if Obama was going to bring in tens of thousands of people to a specific agency, don't you think Republicans would have already been harping on that? I think Fox News took you for a ride.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009