So far, teams not having success coming off the bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

supafly

Eff you, Shula
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
NFL teams are 3-9 so far this year coming off of the bye.

We aren't exactly dealing with the '85 Bears here in terms of talent, as the teams who have had the bye week aren't really setting the league on fire anyway...

It does beg the question though, as to whether or not the "new" practicing format of the CBA during the bye week is coming into play or not.

My guess is that we'll need a larger sample size, but 3 wins in 12 attempts this yr does make you wonder.

Personally, that stat doesn't really mean much without more context. Could it be that a lot of teams coming off bye weeks this year are meeting tougher competition.

The Cowboys lost to the Patriots after their bye. The Cowboys were in the position to win and lost in the last three minutes. The Pats are arguably the toughest game on the Cowboys schedule. I would be hard pressed to blame the bye week on that loss.

The Chargers lost to the Jets in a 1 PM East Coast game where historically, they have struggled at that time and on that coast. They actually outplayed the Jets in the first half only to faulter in the second half. Again, those facts make it hard to blame the bye week for their loss.

Those are the only two game after bye week losers I know off the top of my head. Both those games were most likely lost for other reasons than because those teams were coming off a bye week.

Those teams weren't the Patriots....

We needed this to get healthy

Personally, that stat doesn't really mean much without more context. Could it be that a lot of teams coming off bye weeks this year are meeting tougher competition.

The Cowboys lost to the Patriots after their bye. The Cowboys were in the position to win and lost in the last three minutes. The Pats are arguably the toughest game on the Cowboys schedule. I would be hard pressed to blame the bye week on that loss.

The Chargers lost to the Jets in a 1 PM East Coast game where historically, they have struggled at that time and on that coast. They actually outplayed the Jets in the first half only to faulter in the second half. Again, those facts make it hard to blame the bye week for their loss.

Those are the only two game after bye week losers I know off the top of my head. Both those games were most likely lost for other reasons than because those teams were coming off a bye week.

Yeah, I would certainly agree that there needs to be a larger sample size for sure; and the 2 examples of the 12 losses that you stated are good ones.

However, I still am curious to see if the new CBA practicing regulations are going to have any effect on this years' bye weeks; and the stat so far makes one wonder about the possibility even more.

In fairness to the question, I cannot remember off the top of my head our usual practice/rest schedule on bye weeks leading up to this yr. Maybe you do, Rob? I'm guessing it probably wasn't as different as I have it in my head.

Incompetent teams that only do well during the bye week:
L NYJ 24, MIA 6
L GB 24, STL 3
L CLE 6, SEA 3

Overmatched teams where the bye week is irrelevant:
L PIT 32, ARZ 20
L HOU 41, TEN 7

Had the game well in hand...even doing it away from home...before choking:
L NE 20, DAL 16
L NYJ 27, SD 21

The rest (3-2):
W BAL 29, HOU 14
L OAK 24, CLE 17
L PHI 20, WAS 13
W DEN 18, MIA 15
W KC 28, OAK 0

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the 3-9 record. It isn't like these games were all 50-50 propositions and the bye week was a major factor. The DAL/NE and SD/NYJ games were the most interesting and the bye teams were undone by gameplans (or lack thereof).

All things being equal, the bye week is a great time to get healthy and self-assess. As far as having an extra week of preparation for the next opponent, that aspect is probably overblown.

Those teams weren't the Patriots....

We needed this to get healthy

Yeah really, judging by the positive news that I heard on the practice front today (besides Fletcher), that worked out pretty well :)

The players on PUP all returned too, let's keep this trend rolling.

(Like you location status too, btw..Go Bucks ;) )

All things being equal, the bye week is a great time to get healthy and self-assess. As far as having an extra week of preparation for the next opponent, that aspect is probably overblown.

Nice look at the teams, Meta. Thanks.

I'd agree that the most positive factor is the rest/time to get healthy/assessment, and knowing BB all of those were addressed.

How many of these teams were on the road after the bye?

Teams coming off a bye are 3-9 this year | ProFootballTalk

The 12 teams with byes so far haven’t been good teams overall. They are 25-34 this year when they aren’t coming off a bye.

Looking deeper at the 12 games, not one team coming off a bye has suffered a significant upset. The Redskins lost to the Eagles and the Chargers lost to the Jets. Both of those games were toss ups. The Chiefs, on the other hand, pulled off an upset in Oakland this week coming off a bye.

The Falcons certainly aren’t worried about the trend: coach Mike Smith gave his team the entire bye week off.

We can reevaluate whether the reduced practice time has really made a difference in December when bye weeks end.

At this point, it just looks like statistical noise.

I'm rarely concerned about the form of opposition teams, especially after the bye. The Patriots will win or lose because of execution, not the bye.

I'm rarely concerned about the form of opposition teams, especially after the bye. The Patriots will win or lose because of execution, not the bye.

The Pats have won the last 8 years coming off the bye week and are 9-2 since 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes