PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So do Patriots play starters vs. Houston?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How will the Patriots handle the Houston game?

• Starters play like any other game

Votes: 62 45.3%
  • Some key starters don't play at all

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • Half-and-Half aka Pull A Painter

Votes: 31 22.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I figured, I'm the kind of guy who needs it all layed out right in front of me.

So, besides winning at MIA, they need 3 other things to happen then.

As far as them being worried, good, let them worry themselves all week wondering. It'll build some character for them.;)

(seriously though, that's what happens when you lose 5 in a row, you have to hope and worry in wk.17)

They must be wondering what happened because all the experts assured them that they were in if the Jags and Miami lost.

They came out of their game thinking, great, only the Jets stand in the way!

The way the playoff picture is unfolding -- specifically with the Jets/Bengals flexed to Sunday night -- I think that Pats will play their starters to win in Houston, thus locking up the #3 seed, which gives the Bengals nothing to play for, and hopefully helps the Jets to win and "earn" (very loosely using that word) the #6 seed and thus sets up a Sanchez @ NE round one game. I think this is in the best interest of the Patriots.

I think worst case scenario is anything involving Pitt coming to NE.

In fact, the only thing that makes me think the Pats perhaps lay down vs. Houston is that a Houston win pretty much shuts Pitt out of the playoffs, correct?

Nope - Sit em. Maybe a series or two.

I could care less about this game.

Here is a bigger question: I have certain superstitions that I employ before a game.

Do I use the superstitions this week for a meaningless game? Do I give my superstitions a week to recuperate and get ready for the playoffs?

Or do I sap them of their power by not using them in one week?

It does not matter who the Patriots play in the first round of the playoffs nearly as much as going in with momentum, confidence and the right frame of mind.
A win next week on the road against a good team is something they need.
They have not one won game on the road all year against a quality opponent.

It would be huge to for them to beat Houston.
That being said, they should only play healthy starters.

We were up 28-0 at the half, it wasnt like we needed to score more points and what was different about this 2nd half was that we were getting first downs and not having 3 and outs every possession

Yup, that 12 minute drive was a thing of beauty

It does not matter who the Patriots play in the first round of the playoffs nearly as much as going in with momentum, confidence and the right frame of mind.
A win next week on the road against a good team is something they need.
They have not one won game on the road all year against a quality opponent.

It would be huge to for them to beat Houston.
That being said, they should only play healthy starters.

Winning road games against quality opponents is rare regardless in the NFL. You only play 2 or 3 such road games a year.

We scored one TD in the 2nd half (which I had to miss). While that is in itself an improvement, I can scarcely construe that as a satisfactory answer to our persistent 2nd half woes.

I thought the 12 minute 4th quarter drive, relying mostly on Fred Taylor, was the drive of the year (even though it resulted in no points).

It was very encouraging to me that in the 4th quarter against a very physical opponent we could stuff it down their throats for 12 minutes. No tricks, just "DEAL with this, mutha, you CAN'T".

That had not happened this year and really hasn't happened much at all since 2004.

Hopefully we can run the ball a lot vs. the Texans. It keeps the pass rush off Tom, get sthe O-line psyched, gives the 1st playoff opponent a new look to be ready for, and gives us a balanced attack that can win in Indy and in San Diego.

I would think they'd want to play it like a regular game to try to secure the top seed. But what do I know?

From my research it looks to me that the Steelers would need 2 out of 3 of the following to happen, NOT ALL three.

1) Baltimore loss
2) Jets loss
3) Houston loss

Care to explain if this is incorrect and why UpStater? Thanks!

From my research it looks to me that the Steelers would need 2 out of 3 of the following to happen, NOT ALL three.

1) Baltimore loss
2) Jets loss
3) Houston loss

Actually, I guess Houston almost HAS to lose, or Pittsburgh is OUT (unless Baltimore, Denver, and the Jets ALL lose). BUT, if Houston does lose, than EITHER a Baltimore loss OR a Jets loss gets Pittsburgh in at the #6 seed. Correct?

Actually, I guess Houston almost HAS to lose, or Pittsburgh is OUT (unless Baltimore, Denver, and the Jets ALL lose). BUT, if Houston does lose, than EITHER a Baltimore loss OR a Jets loss gets Pittsburgh in at the #6 seed. Correct?

Nope. Here's why. You'd be in a 3 way tie with Broncos and Texans. Pitt and Texans are tied with conference record.

So, Broncos advance. Then Texans advance in the next round based on common opponents.

1) Baltimore loss
2) Jets loss
3) Houston loss

This would mean the Broncos and the team that won one of the three games goes ahead of Pitt.

This is what you really need: a 3 way tie between Baltimore, Pitt and Den or a 2 way tie with Den.

In other words, the Jets and Houston need to lose for the Steelers to get in. If one of those teams wins, Pitt is out no matter what.

The Broncos need Houston to win.

Last edited:
This would mean the Broncos and the team that won one of the three games goes ahead of Pitt.

This is what you really need: a 3 way tie between Baltimore, Pitt and Den or a 2 way tie with Den.

In other words, the Jets and Houston need to lose for the Steelers to get in. If one of those teams wins, Pitt is out no matter what.

The Broncos need Houston to win.

Right...which is why I corrected my first post. The easiest way into the playoffs for the Steelers (and it really isn't "easy") is for BOTH the Jets AND Texans to lose this week. If that happens, we're in. If Houston wins, we need Baltimore, Jets, AND Denver to ALL LOSE (this is by far the least likely scenerio) If the Jets win, we'd need Houston AND Baltimore to lose (this scenerio falls somewhere in the middle of the two above-mentioned in terms of probability, but certainly not very likely either).

Right...which is why I corrected my first post. The easiest way into the playoffs for the Steelers (and it really isn't "easy") is for BOTH the Jets AND Texans to lose this week. If that happens, we're in. If Houston wins, we need Baltimore, Jets, AND Denver to ALL LOSE (this is by far the least likely scenerio) If the Jets win, we'd need Houston AND Baltimore to lose (this scenerio falls somewhere in the middle of the two above-mentioned in terms of probability, but certainly not very likely either).

Correct. I assumed a Den win in the earlier scenario since they weren't listed under the things that must happen.

If Houston wins, then all other teams must lose so that the teams with the worst conference records (Houston and Pitt) grab the wild cards.

Why don't we lose in Houston---tank this game completely and rest everyone, get a higher draft position and let Cincy think about the 3 seed at 8 pm Sunday night. That way we get the 4 seed, play either the Jets or Broncs(5 seed) instead of the Ravens(who have the offense to give our D fits). I see no difference between 3 and 4 unless Cinci is a serious threat to get to the AFCCG which they clearly are not.

Last edited:
Why don't we lose in Houston---tank this game completely and rest everyone, get a higher draft position and let Cincy think about the 3 seed at 8 pm Sunday night. That way we get the 4 seed, play either the Jets or Broncs(5 seed) instead of the Ravens(who have the offense to give our D fits). I see no difference between 3 and 4 unless Cinci is a serious threat to get to the AFCCG which they clearly are not.

If Cincy loses on Sunday, we're the 3 seed and the Jets are the 5 seed, which means we don't play them regardless.

If Cincy wins and we lose, then the Jets are out and we'd play any of the other teams, but likely Baltimore if Balt beats Oakland.

We play Baltimore if they beat Oakland regardless of what happens in our game or any other game.

Bill Belichick is preparing for Baltimore this morning.

The more I think about this the more I think this is the route the team will go. Similar to how they treated that game against Miami a few years ago.

The more I think about this the more I think this is the route the team will go. Similar to how they treated that game against Miami a few years ago.

It can't happen though. No way to avoid Baltimore if they win. If they win, Patriots play Baltimore.

And, if Baltimore loses and the Patriots lose, the Pats might find themselves playing the Steelers instead.

It can't happen though. No way to avoid Baltimore if they win. If they win, Patriots play Baltimore.

And, if Baltimore loses and the Patriots lose, the Pats might find themselves playing the Steelers instead.

I'm not worried about Balto; I want to avoid Pitt. I didn't think there was any scenario where if Houston wins Pitt gets in the playoffs? I guess if Houston wins and Balto & NJY lose and Pitt wins Pitt gets in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back