PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, are we looking for cornerbacks?

Eric Rowe is really good, dont know how much upside he has but IMO he is gone in the mid of the third round, and if he does last seattle is one pick before us so we need extreme luck .

I really want him as our CB. He is superb tackler and he played 3 years played as safety, this is his first year at CB.
And i really like this Conley guy Mayo posted about. Two above 6,1 CBs

Eric Rowe is really good, dont know how much upside he has but IMO he is gone in the mid of the third round, and if he does last seattle is one pick before us so we need extreme luck .

I really want him as our CB. He is superb tackler and he played 3 years played as safety, this is his first year at CB.
And i really like this Conley guy Mayo posted about. Two above 6,1 CBs

Conley really intrigues me, but with all the CBs we've added I have a hard time seeing us bring in more than 2 in the draft, and he's going to be a project. But he's played DB before, and his athleticism and upside are very enticing.

Like you, I really like Eric Rowe. I think he's an ideal #2 CB, and he has safety versatility as well. It wouldn't necessarily take much to make a small move up ahead of Seattle if necessary, and with no #1 pick they are going to be more limited in their ability to move around.

BTW, Seahawksdraftblog had an interest article on who the Seahawks could possibly target at CB, though that was before they gave up their #1 pick for Jimmy Graham and signed Cary Williams to a reasonably big deal:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/wingspan-and-will-the-seahawks-go-cornerback-in-round-two

Penn State's Adrian Amos ran 4.39 apparently at his pro day which is quite the improvement on his 4.56 at the combine.

Penn State's Adrian Amos ran 4.39 apparently at his pro day which is quite the improvement on his 4.56 at the combine.

The Seahawks showed some interest in Amos as a CB, IIRC.

The Seahawks showed some interest in Amos as a CB, IIRC.

Judging by Seahawks twitter, he's one of the few that match up to their requirements for CBs. I think there's a requirement for 32" arms. Running 4.39 will certainly help his cause as a CB.

I don't scout these players so this certainly isn't from me but we play a ton of off man (when Revis & Browner aren't around) so this little twitter convo was interesting :

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 1h1 hour ago
Watching CB Byron Jones/#UConn do things in off man coverage as far as pedal fluidity, not opening hips, st.-line breaks.....

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 35m35 minutes ago
@LRiddickESPN He's built and has the hands to play press too, IMO.

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 21m21 minutes ago
.@nfldraftscout can do either, but what he does from off is unique and very very rare.

Riddick is a former scout so he should know his stuff.

I don't scout these players so this certainly isn't from me but we play a ton of off man (when Revis & Browner aren't around) so this little twitter convo was interesting :

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 1h1 hour ago
Watching CB Byron Jones/#UConn do things in off man coverage as far as pedal fluidity, not opening hips, st.-line breaks.....

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 35m35 minutes ago
@LRiddickESPN He's built and has the hands to play press too, IMO.

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 21m21 minutes ago
.@nfldraftscout can do either, but what he does from off is unique and very very rare.

Riddick is a former scout so he should know his stuff.

That's why I'm such a fan of his - he appears to be one of the more scheme versatile of all the CBs available early. Add in his athleticism, his intelligence and his ball skills and he's a slam dunk for me. In fact, I'd have taken him in the first round even if we'd re-signed Revis (bye-bye Browner).

That's why I'm such a fan of his - he appears to be one of the more scheme versatile of all the CBs available early. Add in his athleticism, his intelligence and his ball skills and he's a slam dunk for me. In fact, I'd have taken him in the first round even if we'd re-signed Revis (bye-bye Browner).

I personally find Jones a very hard prospect to evaluate.

His tape is very solid. But he played with a shoulder injury, and his tape, while good, just does not stand out to me as "elite". His versatility is excellent. He's not as good a press-man CB as Peters or Rowe, but he has nice versatility, and excellent intangibles. But aside from his freakish Combine numbers, I just wouldn't see him being a 1st round pick.

I have no problem with him in the 2nd round. He could be a "Jamie Collins as a DB" kind of guy who is hard to evaluate and blossoms, and it was obvious that he was a top talent. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he never plays to his athleticism. 1st round seems a bit risky to me. But then, except for Trae Waynes and Kevin Johnson, both of whom have very high floors, there is a lot of risk in the CB class - Jalen Collins, Quentin Rollins and Peters are certainly not without risk.

One of my CB binkies is Bobby McCain from Memphis. Has experience in man and zone..Seems to mirror the WR fairly well, but does not jam well at the line. I was hoping to get opinions from others on this guy as a prospect and potential fit for us. I think we are going to take 2 CB's in this draft, one early and one late. Currently CBS has him as 244-7th round. Please educate me.

One of my CB binkies is Bobby McCain from Memphis. Has experience in man and zone..Seems to mirror the WR fairly well, but does not jam well at the line. I was hoping to get opinions from others on this guy as a prospect and potential fit for us. I think we are going to take 2 CB's in this draft, one early and one late. Currently CBS has him as 244-7th round. Please educate me.

It's a name I keep hearing but I've not seen anything of him. He's only about 5'9" isn't he? That would be my issue, we have more than enough slot corners - I've pretty much discounted anyone under 5'10" this year, rightly or wrongly.

I think RONALD DARBY is what they may be looking for. Quick enough to play zone and has the speed and physicality to play man. Not huge in ball skills. May be a second round pick.

There's some stuff about him and the Winston situation, but hopefully that won't stop them from picking him if they so desire.

He was listed at 5'9.5 and he is 195 LBS and very quick with the ability to anticipate and break quickly on the ball. I get wanting bigger CB's, but for me height is not a huge factor(no pun intended).

He was listed at 5'9.5 and he is 195 LBS and very quick with the ability to anticipate and break quickly on the ball. I get wanting bigger CB's, but for me height is not a huge factor(no pun intended).
In taht case, the you need to leave your bouble you must be in. Wideouts getting bigger and bigger, a 5.9 CB is close to undraftable in todays NFL.

I should have clarified my thought. Height is not a factor when playing against shorter WR's (Cobb, Edelman, Brown and Hilton to name a few) and in that case I would rather have a quicker CB and they are normally the shorter CB's. When playing against a bigger WR I would most definitely I would want a bigger CB. I hope thaqt cleared it up a bit.

Could be a replacement for ARRINGTON, the midget CB you're talking about that is. Small CBs for smaller WRs.

Could be a replacement for ARRINGTON, the midget CB you're talking about that is. Small CBs for smaller WRs.

We have an abundance of quicker guys who can match up well with smaller WRs. Arrington, Butler, Ryan. Bobby McClain could be a lower cost Arrington replacement in 2016. I'm not sure why we'd make that kind of player a focus in the draft.

right, I don't think they would. He's a later round pick/UDFA.

I haven't seen Ladarius Gunter brought up at all. Im no expert, but he's got good size but not great speed. As a later round double dip at the position, seems interesting.

I think the pats will be looking to add to their CB depth in the draft not look to draft someone to replace a guy on the roster. Despite all the hate Arrington gets its obvious that BB likes the guy, he's not going to be cut for no reason

I haven't seen Ladarius Gunter brought up at all. Im no expert, but he's got good size but not great speed. As a later round double dip at the position, seems interesting.

Such a shame - 6'1", 202lbs and played well at the senior bowl but running 4.69 makes him barely draftable unless he improves at his pro day. Before the combine he was on my list of later round value picks.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back