Welcome to PatsFans.com

So ... About The Movie Gran Torino

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Feb 2, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

So ... I finally watch this movie ... Gran Torino.

... I watched the move and I didn't like it.

I get the theme and I've read the reviews just to make sure I did not miss anything. I didn't ... I thought the movie sucked.

I'm guessing that depending on your version of how and when America changed directly affects how you view this movie? The guy was an old racist who sucked as a father and a neighbor ... this role has been cast before I believe. Was the movie supposed to br ground breaking? I liked Eastwood better when he was asking how many bullets were left in the gun. [​IMG] "Dirty Harry"

I thought the acting sucked, the stereotypes were horrible and the slang was contrived.

So did anyone here like the movie?

Was that ending supposed to be sad?

Like because gang members went to jail the neighborhood would change?

The old fool got killed for exactly what reason? That gang in real life gets replaced is all.

Anyways ... just making the post because someone else may find the topic interesting ... perhaps someone here can explain why a movie that sucked is actually great film making. Loved when he crashed that amored bus ... now that was a great movie. [​IMG] "The Gauntlet"

I'm bored and the PoFo forum is rather stagnant with media driven hot topics.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I saw it when it came out. Nothing special. I didn't hate it but nothing worth writing home about. And the ending was a bit too contrived. I thought the priest added nothing to the story and was an uneccessary character. I did think one of Eastwood's lines was poignant, where he remarks something like "I got more in common with these (Asian Americans) than I do my own family." But overall, a mediocre film.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

This would be better served being in the Pub.
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Not really RW ... the movie was about racism.
  5. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I actually loved that line also and I totally related to it in a very personal way.
  6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

It was ok. Unforgiven is still probably my favorite Eastwood flick.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

It was entertaining, but it is what it is, a diversion... looking for some type of hidden meaning is somewhat foolhardy as am not sure if it was its intent, for an old dude to confront gang bangers on the corner is a whole lot unrealistic...

Although the message may have been about racism on one level, it was more about Eastwood, getting old and pondering the last years of your life......
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

An old, tired Republican suddenly discovers that everything he's thought throughout his life is wrong?

Yeah, I wouldn't expect that sort of movie to get over very well here.
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

What doesn't go over very well here is the implication that republicans, especially the ones here. have been wrong about everything they thought in their lives....and are unrepentant racists. Here's some news for you. You're sinking to a level that puts you no better than the kind of people you complain about. You're no better than anyone here.

I hope that went over well.

Back to the movie. I thought the movie had a great message but for a while there it seemd like the vogue thing to do in Hollywood was to have a sad ending.... One of the qualities Eastwoods character grew up to was he found out that judging people based on the group they are part of is bigoted. That's a lesson we should all learn...even those of us who are not republicans.
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You do realize that if the shoe didn't quite fit so good you would have just breezed over my words and not been bothered to offer a response to them.

Its nice to know that I made you stop and think about your values, even if you're unwilling to admit it:)
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

I'll say this, that character might vote every election religiously, or he might hate all the bastids and not vote, but I just don't see him bemoaning the Carter/Reagan outcome if ya know what I'm saying.

Regardless of his party, if he has one, we can just talk about that theme that came through when he realized his own family was a bunch of users and ingrates, and the Hmong family he sort of gets thrown in with is portrayed sympathetically. Eastwood only does one thing, and that's Westerns, whether it's a Western Western, or a cop Western, or a Detroit Hmong-Family-Saving Western. So yes of course it's contrived. It's a Western ending for something that was supposed to portray actual urban reality.

But yeah that one line was perfect. The thing with the suit, and the priest, and him doing a Western ending with the subtext "...and ending the cycle of violence by thinking instead of shooting," all of that was kind of "How the hell do I end this movie without turning it into a kill-them-they-deserve-it spaghetti Western?" So he went with the steel-nerved hero saving the town by not shooting them. Still it's your basic showdown albeit with a christic flavor (no not Christian, christic, as in self-sacrifice for the sins of others.)

So with all the contrived stuff I dunno, I thought it got across a moment a lot of people have had, in that line and the part of the story that deals with his real relationship w/the family. That stuff was pretty good.

I love how he's trying to teach the kid how to behave in society and takes him to this barbership... he is now equipped to hang out with any and all middle aged or elderly white males. Lucky kid.

PFnV
  12. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I wouldn't say he sucked as a father as much as his kids and grandkids were selfish, self-absorbed shallow nit wits. They dressed inappropriately for the funeral ( A Lions jersey?) drove foreign cars which is what drove Detroit into the gutter, and tried to pretend that they knew what was best for Eastwood by putting him in assisted living when he was happy living alone. They also assumed that they would receive his worldly possessions when he dies, in this case the Gran Torino. If I wanted to make a political statement, I'd compare them to the Democrats but I'll leave the political statements to others.....
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

No offense Icy one, but I'd have to say you are not a good movie critic at all. I saw this movie twice at a theater with a very mixed racial audience and both times it got a standing ovation.

YOU think the movie sucked...the fact is, it was fantastic!

Did you also think Mystic River sucked?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  14. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I actually enjoyed this movie. Oh well.
    "Walt" was a guy with a personality that we've all
    seen from people we know. But he does vindicate his own
    character by seeing the other side's point of view.
    What PatsfaninVa states in the third paragraph of his post is spot on.
    I would add that it would be unrealistic to think that those
    gangbangers would be going to jail for that long.
    Realistically they would probably be out in a couple years IF they were even convicted.
    Incidentally, I thought the girl who played "Sue" was kind of hot.:bricks:
  15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Well ... a movie critic i am not ... I agree ... anything art ... my brain is not wired for it.

As for Mystic River ... yes i saw it and I liked it.

I might have liked this movie more if the acting was better ...
    Knowing Clint is a smart guy I'm thinking he wanted actors that were a bit raw.

Movie just seemed so mechanical ... acting was mechancial ... there was no flow to it. Just my personal taste. As for the message in the movie ... well I think it was too contrived. I just expected more based on the reviews. Mixed raced communities was a long time ago for me ... if this was new for some people then they have been very, very sheltered. I like when people new to the country maintain their old traditions ... I liked that he portrayed that very well.

I still give it a [​IMG]
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Is it me, of course it is, it must be, I'm from another era, do they make anymore good "drama's" (god father, lonesome dove etc, do they make ANY movies today without the word "F-ck" why is Hollywood obsessed with F-ck and F-cking....

Why would any adult that isn't a retarded moron stand in line for two hours, pay ten dollars for a ticket, 50 dollars for popcorn just to see a friggin Cartoon (shrek sh!t, simpson sh!t)

There must be a "Dude" on this forum that can explain this sh!t to a f-cked up old fool like me......:confused:
  17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

:rofl: ... great post as usual Harry ... keep them coming.

I bet you've seen all the John Wayne movies ... 2X.

I bet you'd pop wood if Miss Kitty knocked on your door.

[​IMG]