PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So about that 1st rounder in 2016....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
If the Patriots hypothetically were able to trade into the first round in 2016 they can keep their pick if it's #30-#32 correct?

I read that they were not allowed to trade into the first round at all but I don't think that's true is it?

They can trade but if they get a pick higher than #28 it will be confiscated. Just another proof about the bad faith of the NFL over this punishment, it should be the Pats pick by merit not a pick product of a trade.

They can trade but if they get a pick higher than #28 it will be confiscated. Just another proof about the bad faith of the NFL over this punishment, it should be the Pats pick by merit not a pick product of a trade.

Can they trade up for say #15 and then immediately trade that one down for picks in a later round? There would be nothing to confiscate. The text of the punishment just says they can't do that with #29.

Goodell was probably kicking himself in 2008 when he took away the Patriots first rounder only to see the Pats hold the #7 pick.

Wait -- what?! I don't remember reading anything to that effect, but perhaps I missed it. You mean the Pats couldn't package later picks to move up or trade a player into a first-round spot higher than No. 28?

Wait -- what?! I don't remember reading anything to that effect, but perhaps I missed it. You mean the Pats couldn't package later picks to move up or trade a player into a first-round spot higher than No. 28?

Yea.

So for example, if the Pats were to package a deal that sends Chandler Jones and Jimmy Garrapolo to say the Rams, they lose the Rams pick, but get back the 29th.

So, given the avalanche of stories that have come out recently in major media outlets citing the FACT that there's ZERO EVIDENCE that anything was even amiss at that AFCCG last year, tell me again WHY WE DON'T HAVE OUR F***ING PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I'm really pissed about this. The off-season is as much fun as the regular season and now I hardly care.

Yea.

So for example, if the Pats were to package a deal that sends Chandler Jones and Jimmy Garrapolo to say the Rams, they lose the Rams pick, but get back the 29th.
Such BS. All this **** about the integrity but making a teams ability to field a competitive team more difficult doesn't fall under that category.

From the letter:
For the violation of the playing rules and the failure to cooperate in the subsequent investigation, the New England Patriots are fined $1 million and will forfeit the club’s first-round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft and the club’s fourth-round selection in the 2017 NFL Draft. If the Patriots have more than one selection in either of these rounds, the earlier selection shall be forfeited. The club may not trade or otherwise encumber these selections.

So the same restriction applies for the 4th round pick in 2017.

not relly true. if they trade higher than 28, they will simply lose that pick BUT obtain their original #28 pick.

Exactly, as other have said, our higher pick will be stol....forfeit. Best case scenario to get into the 1st round is trading for #29, #30, #31 or #32, then we lose "only" our first by merit.

not relly true. if they trade higher than 28, they will simply lose that pick BUT obtain their original #28 pick.

Never said otherwise, maybe was just incomplete info.

I can't even understand the logic there.

Say Bob Kraft insisted the Patriots trade Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins and Rob Gronkowski for the #1 pick in the draft.

The NFL would then confiscate it.

It's dumb as hell.

BUT...

Come to think of it, I would troll Indianapolis by asking them if they'd be willing to trade a #1 for Gronk. Then when they agreed, which they would agree 100%, I would then tell them the NFL office said we couldn't do this deal.

Can they trade up for say #15 and then immediately trade that one down for picks in a later round? There would be nothing to confiscate. The text of the punishment just says they can't do that with #29.

This is an even better scenario than what I was considering. Say they trade Chandler Jones for #24, and then trade that for 2 second round picks.

You're telling me the NFL is going to have a problem with that? LOL.

So, given the avalanche of stories that have come out recently in major media outlets citing the FACT that there's ZERO EVIDENCE that anything was even amiss at that AFCCG last year, tell me again WHY WE DON'T HAVE OUR F***ING PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I'm really pissed about this. The off-season is as much fun as the regular season and now I hardly care.

That's right! A C- student from "spoiled rich kid" university gets a job preparing coffee for Tagliabue and is subsequently promoted to a $44M/year job of heading a multi billion dollar company. He is given the authority to arbitrarily pull draft picks away from teams and defame any team he disfavors with no apparent repercussions. The league continues to make money hand over fist and couldn't care less about what Patriots fans think.

Sucks, doesn't it?:mad:

This is an even better scenario than what I was considering. Say they trade Chandler Jones for #24, and then trade that for 2 second round picks.

You're telling me the NFL is going to have a problem with that? LOL.

We are the Cheatriots, so let's cheat whenever we can. Like on this punishment. :D

Meh. It's been pissing me off for months. If anything though we should have a strong year for comp picks. With two third rounders being likely what we will have with us getting a 3rd for Revis, hopefully we can at least hit strong on those picks, like when we landed Collins back in 13. :cool:

And, just to be clear, they get #29 back in that scenario.

gAGPGMT.png

That's right! A C- student from "spoiled rich kid" university gets a job preparing coffee for Tagliabue and is subsequently promoted to a $44M/year job of heading a multi billion dollar company. He is given the authority to arbitrarily pull draft picks away from teams and defame any team he disfavors with no apparent repercussions. The league continues to make money hand over fist and couldn't care less about what Patriots fans think.

Sucks, doesn't it?:mad:

Also true: Robert Kraft continues to make money hand over fist and couldn't care less about what Patriots fans think.

Also true: Robert Kraft continues to make money hand over fist and couldn't care less about what Patriots fans think.

Kraft is a business man who have surrounded himself with a some great financial advisers, because Kraft the person is not smart. How could he not read the language of Goodell's punishment against his QB and Team? IF Kraft did and understand he could have sued the league...but no he prefers giving Goodell wraparounds.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots