Welcome to PatsFans.com

Snow melting, dams filling, floods feared in West

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Snow melting, dams filling, floods feared in West - Yahoo! News

The massive amounts of water coursing through the dams have also created a surplus of hydroelectric power. It's such a huge glut that the main provider of electricity in the Northwest ordered a shutdown of wind farms in the region because the grid can't handle all the extra power.

Sacramento, with a population of about 470,000, is the major city at greatest risk of flooding in California. The major concern is flooding caused by deep snowpacks in the Sierra Nevada melting suddenly after a warm rain. Such an event can overload Northern California's extensive system of dams and flood bypasses, straining century-old levees to the breaking point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF? I've never heard of this happening. TOO much power? anyway....looks like the West coast is gunna get it pretty good this spring. My peeps in Sactown better get a life-vest or three. Its comforting to know as a resident of San Francisco, that I don't have to worry about being in the mouth of a flood....or earthquake....(note sarcasm)

Anyone else think this has been a super f-ed up weather year thus far? They are predicting the worst hurricaine season yet, and if I'm not mistaken...I saw a tornado rip though a river in western Mass yesterday?

anyway....

get some canned goods peeps are gunna freak out when Elenin rips between Earth and the Moon on September 11th this year. hold on to your butts...
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They've been predicting the "worst hurricane season yet" every single year since 2005 and since 2005, they've all been quite mild.
    Whuh huh? Are you talking about that comet which is, at it's closest point, going to be about 100 times further away from us than the moon is?

You've been watching too many Roland Emmerich movies. Try the news every once in a while.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ha...Yeah, the comet found by a fake russian with the coded name?

I guess we will see. on sept 11th it should be directly in the path between the Earth and the Sun... According to NASA.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-135&cid=release_2011-135

Chances are that nothing will happen, but thats not what I'm talking about...I'm talking about how others will react to such a site. Remember Hale-Bopp, and it dominating the night sky? Remember the heaven's gate people? multiply that by 1,000, a failing economy, massive gun ownership, floods, earthquakes, tornados, disinformation, and fear......

you seem to have a more positive outlook of the common misinformed american that I do.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That article doesn't say anything remotely near what you are trying to tell us it does. Your own article says "It will have an immeasurably miniscule influence on our planet. By comparison, my subcompact automobile exerts a greater influence on the ocean's tides than comet Elenin ever will."

So I'll have to pass on all your prophecies of doom and gloom. You'd be better off joining up with the fruitcakes trying to tell us the Betelgeuse might go super-nova any day now and as a result wipe all life from Earth.

And yes, when I say "Betelgeuse might go super-nova any day now" I know that what that means is it would have actually gone super-nova 1,000 years ago (or something like that) with the effects only just now reaching us. Either way, it will be a bad day for Ford Prefect.
    There are always going to be lunatics who do lunatic types of things (committing mass suicide, etc). So maybe a couple dozen idiots will use this as an excuse to do their thing. But we will not be seeing Heaven's Gate "multiplied by 1,000."
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

History has shown us that these and other things are probably BS. So, lets wait a few months and then look up, and revisit the Elenin sitch...

Back on subject, aside from the "worst Hurricaine season..." prediction that I will agree seems almost yearly, the flooding, the quakes (and size of them) the tsunamis, the vocanos...seem to be happening at a quicker, more ferocious and more frequent pace.
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You know, when you think about it, you sound an awful lot like that guy who was telling us all about the end of the world (i.e. the rapture) just a couple weeks ago.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ha...

I'm warning people that idiots might get out of hand real soon...

you are reading things in between the lines that I'm not writing, nor intending.
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -7

Global warming, baby.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +187 / 7 / -23

There has been a cycle of natural disasters for a while now, all the science do not understand, but one thing that is obvious is that the earth is angry.

Hurricane predictions are what they are predictions based on scientific models.. and it is better to have some warning/preparation, rather than minimize the forecast..

NE has been lucky for a while now, but sooner or later will be impacted by a major hurricane..
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011