PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Snap counts vs. Titans (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBronxPats14

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
BB Method To His Madness

Not sure if this was posted or not but thought I'd show BB's Defensive play. Good to see BB have confidence in Jones & D H'T, sure paid off!

Defensive Snaps: Jones earns trust - espnBoston

A look at the snaps played by Patriots defenders in the team’s season-opening 34-13 win over the Titans :

LB Jerod Mayo – 65 of 65
CB Devin McCourty – 64 of 65
CB Kyle Arrington – 63 of 65
DE Chandler Jones – 58 of 65
DT Vince Wilfork – 55 of 65
S Patrick Chung – 51 of 65
DE Rob Ninkovich – 50 of 65
S Steve Gregory – 49 of 65
S Tavon Wilson – 42 of 65
DT Kyle Love – 40 of 65
LB Dont’a Hightower – 40 of 65
LB Brandon Spikes – 38 of 65
CB Ras-I Dowling – 36 of 65
DE/DT Jermaine Cunningham – 23 of 65
DT Brandon Deaderick – 16 of 65
DE Trevor Scott – 7 of 65
DT Ron Brace – 6 of 65
CB Marquice Cole – 6 of 65
S Nate Ebner – 5 of 65
CB Sterling Moore – 1 of 65

(Including penalties.)

ANALYSIS: Right defensive end Chandler Jones hardly comes off the field, which is an indication of how quickly he’s earned the confidence of the coaching staff. While other players were part of a rotation, Jones was not. … Linebackers Dont’a Hightower and Brandon Spikes split time in the nickel. Both came off in the dime as Jerod Mayo is the lone all-packages linebacker. … Cornerback Ras-I Dowling was the nickel back, and when he came on to the field, it pushed Kyle Arrington into the slot. … One line of thinking was that maybe Vince Wilfork would see a reduction in snaps with more depth on the line, but that wasn’t the case in the opener. He had a heavy workload. … Jermaine Cunningham saw time at defensive end in the base defense and also as an interior rusher in the dime package, and was productive based on his snaps, also drawing a holding penalty. … The top three safeties – Patrick Chung, Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson – were part of a rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snap counts vs. Titans

Reiss has the always-informative breakdowns...

Defense: Defensive snaps: Jones earns trust - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Offense: Offensive snaps: Where's Welker? - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

On offense, the only thing that really leaps out is Welker's limited snaps (by Welker standards, anyway; he was still on the field for 2/3 of plays, despite the run-out-the-clock focus at the end.)

Defensive snaps have plenty of interest. Three rookies playing 40+ snaps is huge. And how about six different DBs playing the majority of snaps in a game where the game plan focused -- very successfully -- on stopping the run?

Very interesting. One thing that stands out to me is this. Looking at the snaps for Mayo, Spikes and Hightower, there were only 2.2 linebackers out there per play. Was someone else playing linebacker, or were the Pats really in sub defense so much? If so, it's all the more impressive that they were so stout against the run.

Ebner got 5 snaps? I can't even remember him getting in the game at all.

Very interesting. One thing that stands out to me is this. Looking at the snaps for Mayo, Spikes and Hightower, there were only 2.2 linebackers out there per play. Was someone else playing linebacker, or were the Pats really in sub defense so much? If so, it's all the more impressive that they were so stout against the run.

I think Wilson spent a bit of time in the hybrid LB/S role, that might go some ways to explain it.

Last edited:
Vince still playing a lot of snaps. For his own health I hope they find a way to spot him some more breaks.

Vince still playing a lot of snaps. For his own health I hope they find a way to spot him some more breaks.

I think he will see a reduction in plays when it comes to more pass heavy teams.

With the likes of Denver and the no huddle he might see less time and someone like Cunningham who should have more stamina could see an increase.

the pats were up more than 2 scores most of the game.....I think you will see this under those conditions

Cunningham will be a starter by the end of the year

Jones and Ninkovich (I think) played some snaps without a hand on the ground, so in a way you could consider them linebackers on those plays. I think the DE/OLB tweeners are going to make the positional ratios appear more skewed than the scheme actually calls for.

My thoughts:

- The DE rotation seemed very effective. I've always said that ends start to lose something after 40 snaps and really drop off the cliff after 50. I would like to see Jones get fewer snaps if Cunningham/Scott earn a heavier workload. Ninkovich seems to have the look of older Vrabel so it was nice seeing his snaps capped at 50. Having 4 productive DEs will go a long way in helping the defense stay effective in the 4th quarter of games.

- Gregory played 49 snaps. Would have thought he was inactive except for the occasional shot of him during timeouts. Without seeing the coaches tape, I'm assuming he was patrolling the deep middle. If that is the case, the Titans certainly didn't test him...so maybe not seeing him around the ball is a good sign.

- On the flip side, Wilson getting 40+ snaps was a surprise and he showed up. Obviously the interception was big, but he was constantly in frame at the end of plays. If that is a reflection of his instincts and quickness, I can see him being a mistake-eater like Arrington was last year.

- Wilfork is amazing. He shouldn't be upright in the 4th quarter after 50+ snaps but he was still a monster late in the game. With Love (40 snaps which is perfect for him) the space between the OTs was a traffic jam. If RBs can't get started and QBs can't step up into a clean lane, the defense's job becomes much easier.

- I know he is a favorite of some on this board, but I was thrilled to see Sterling Moore getting no defensive snaps. When/if Dennard gets healthy, Moore may become a depth/inactive DB that just waits for injuries and can get plugged in everywhere. He was more often than not the weak link last year and seeing him on the sidelines is addition by subtraction.

- Welker's relatively low snap count may be a surprise, but he better show more if he wants to prevent it going even lower. He didn't seem to be doubled yet wasn't getting open like expected. Didn't look quick or elusive on screens. The pass off his facemask on the 1st drive was ugly. Not going to push him off the cliff yet, but considering how last season ended and this being a contract year, not a great start for Welker.

Cunningham will be a starter by the end of the year

Maybe - I think it will depend on the health of the rest of other players and I think they like Ninko much more than most of the fans. I do see him as an important contributor whether he starts or subs in like he did against the Titans. Certainly a brigth spot so far. If he can get more consistant he will be an updgrade over Anderson even if he doesn't "make up for the 10 lost sacks..."

Maybe - I think it will depend on the health of the rest of other players and I think they like Ninko much more than most of the fans. I do see him as an important contributor whether he starts or subs in like he did against the Titans. Certainly a brigth spot so far. If he can get more consistant he will be an updgrade over Anderson even if he doesn't "make up for the 10 lost sacks..."

If Cunninghams pre-season and yesterdays gam are any indicator.... he might be too good to leave off the field. I could see him starting at LE, and kicking to DT on 3rd downs, with Ninko/Scott coming in on 3rd down at LE.

- Welker's relatively low snap count may be a surprise, but he better show more if he wants to prevent it going even lower. He didn't seem to be doubled yet wasn't getting open like expected. Didn't look quick or elusive on screens. The pass off his facemask on the 1st drive was ugly. Not going to push him off the cliff yet, but considering how last season ended and this being a contract year, not a great start for Welker.

Just because you don't see two guys draped all over a receiver doesn't mean he isn't getting doubled.

Re: Snap counts vs. Titans

The front seven starters all played over 50% of the reps, with only Cunningham and Deaderick getting significant reps as backups. The "backup" defensive backs did indeed play a lot. Our core defense seems to be the front 9 and the back 6. Keeping the safeties fresh was especially interesting. This will be the base for the future. I believe are signed for 2013 except Arrington and Chung.

I thought Cunningham was in there more than he was; he had a major impact.

Defense: Defensive snaps: Jones earns trust - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Offense: Offensive snaps: Where's Welker? - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

On offense, the only thing that really leaps out is Welker's limited snaps (by Welker standards, anyway; he was still on the field for 2/3 of plays, despite the run-out-the-clock focus at the end.)

Defensive snaps have plenty of interest. Three rookies playing 40+ snaps is huge. And how about six different DBs playing the majority of snaps in a game where the game plan focused -- very successfully -- on stopping the run?

Last edited:
Tavon Wilson played much more than expected, and from my view spent a lot of time around the ball....

Re: Snap counts vs. Titans

Welker and Edelman basically split a position with Welker playing twice as much as Edelman.
What struck me was not only Welker's reduced reps, but also Edelman's increase in reps.

I think it significant that Lloyd had more reps that Welker. I'm not sure that Josh wants Lloyd off the field much.

"The First Contract" defense. Check out the snap counts....with the exceptions of Wilfork, Mayo, Ninko, and Gregory.....its a bunch of youngsters running around out there. Remember back in the day of Lombardi Trophies and parades, a Bill Belichick defense was a veteran group that could process his complicated schematics. Unfortunately, the speed of the game eventually overmatched our war-hardened vets. Well its a new NFL and BB is now an offensive guru.
Three rookies seeing starters time......remember back when Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork were worked into the system methodically. Not these days. Bill blew up his D roster and time will tell if this new athletism trumps experience.

I wonder if Welker has checked out on the team mentally being exhausted and irritated with the lack of a contact extension. Especially considering the two tight ends got one. And further, I wonder if the reduced reps mean that Josh and Bill realize he's checked out on them.

One disappoint in these stats for me is Ron Brace's numbers. I would have thought that the combination of his excellent play in the preseason and the good sense to limit Vince's snap count would have caused the Pats to give Ron around 20 snaps. at least. I hope the fact he only got 6 was merely an oversight.

The defensive work was very encouraging. The biggest issue was Gregory not able to pick up Nate Washington from McCourty on the long sole Titan's TD but otherwise some really nice team work. Belichick always emphasizes to "Do your job" we saw that with the run defense. In the first quarter, Johnson was always looking to cut back and a Patriot was always there. No one left their responsibility. My favorite current Patriot is Jerod Mayo. You can tell the coaches like him too as he is the only player to be on every defensive snap. Another solid game from the Pats linebacker. I am encouraged by the play of Tavon Wilson. There was a lot of three safety play and Wilson was terrific with a very impressive interception but also having a mistake-free game. I'd like to see Ras-I Dowling start at corner and just bring in Arrington for the nickel since I think Dowling has more speed and better skills but he is not quite ready as we saw with the pass interference penalty. Other than that, we did see him display very good, close coverage. It's a great start. Let's see even some improvements against the Cardinals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes