PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Wilhite injured in N. Attleboro home invasion, reason for inactive-pulled groin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SMY: Wilhite injured in N. Attleboro home invasion, reason for inactive

Where does this 10% figure come from? What pros in what industry?

Also ... what jail are you going 1 on 1 with someone? It is at least 3 guards to 1 prisoner...correct?

City and county jails, but also state jails when a prisoner had a court case.

We were often 1 on 1.

This was in Connecticut.

I was just citing what I learned during my training (which was actually laughable, but the guys doing the training gave us these figures when they were training us in self-defense).

For the record, I don't have a handgun at home, but I do have a rifle. i just don't imagine using it in such a situation. I also live in a poor decent sized city (Buffalo).

City and county jails, but also state jails when a prisoner had a court case.

We were often 1 on 1.

This was in Connecticut.

I was just citing what I learned during my training (which was actually laughable, but the guys doing the training gave us these figures when they were training us in self-defense).

For the record, I don't have a handgun at home, but I do have a rifle. i just don't imagine using it in such a situation. I also live in a poor decent sized city (Buffalo).

Where in CT did you work?... I work for a Police Department in CT and am real curious. I will talk to my Corrections officer friends and see what they say but I am 99.9999% positive the rule is 3 to 1 on Guard / Prisoner confrontation.
Those figures are the most ridiculous stats I have ever seen... who gives out that information(who trained you?)?

What are you talking about? Even if we use your ridiculous numbers, if the good guys have a 10% chance of hitting something, presumably the bad guys are also at 10% right? And this whole, you might crap yourself so it's best not to have a gun is also pretty weird logic. I mean cops don't practice on real people (you'd be surprised at how little they actually train - ammunition is very expensive) and the vast majority never fire their gun their whole careers (and yet, they seem to be able to return fire when the sh-t hits the fan). Like 2000army said, if you don't want a gun fine, but please stop with the crappy stats and crappy logic.

What's crappy logic about a 10% rate? Those are poor chances. Your chances of defense are INCREASED by other means.

And the stats aren't crappy, you can look them up yourself, as I just did in my university's database: National Self Defense Survey conducted by Florida State University criminologists in 1994 found that the vast majority of cases, 89%, did not result in a hit on the attacker.

A Hart Foundation study discovered the same thing.

Then there's this from the Northwestern U. School of Law: "In 91.7% of these incidents the defensive use of a gun did not wound or kill the criminal attacker...In a review of fifteen reports, police officers inflicted at least one gunshot wound on at least one adversary in 37% of the incidents in which they intentionally fired at someone.[78]"

"Percent of home invaders who brandish guns: 14%"

These Northwestern guys don't actually have an estimate because they tend to disbelieve the surveys but from looking at crime reports (i.e. when someone is shot at) they estimate that criminals hit 18% of the time, cops at 37%. The number for home defense is questioned simply because they say that those who shoot at an assailant, and then the assailant flees, may look with favor on their marksmanship.

Where in CT did you work?... I work for a Police Department in CT and am real curious. I will talk to my Corrections officer friends and see what they say but I am 99.9999% positive the rule is 3 to 1 on Guard / Prisoner confrontation.
Those figures are the most ridiculous stats I have ever seen... who gives out that information(who trained you?)?

New Haven.

I posted the stats below from criminology studies.

First of all, glad to hear Wilhite is ok. That can be a very scary situation when for any victim. We don't know what security measures he had taken, but hopefully he will take the time to put some in place now to protect him and his family.

If you are going to have a gun in your home for home defense, don't use a rifle. In a house it is very unwieldy and tough to aim, and would most likely just escalate a situation. A pistol is better, but a shotgun is the best. A .12 gauge shotgun with a riot barrel can put a hole the size of a softball in someone 10 feet away(know your state laws. This could be illegal in some). In truth, just pointing it at a home invader will make all but the most crazed turn and run. Hopefully you never have to use it. Oh, and if you are going to get a gun, please take a training course, even a hunters safety course will suffice. If you have a weapon you don't know how to store, load, and use you'll be in trouble...

First of all, glad to hear Wilhite is ok. That can be a very scary situation when for any victim. We don't know what security measures he had taken, but hopefully he will take the time to put some in place now to protect him and his family.

If you are going to have a gun in your home for home defense, don't use a rifle. In a house it is very unwieldy and tough to aim, and would most likely just escalate a situation. A pistol is better, but a shotgun is the best. A .12 gauge shotgun with a riot barrel can put a hole the size of a softball in someone 10 feet away(know your state laws. This could be illegal in some). In truth, just pointing it at a home invader will make all but the most crazed turn and run. Hopefully you never have to use it. Oh, and if you are going to get a gun, please take a training course, even a hunters safety course will suffice. If you have a weapon you don't know how to store, load, and use you'll be in trouble...

Both excellent points.

The key point is that Wilhite and others are safe.

And don't think simply possessing a weapon can't end up with your weapon in someone else's hands or that they're not more proficient with theirs than you are.

Here in NH, I'm surrounded by armed neighbors who are experienced handling guns. Local (Exeter NH) SigArms manufacturer of Sig-Sauer pistols offers excellent weapons handling and safety courses.

Thanks to SMY for the coverage.

I have a German Shepherd and Brinks security system. I feel pretty secure.

For the most part, I believe when a burglar hears a dog inside a house, they're most likely to look elsewhere.

Good for you. My wife and I lived in Greenwich Village (NYC) for 10 years after college. We had a German Shepherd the whole time. I would describe our shepherd as extremely passive but in the couple situations when I felt threatened, it was like you threw a light switch on, the dog went into protective mode. Situation over.

Both excellent points.

The key point is that Wilhite and others are safe.

And don't think simply possessing a weapon can't end up with your weapon in someone else's hands or that they're not more proficient with theirs than you are.

Here in NH, I'm surrounded by armed neighbors who are experienced handling guns. Local (Exeter NH) SigArms manufacturer of Sig-Sauer pistols offers excellent weapons handling and safety courses.

Thanks to SMY for the coverage.

Great training classes .... go if you own a gun it is well worth it.

Yeah, the police report says that Wilhite pulled his groin running to a nearby Cumby's after he saw the guys at his house.

Re: Why Wilhite Didn't play

Sad to say, but no doubt it's true. I'm a middle class white dude living in some average suburbs and I would not dare not have a gun in my home. Home invasions are wayyyyy too common these days.

They're actually pretty low from a historic sense right now. The media just loves to talk them up.

And finally every family should have a least a basic plan for a fire, break in, home invasion. A lot of people think it will never happen to them.

Thats because, for most people, it never will.

Re: SMY: Wilhite injured in N. Attleboro home invasion, reason for inactive-pulled gr

That what you get for living in North Attleboro, Jonathon...

Move out of that slum someplace safe, like Lexington or Belmont...

Re: SMY: Wilhite injured in N. Attleboro home invasion, reason for inactive-pulled gr

A groin injury? From running?

Sounds a little far-fetched to me.

When asked how long Wilhite's injury will keep him out of the Cumby's, the store's manager, Sunil Gupta, said that Wilhite is "day-to-day."

When asked how long Wilhite's injury will keep him out of the Cumby's, the store's manager, Sunil Gupta, said that Wilhite is "day-to-day."

Not to come across as racially insensitive but I found this post beyond hysterical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back