PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY still apologizing for AFailus, and Springs too

Status
Not open for further replies.
A.D. talks "sorrrrry" - Extra Points - Boston.com

I know that it must suck that your source is off the team, Shalise, but this constant ball-washing of him, and now of another failed vet "leader"(snicker) in Springs, is getting tiresome almost to the point of serious reputation damage.

Those who understand what it takes to win here, are staying; those who don't, are leaving. Why don't we just admit that ADT & Springs fall into the latter category, and leave it at that?

Very well said Captain Stone. Sadly, this town is full of writers who praise the players who are nice to them, and constantly rip anybody not inclined to kiss up to them. It got old a long time ago. At the very least, it's a story during some boring times. :)

Last edited:
OT, but we've come to a fascinating pass in journalism to be saying, "Sure, this would be fine as a newspaper feature story. But this is a blog post, so I expect better."

It's not that I expect better journalism in a blog post than in a feature story; it's that I expect things like injury updates, transaction news/analysis, OTA reports, etc. from a blog whose main purpose is to give its readers up-to-the-minute information. IMO therefore, a PR piece about an underacheiving, disgruntled ex-player/source who's in the area only to promote some for-profit venture of his, does Not qualify as a blog entry. And that's my purpose for starting the thread.

The title of this thread is way misleading. Where is "she" apologizing for either one of these players?

She is reporting what what said between them. Nothing more. I won't change the title of this thread as Ian and other mods have already posted and maybe they see something I don't.

And she reports that she talked to AD and he is still unemployed.Big deal! Is she not suppose to talk to former players? I will admit that the blog was next to nothingness. but she wasn't making any excuse for either player.

Where is that "ball washing" for him? Good lord, I'm as big a homer as there is and proud of it. But she's just doing her job and not going all Borges or Felger.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out where people got the idea that Springs was a rotten apple in the locker-room..

An avid Foreskins fan I know says that both he (Springs) and Portis stunk up (and still stink up in Dr Doo Itch's case) the locker room.

And he cant get to training on time.

Originally Posted by DaBruinz
I'm still trying to figure out where people got the idea that Springs was a rotten apple in the locker-room..

Theres been snippets reported throught the year after games, you may have missed them.

I think the problem people have with this article is not necessarily the content, but the Patriots fan’s view of the source and media in general. I have always enjoyed and respected SMY's work. I have never viewed as a reporter with any sort of agenda and still don’t. But the fact that this maybe one AD article too many from a reporter who obviously has a good working relationship with AD, and it is from the Globe, a publication that between Borges, Shaughnessy, and now Massarotti and Gasper has built up some bad blood with Patriots fans over the years. is the reason for the strong reaction from Pats fans. In other words, if the same words were written by someone like Curran or Reiss, I don't think people would be having the same reaction.

I think another part of the reason Breer (Hernandez case) and SMY have received some unwarranted venom (going beyond criticism) is because of the Globe's recent past, along with a rising tide of over the top anti-pats shtick in the media since 2007, which has given many Patriots fans every right to be a little sensitive:

-Spygate and its ludicrous over-exaggeration and fallout, which has subjected Patriots fans to "cheating" accusations everywhere since (I always use the "its legal from the endzone/pressbox, we just did it from the sidelines, what the big deal, do your research, or do they not teach reading in Pittsburgh?)

-The continued vilification of our coach by the national media, who are forever bitter about his unquotability and desire to give out injury information.

-The post-spygate rise of national analysts who have become more obvious in their anti-Patriots bias (Tom Jackson, Marshall Faulk, Charlie Casserly, Mike Ditka, Mike Golic, Steve Wyche, and countless others).

-The Tomase/Herald/Walkthrough travesty

-The advent of a new sports radio station that spews slanted, misinformed anti-Pats slander from 6-10am, 2-6pm, and 6-11pm. (yes, you 98.5. Tony Massarotti must be stopped)

The point is SMY is getting unfairly criticized for this article. But it is not necessarily because us Patriots fans are whiny little brats. It is no small part due to the work of many of her colleagues throughout the football/Boston media landscape who have created a tremendous and warranted level of skepticism from Patriots fans.

Let me start by saying I don't like SMY. I have viewed her as a whiny little brat ever since she threw her temper tantrum after being quote (unnamed, the only reason we found out she was the one quoted is she mentioned it on this board) by CHFF at the draft a year ago. I have very strong bias against her.

Yet, despite that bias against her. I can't for the life of me figure out why you are upset with her publishing this story.

Let me start by saying I don't like SMY. I have viewed her as a whiny little brat ever since she threw her temper tantrum after being quote (unnamed, the only reason we found out she was the one quoted is she mentioned it on this board) by CHFF at the draft a year ago. I have very strong bias against her.

Yet, despite that bias against her. I can't for the life of me figure out why you are upset with her publishing this story.

I respectfully disagree about your comment. I just pulled up and reread the entire thread you mentioned and felt that whole thing was blown way out of proportion. She came on here and told you exactly what/why she wrote it [which she didn't have to do], and was pretty honest and straightforward to everyone on here because she obviously cares what everyone thinks and focuses her writing toward what fans want to know.

I mean let's be honest - if you take someone who writes 1000's of articles, blog posts, etc. and they write one where they made an observation of what they saw and thought may have been the case - I think it's ridiculous to crucify them forever over it, even if it may have been wrong. I understand the effect people believe it could have on Crable - but if he was never in the doghouse with Belichick, something a reporter writes isn't going to change anything and if Belichick likes him and feels he can help the team, he'll play him if he earns a role.

I'm a pretty fair and balanced guy and tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I wish some of the people in here would try and do the same.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree about your comment. I just pulled up and reread the entire thread you mentioned and felt that whole thing was blown way out of proportion. She came on here and told you exactly what/why she wrote it, and was pretty honest and straightforward to everyone on here because she obviously cares what everyone thinks and focuses her writing toward what fans want to know.

I mean let's be honest - if you take someone who writes 1000's of articles, blog posts, etc. and they write one where they made an observation of what they saw and thought may have been the case - I think it's ridiculous to crucify them forever over it, even if it may have been wrong. I understand the effect people believe it could have on Crable - but if he was never in the doghouse with Belichick, something a reporter writes isn't going to change anything and if Belichick likes him and feels he can help the team, he'll play him if he earns a role.

I'm a pretty fair and balanced guy and tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I wish some of the people in here would try and do the same.

My point being -- I don't like her. Yet I still don't see the point of this thread that is crucifying her. Not to reopen the debate on whether she was a whinny brat in a story over a year ago.

It's simple. She has come across as AD's mouth piece for months. The guy isn't even on the team anymore and she's still writing about him. Either she doesn't care about the mouth piece perception or she doesn't understand how she appears to some of us. What are there, 80 guys on the team right now? Many of whom we know very little about. She can't write about one of their BBQs instead?? I've gone on the record before and stated I didn't care about her opinion in her articles. Just report the facts... but how about some facts about current Patriots? This is not about her as a person, but my perception of her poor work as a beat writer.

My point being -- I don't like her. Yet I still don't see the point of this thread that is crucifying her. Not to reopen the debate on whether she was a whinny brat in a story over a year ago.

Fair enough. I do agree with you regarding this thread - and I think it's time to put it to bed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye