PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY still apologizing for AFailus, and Springs too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, there's the crux of the matter! I have an answer for you:

Nope.

I came to this conclusion by doing some legwork. I read through all of the Pats blogs for the past day -- Globe, Herald, Projo, ESPN. Aside from SMY's post, ALL of the coverage was of the totally news-free zone of Wes Welker's football camp. I could barely stay awake through all of the reports.

And as it happens, Bert Breer took the [*yawn*] Welker camp beat for the Globe.

So that means Young was left trying to scrounge up a quick blog at a time when everybody worth talking to is off on vacation. What's the big deal? :confused2:

Over at NFP, Bowen is approaching this by taking the educative route in terms of passing the time. This is his third installment:

Inside the playbook: the zone blitz | National Football Post

And as you can see, the reactions have been overwhelming positive, drawing more comments than average.

This is the same paper that lost Reiss who always tried to give a balanced view, but keeps employed, the king of douchebag reporting, Shanknancy. In 30 years of whining, I guarantee you Shanknancy still doesn't know what a nickelback is.

Somehow I don't think it's all on SMY.

I'll bet Shanknancy has the CD from Nickleback, though... :cool:

Honestly, why anyone reads the NYT Lite is beyond me.

Nothing wrong with the article, and some people apparently need to learn the difference between "explaining" and "apologizing".

So that means Young was left trying to scrounge up a quick blog at a time when everybody worth talking to is off on vacation. What's the big deal? :confused2:

The thing is, I'd rather read a piece about the merits of Mike Teel v. Jeff Rowe v. Zac Robinson, than another word about AFailus & his excuses. SMY has devoted an inordinate amount of time on this subject, so I guess her strategy is to repeat the ADT-is-AOK mantra until more people actually start believing it. What's worse is, she allowed him space to pimp his product as well as his phony devotion.

If this were a stand-alone story, then yeah I don't have to click it in order to read other news; but this is the Glob's Pats blog, so if I want to read that other news, then I have to trudge through this slop while holding my nose at the same time.

Over at NFP, Bowen is approaching this by taking the educative route in terms of passing the time. This is his third installment:

Inside the playbook: the zone blitz | National Football Post

And as you can see, the reactions have been overwhelming positive, drawing more comments than average.

ya, Bowen's tearin' it up. NFP is another level of Football news though, staffed by former HO guys, players and managers. I'm not sure it's fair to expect stuff like that from the beaties.

I think the amount of venom being spewed at her is a bit much. I've spoken to her quite a bit and she's a great person, and she worked pretty hard at the ProJo to get to where she is at the Globe. Just a couple of weeks ago people were praising one of her other pieces, now people are ripping her for a blog post? Really?

While I don't care about AD either, I thought the credit card story was pretty interesting - which no one else had mentioned. Most of the stuff being written is all filler since it's a dead time anyway, so I think some of you may want to chill and just take some of the news for what it is rather than getting worked up and saying some of the things that you are publicly.

I think it's time to start reconsidering the hatred toward The Globe. They've turned over the entire Patriots writers since the days of Ron Borges, etc., and replaced them with people who care about their job and bringing the news to the fans - even if people don't like some of it. I saw the other Gasper thread and left it alone, but Gasper worked with Mike Reiss and is doing a serviceable job as he continues to find himself as a columnist and writer, and I think he'll continue to get better as time goes on.

Needless to say try and don't post anything you wouldn't be brave enough to stand in front of that person and say to their faces. Many of these people believe that the fans who frequent here are some of the best and most knowledgable there are. Let's try and show them that includes the word "class" as well.

Last edited:
Ah, there's the crux of the matter! I have an answer for you:

Nope.

I came to this conclusion by doing some legwork. I read through all of the Pats blogs for the past day -- Globe, Herald, Projo, ESPN. Aside from SMY's post, ALL of the coverage was of the totally news-free zone of Wes Welker's football camp. I could barely stay awake through all of the reports.

And yet, Patchick, Mike Reiss somehow manages to come up with something interesting or newsworthy thats Patriots or NFL-related several times a day even during the darkest part of the offseason. Dredging up the AD thing for no apparent reason is IMO either some kind of personal crusade or just lazy reporting. Why not bring up dredge up the Ty Law "gotta feed the family" tour? Or perhaps the Deon Branch contract squabble? There has to be something, anything, to write about that's related to the football today.

And yet, Patchick, Mike Reiss somehow manages to come up with something interesting or newsworthy thats Patriots or NFL-related several times a day even during the darkest part of the offseason. Dredging up the AD thing for no apparent reason is IMO either some kind of personal crusade or just lazy reporting. Why not bring up dredge up the Ty Law "gotta feed the family" tour? Or perhaps the Deon Branch contract squabble? There has to be something, anything, to write about that's related to the football today.

I think an update on Ty Law's cousin would be interesting. Does he still enjoy cross border trips to strip clubs? Has he cleaned up his act, pharmaceutical wise? Does he still help Ty pack his bag for trips? If so, have there been other incidents? Stuff like that.

I agree with Ian, the hysteria against the Globe and SMY is out of control and smells like more reflexive media hate spawned in the political arena.

Besides, this piece could easily be seen as an opportunity for Pats fans to see inside the head of a guy the team heaped its largest FA contract on. Why this dude is no longer on the team and was such a swing and a miss for BB remains very much an issue.

As for apologizing for AD? Uh, reading his words here I thought it was apparent the guy still doesn't get how inappropriate the exchange with Springs was. The explanation of joke the hardly matters, it was the timing, the moment, the audience that all mattered, and sadly AD's either unable to see that or his ego's too big to admit a possible mistake. That's the vibe I'd pick up from this piece if I were a GM on another team considering hiring this dude. SMY isn't apologizing for AD but letting him tarnish his reputation further, if you ask me.

Either way, she lets the reader make up their own mind - isn't that what you want in a writer?

Actually with Gaspar and Maserotti, I think the Globe sports page is worse than when they had Borges. at least Borges was funny, even if unintentionally.

The Herald with that Ian guy is better, but you really can skip the locals and just read Reiss at ESPN IMO.

There's much more current and relevant Patriots coverage in this forum than at the Globe currently.

Good points Ian. But I do think that a writer has to consider his/her audience when putting something out there and if she hadn't noticed by then, SMY should realze now that most Patriots fans are sick and tired of AD and his issues. Not looking for fluff pieces but at least something relevant. If I want to get unneccessarily aggravated. I'll go watch last season's Saints game again. Otherwise, I personally have no issues with SMY and hope she becomes a great Pats writer because then we all benefit.

Do you mean BB player god on that first one?
Thomas said it is a "different" feeling being unemployed, but "you pray to God and let him handle it."

hopefully, god can send him a winning lottery ticket so he won't starve.

I mean another one.

I only judge writers by what they write. If it isn't interesting to me, I don't read it. Curran used to be great at Projo, since he's gone national or back to regional he's JAG.

Reiss is better since he left the Globe, so I skip the rest, mostly.

It's not about personalities, if you write about players we're glad to be rid of, you're writing for the segment who wants to read that and I assume the Globe has picked out some controversy angle requiring their writers to stoke controversy and write stuff Patriots fans don't want to read, but maybe gossip aficionados do.

Last edited:
AD = yawn.
All that did was make me hungry.

I think the amount of venom being spewed at her is a bit much. I've spoken to her quite a bit and she's a great person, and she worked pretty hard at the ProJo to get to where she is at the Globe. Just a couple of weeks ago people were praising one of her other pieces, now people are ripping her for a blog post? Really?

While I don't care about AD either, I thought the credit card story was pretty interesting - which no one else had mentioned. Most of the stuff being written is all filler since it's a dead time anyway, so I think some of you may want to chill and just take some of the news for what it is rather than getting worked up and saying some of the things that you are publicly.

I think it's time to start reconsidering the hatred toward The Globe. They've turned over the entire Patriots writers since the days of Ron Borges, etc., and replaced them with people who care about their job and bringing the news to the fans - even if people don't like some of it. I saw the other Gasper thread and left it alone, but Gasper worked with Mike Reiss and is doing a serviceable job as he continues to find himself as a columnist and writer, and I think he'll continue to get better as time goes on.

Needless to say try and don't post anything you wouldn't be brave enough to stand in front of that person and say to their faces. Many of these people believe that the fans who frequent here are some of the best and most knowledgable there are. Let's try and show them that includes the word "class" as well.

Shanknancy and Bob Cryin are still there, and they still command priority space, especially after a big defeat or playoff loss (pushing the much more knowledgeable, junior writers off the pages). Honestly not only is it beyond tiring that the "end of the world/era/career" theme gets regurgitated every season, but it is utterly sickening that after 30 years, neither of them really know much about football.

I mean if I were in their position, I would at least take pride in trying to know as much as I could about the sports I'm making a career out of covering.

And yet, Patchick, Mike Reiss somehow manages to come up with something interesting or newsworthy thats Patriots or NFL-related several times a day even during the darkest part of the offseason. .

:yeahthat:

If this were a stand-alone story, then yeah I don't have to click it in order to read other news; but this is the Glob's Pats blog, so if I want to read that other news, then I have to trudge through this slop while holding my nose at the same time.

OT, but we've come to a fascinating pass in journalism to be saying, "Sure, this would be fine as a newspaper feature story. But this is a blog post, so I expect better."

Shanknancy and Bob Cryin are still there, and they still command priority space, especially after a big defeat or playoff loss (pushing the much more knowledgeable, junior writers off the pages). Honestly not only is it beyond tiring that the "end of the world/era/career" theme gets regurgitated every season, but it is utterly sickening that after 30 years, neither of them really know much about football.

I mean if I were in their position, I would at least take pride in trying to know as much as I could about the sports I'm making a career out of covering.

I'm more or less referring to the people devoted to covering the Patriots full-time - not the Red Sox & Celtics writers, or the guys who occasionally write a column when there's something controversial to discuss. Overall I think they're doing a much better job now than they had been previously.

Last edited:
What a bunch of overly sensative crybabies.

It blows my mind, the level of "homerism" that is displayed on this website.

You people are no better than the "patriots haters" you've dedicated your lives to protesting against. You say that "the writers keep trying to find reasons to dog that Pat's". Well, you lunatics do the same type of thing on the other end of the spectrum. You spin everything into anti patriots writing, and scour the web for anything that might have a hint of anti Pat's flavor.

Why don't you just read the known ballwashers and get over it?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

I respectfully disagree. I don't feel that there is one post in this entire thread for which an apology is needed, or a retraction given, or which shows a lack of class.

If Breer & SMY wish to constantly pimp the Jesters & ADT, that's their business; but neither of them should be surprised when one of those puff-pieces is publicly called-out as uninformative crap. And yeah, I would say that to their faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes