PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Pats interested in Fred Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Taylor want to go to Buffalo when everyone knows that Losman gets all the big carries late. :rolleyes:

I would love to have Fred Taylor on the Pats. In fact, his style is very similar to Morris - running hard between the tackles. In addition, he still has some speed. However, my only concerns are his age, can he stay healthy and how will he get his carries? If a back has to go, it will be BJGE. I hope the Pats keep Evans because he's a great receiver and delivers some great blocks. Obviously, having Taylor on the Pats makes their RB's look ridiculous on paper. Also, it will relieve some pressure on Maroney to be "the guy".

Last edited:
I would love to have Fred Taylor on the Pats. In fact, his style is very similar to Morris - running hard between the tackles. In addition, he still has some speed. However, my only concerns are his age, can he stay healthy and how will he get his carries? If a back has to go, it will be BJGE. I hope the Pats keep Evans because he's a great receiver and delivers some great blocks. Obviously, having Taylor on the Pats makes their RB's look ridiculous on paper. Also, it will relieve some pressure on Maroney to be "the guy".

Maroney is not made to be 'the guy' nor do I feel BB ever thinks so -

IMO LoMo will ALWAYS require this team to have a good 1-2 back tamden to succeed long in this league,I don't think he will ever be 'the guy' here but more or less to compliment the other featured back on this team whoever he may be

If he's cheap sounds like a low risk/high reward thing and you can never have enough RB depth on this team. Don't wanna spend too much on him though what good is depth when it might be injured a majority of the time.

So do they try to trade Maroney ? Or give him one more season to try to peove himself.

:enranged: Take-off you knob!

I think the term you're searching for is "Hoser" or "Hoseur" in Quebec. Also "Joser" in rural Ontario during the harvest.

Maroney goes nowhere.

Yup. Nailed that one.

Maroney is on contract through 2010, and he stays here at least until then. Despite all the injuries and not living up to expectations, he is a solid part of our RB by committee approach with a reasonable contract, and still the most likely of our RBs to be the cornerstone beyond 2010. I personally think a year or two under Fred Taylor's tutelage would do wonders for him. I don't mind him getting banged up - that is the fate of RBs in this league - but I'd like to see him be a bit more aggressive and use his great talents to better effect when he does play. He could be a Fred Taylor (in his prime) type of player with the right mentality and a few changes to his running style.

I think the term you're searching for is "Hoser" or "Hoseur" in Quebec. Also "Joser" in rural Ontario during the harvest.
Ah, but isn't Hoser somewhat of a term of endearment? :nono:

And "Joser" might be, um, too intimate for this conversation... :eek:

Ah, but isn't Hoser somewhat of a term of endearment? :nono:

And "Joser" might be, um, too intimate for this conversation... :eek:

You've prompted me to research it (that and the fact that progress bars sometimes lose their hold on me)... it's bizarre that tehre is even a detailed explanation.

Today, the word hoser evokes - sometimes sympathetically, with gentle ribbing, and sometimes negatively - a stereotypical Canadian male, typically lower to middle class, white and English Canadian. He is especially concerned with drinking beer and watching hockey or curling.

Swap out "hockey or curling" for Football, and I'm in!

Yep, JSn, Canada's Wicked Hosah.

Anyway,back to the topic here, I have an inkling that Maroney will play well this year. Taylor would just be a swap for Jordan and BJGE would likely get traded away to a less attentive team in need of an RB (formerly: The Broncos).

You've prompted me to research it (that and the fact that progress bars sometimes lose their hold on me)... it's bizarre that tehre is even a detailed explanation.

Swap out "hockey or curling" for Football, and I'm in!

Yep, JSn, Canada's Wicked Hosah.

Anyway,back to the topic here, I have an inkling that Maroney will play well this year. Taylor would just be a swap for Jordan and BJGE would likely get traded away to a less attentive team in need of an RB (formerly: The Broncos).

wouldn't you rather bring BJGE into camp than trade him for low rd picks even if its unlikely he beats the 4 or 5 ahead of him.

(I am not even sure someone would give anything)

wouldn't you rather bring BJGE into camp than trade him for low rd picks even if its unlikely he beats the 4 or 5 ahead of him.

Personally, I like Law-Firm and suspect he could work beyond JAG status. I'm just thinking about the final roster, but if he can beat out one of the others (tough to imagine who), absolutely.

Of course, we should have him come to camp as part of the 80 man roster. Also, I would keep him until the last cut. After all, someone needs to play RB in the last (useless) pre-season game. And, yes someone could get injured.

If anything, last year's situation should tell us that we should keep as many running backs on the roster as we can possibly afford.

The answer used to be 4 for FB's and RB's. It was moved up to five last year. I think that's the right number, plus a {Practice Squad or speed dial player).

If anything, last year's situation should tell us that we should keep as many running backs on the roster as we can possibly afford.

Personally, I like Law-Firm and suspect he could work beyond JAG status. I'm just thinking about the final roster, but if he can beat out one of the others (tough to imagine who), absolutely.

BJGE's ceiling is low, though. Believe me, I like the guy a lot. He runs hard, and he has good vision. But he's not fast, not too quick, and based on everything said about him going into the draft and everything we've seen since, he's not going to develop into a 3rd down option a la Faulk. He's also not going to develop into a premier back.

I'd say BJGE's projection is a good backup in the NFL - which has value. But we already have that covered, I'd say - with or without signing Taylor - and thus I think barring injuries, he's on the outside looking in when it comes to a roster spot.

Last edited:
I'd say BJGE's projection is a good backup in the NFL - which has value. But we already have that covered, I'd say - with or without signing Taylor - and thus I think barring injuries, he's on the outside looking in when it comes to a roster spot.

Really? I think he takes Jordan's place if Taylor doesn't sign (but he will, so it's moot).

Really? I think he takes Jordan's place if Taylor doesn't sign (but he will, so it's moot).

I agree, but that's pretty much what BradyManny said: a valuable backup.

Remember, BJGE didn't crack the 53 until LoMo went on IR last year. We already have 1 RB departing (Jordan) and one coming back (Maroney). If Taylor signs, we'll have to have another departure, unless the Pats go with 6RB route (which I can't see happening).

edit: just reread JSn's post, and I agree that it's a moot point and that we actually seem to be thinking the same way on this. If Taylor doesn't sign, there's a spot for BJGE. If Taylor does sign, then there probably isn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back